don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. I'm okay with Sonic having human friends as long as the story doesn't focus on the humans. I'm also very okay with Paul Rudd. Whatever, we've seen the worst Sega's asshole could pump out. If they can top Sonic Boom with a crappy movie I'll applaud their dedication to failure.

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Also I guess if they're still looking for actors, there's not much to make a consequential trailer with at the moment, huh?

3. Linkabel

Linkabel

Can't wait for Paul to promote the movie on Conan.

https://youtu.be/6bNzAgJMYVE

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

Honestly I now get a sick enjoyment out of seeing Sonic in garbage media. So I'm excited as hell for this movie.

5. Fadaway

Fadaway

I'm intrigued that the guy is to play a cop. With the right direction, this could be the setup to an excellent surrealist black comedy mockumentary, complete with a dead hooker scene. I'd watch that. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it'll be a family-friendly affair.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I will be shocked if it doesn't.

Ugh this looks awful

I mean I know we're not the target audience by any stretch but uuuuuuuuuugh

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Can't say I'm surprised about a human (co-)protagonist being considered; or that people (not here as of this writing but elsewhere) are defending it on the aforementioned "wider audience appeal" excuse. Gee, that actually sounds very damningly familiar to a recent Sonic project...*cough*"We don't want speed in a Sonic game"*cough*

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    To think, we're slowly moving towards a future where RedLetterMedia might one day sit and talk about a Sonic the Hedgehog movie... What a time to be alive.

9. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    More casting news:

Well, it's certainly a Hollywood movie I guess? They're going all-out.

10. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Oh, it will be launched at the right time for my birthday (well, 1 day before) just like this year does pokemon let's go. Videogame industry should stop giving my this kind of "awesome" birthday presents.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

I still can't believe they have it down to be released in November of that year if we're being honest. They're basically sending out the movie to die. Let's see the competition for that month:

Wonder Woman 2
    James Bond
    Margie Claus (the actual competition since it comes out on the same day.)
    Terminator 6
    Marvel/Fox movie
    And most importantly: Frozen 2

Now Margie and Terminator are eh, but the rest of them? I don't really see it being successful against those movies, even if the movie turns out to be a 10/10.

This looks like it might perform better in January or February 2020 (cause December is when Star Wars Episode 9 debuts).

12. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Considering this is a film adaptation of the Sonic series we're talking about, I totally can believe it. Bad ideas and bad decision making is practically in the franchise's blood.

Who wants to bet the budget for this film is going to be at least $100 million?

13. Turbohog

Turbohog

Hasn't this movie been delayed years already? There's no way it's actually going to come out in November 2019.

14. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    That's a given, considering the amount of CGI that would be required, and considering the murderer's row of films they expect to compete with. I can see this making it's budget back internationally (depending on how the distribution agreement is structured, I suppose), but at the domestic box office? This movie is toast.

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I've never wished something had stayed in development hell more than this movie.

I knew we had to take the corporate promises of Haruki Satomi with a huge grain of salt when it came to his claims that quality would be an overall focus of the series, but I really did think they would understand that they needed to be selective with how the brand was represented. I know the film has been in some state of production since before his time, but I wish he had flexed some power to kill the project. The only options that this movie has is either be abysmal or be so lambasting towards itself that its somehow saved by its own cynicism. Neither of which is beneficial to the brand.

I feel bad for the heaps of frustration Aaron is in for when he has to promote this thing when its an open secret no one has faith in it. Forces at least had its defenders. But the only people who are going to enjoy this movie are likely too young to know how to tweet.

I wish there was any hope of liking this film outside of its inevitable fourth-wall breaking irony.

16. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    The budget is reported to be $90 million. So yeah everything you said is on-point and correct. It's a mega-budgeted Hollywood film that seems destined to bomb. I guess brand power and the international market could see it turning an eventual profit but if it gets destroyed in reviews and turns out to be the car crash we expect losing money seems almost a certainty. From the link:

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    So, they're gonna film this entire movie and do all of the post-production within a year, and release this against Frozen 2 and Star Wars: Episode IX?

Do they have a death wish?

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean that seems to be jumping the gun slightly. I certainly expect nothing good of this but it's hard to tell when we only know of a handful of actors and a shooting location.

But that release date is a death sentence. For their sake they better reconsider before it's too late.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm not sure that there's any target audience for this project anymore...

20. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I don't get it. The only reason people expect this to bomb is because Sonic x Hollywood. I mean just go for it.