don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Mh... been away for quite a while, haven't I? Well, I've been busy, if I wasn't doing schoolwork I was on holiday.
    Aaaanyway, enough of these poor excuses, here's a step closer to the finished explosion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Looks Really cool! Definitely two step forward the "Approval". :colbert:

Now because there is one last step:

-An overall blurriness still affect the animation frames, so make them a bit sharper.
    -On Last two frames, smoke particles are too big. They must be smaller to fade out the exploding animation properly.

3. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    Please make use of the alpha channel, It would look so much better if it was varied within that channel. If you can, look at emitter sprites in UT2k4. It isn't just you, I see many of the sprites being produced almost too faithfully, and we forget or are unaware that we have the alpha channel to play with. The animation should move from opaque -> clear ; more than big -> small particles. I know that's how the original sprites look, but they were working with an engine that has no opacity.

Also make the animation smoother, The last frame looks out of place.

4. Fred PJ

Fred PJ

5. Fred PJ

Fred PJ

Very rough and quick example of higher contrast on the hills:
    [​IMG]

6. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    Orange hills:
    Part of that is the radiosity from the sun, and the original palette; The darkest color is the darkest in the original.

Clouds:
    Remember these clouds are relatively fast moving and will probably resemble fog anyway.

Green:
    I was lazy, and this isn't the final product, it's a concept.

7. Fred PJ

Fred PJ

Yes, but since you added much darker shades that weren't on the original doing that makes the rest of the shades much lighter and not looking right.

Sorry, but that's really not the case. The clouds look too blurry on the edges anyway to look like clouds in a long distance like that.

8. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    gotcha

9. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Guys, further critiques on the HTZ mockup Cornet did for us are fairly useless. Vincent asked him to do that concept as a validation of his skill level, which he has surpassed and then some. It's not a piece we're looking to work into the final version at present as it's not in tiles. Might have it in with the extras though as concept art, who knows. There will be a another, even higher quality version, but that will come much later on in the scheme of things.

10. Fred PJ

Fred PJ

Oh, ok then! ;)

By the way, everything's looking really great guys, keep up the good work and the high quality level. :)

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    My new (re)works!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
  13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The U and V in the original were very similar so if I change it I will change the font =P!

[​IMG]

I has to be diagonal because it is the style I used, it follows the style of the zero.

And I'll try something on the star so.

Thanks for the feed back

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You big asshole LOL xDDDDDDDDDDDD Kidding (maybe not! xD). But, your feedback is important too (ok, sometimes it's not, whatever...) so thanks!

Here,

[​IMG]

better? =P

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I would rather do it the other way around: using gradients also for the tree itself. I'm not good at graphics but here's an example:
    [​IMG]

17. Ritchie Ramone

Ritchie Ramone

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    You could try combining the two approaches -- keep your sharp divisions, but apply color gradients where you currently have solid shades.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    CK, excelent idea! I'll try that out. And Ice, it seems that I only replaced the first and the last green polygon of the three xDD I'll fix that so you will be able to judge better, ok? =P