don't click here

Sonic Origins - Known Issues

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mustapha, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Davether

Davether

• Sonic 1: Toggling 7 chaos emeralds and then playing through the game until you reach the 7th special stage naturally (A.K.A, not entering the stage through the level select), will often crash the game. Seems to only be an issue on the Switch version.
    • Sonic 3&K: activating the cheat code that changes the title and zone cards to only display "Sonic 3" will cause the game to crash if you enter the slots Bonus Stage. Again, seems to be only a Switch version issue.
    • Sonic 3&K: the 12th special stage (grey Super Emerald) rewards you a blue Super Emerald instead. It gave the proper grey one in the genesis original, so its definitely not intentional.
    Minor nitpick: The Sonic/Tails "all Super Emeralds" ending will show a brief scene of Knuckles looking up to Sonic and Tails in gratitude after they returned the Master Emerald to him. In Origins this scene uses the new turning sprites for Knuckles, but that means the iconic "smile" from Knuckles isn't seen anymore. Very trivial, but how else can the player know Knuckles is on good terms with them now :(

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  2. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Knuckles' gameplay canonically takes place post-S3&K, and it's pretty obvious he's on good terms with him at the end of that. :V They save him in the Tornado and he smiles and gives them a thumbs-up before they fly off and send Angel Island into space.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I never thought that was him grinning more just staring off at them, which I feel like this new cutscene sprite better conveys

4. Davether

Davether

Touché!

You're right; I just took a look at a sprite sheet for Knuckles and that "smile" sprite is actually just a part of his 360 turning animation...my childhood memories lied to me :argh:

5. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    He's still smiling, though. Knuckles looks quite happy in a lot of his S3K sprites. He either smiles or loses his mouth.

6. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    A) The Sonic 1 crash you stated only occurs when you do a Sonic & Tails run (whether going for 6 or 7 emeralds), but yes this is a Switch exclusive issue that I reported to SEGA (no crash occurs for me on the PS4)

B) The Sonic 3&K crash with the slot machine bonus stage and the Sonic 3 branding cheat occurs on all platforms (it also happened to me on the PS4) and I also reported this to SEGA.

C) I did not really check the emerald when beating Special Stage 12 so I’ll be on the lookout for this one when going through Sonic 3 again

Also I don’t really care for the Knuckles smile in the good ending.. it originally signified him just looking out at Sonic and Tails in the distance so that extra sprite work in Origins is much appreciated in my opinion

7. Davether

Davether

Thanks for the clarification! If I may ask, what's the best way to report these issues to SEGA? I feel like I am better off sending it over to them instead of just posting them here, specifically the issues that haven't been reported yet.

8. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-us

There you go.. you just have to navigate a little bit to find the link to submit a request.

You're going to get the generic answers from whoever replies to your tickets; for me, they actually requested that I submit 10 second clips of the crashes in question, which I did.

I submitted 4 tickets total listing different bugs and gameplay oddities so here’s hoping that they take the feedback seriously for a future patch/update.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Davether

Davether

CORRECTION: The 9:59 Time Bonus IS in the game, it is just inaccessible in Anniversary mode due to the removal of the 10-minute time limit in that mode. I was able to obtain the bonus in Classic Mode.

Between this and the lack of "I'm Outta Here!" In CD's Anniversary mode, it makes me wish we could play Classic Mode games in widescreen :(

10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Well doesn’t it make sense that “I’m Outta Here” is not in Anniversary Mode considering, y’know, unlimited lives and no game overs?

They really should have made that a toggle to play with limited lives in widescreen… perhaps in the physical version if there is one?

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Still can't believe that sort of thing is hard locked to the game mode.

But hey it's sega and sonic, like mixing oil and water at this point.

12. protivakid

protivakid

[​IMG]

I'm glad someone else noticed this! The sound effect that plays at 0 is correct however in Death Egg Zone the 3..2..1.. use the incorrect sound for the light beam roller coasters. Minor but immediately stuck out for me.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    This seems to be a global issue where this sound is concerned, as the same issue happens during the Competition Mode countdown, which should use the same sound effect.

14. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

I still don't get how the Insta-Shield now makes the wrong sound in Sonic 2. Did a line of code get altered during the porting process or changing how the audio went? Or is it an odd intentional change like making SCD's Drop Dash use the charging sound effect?

15. Davether

Davether

Can we bring this topic back? I did a thorough playthrough of the 2.0 patch on Switch and can confirm the following bugs still exist:
    • Sonic 1: The game crashes when you clear the final special stage on a Sonic & Tails run.
    • Sonic 2: the sound effect for the insta-shield is wrong/different when compared to the other games.
    • Sonic 3&K: after using the "Sonic 3 title card" cheat code and entering a bonus stage, the game crashes.
    • Sonic 3&K: the 12th special stage rewards you with a blue Super Emerald when its supposed to be the grey one.
    • Sonic 3&K: defeating Knuckles while in a Super/Invincible state will softlock the game.
    • Sonic 3&K: after clearing Launch Base Zone, the stage music still plays during the cutscene showing the death egg crashing (might be intentional).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  16. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

While we're at it:
    - Disabling Super theme still has it play after a level's music gets interrupted by a story event.
    - S3&K's Super Peel-Out still breaks with Super/Hyper Sonic by turning into a ball instead of run sprite, often cancelling itself out and also serving as his top speed sprite.

17. The sound effect of Amy's "Hammer Drop Dash thing" after she hits the ground has this unbearable delayed sound effectt cut off. Almost like someone never bothered to open the file on Adobe Audition/Audacity and trim it properly... I'm not sure how they screwed that up.

18. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    They did fix the bad Sonic 1 Special Stage physics/gravity it seems. I'm not exactly sure which update did it because I have only played the launch 1.0 version before, then jumped straight into the new 2.0. Does anyone know if that fix was new or whether that was done in 1.4?

19. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Apparently Sonic uses Tails' physics in it and everyone else uses Sonic's?
    https://twitter.com/LittlePlanetCD/status/1673212300793184257?s=20

20. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    If you use your Super and Hyper form during the knuckles fight in Hidden Palace Zone (in S3K), the level will soft lock after knuckles goes off screen with the super music still playing.

• List