don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I get that. Backtrack a few comments.

All I'm saying is that there are enough people who enjoyed Ep 1 the way it was to make Sega think twice about rebuilding the engine from scratch. Would they really think it'd be worth it? Yea, I know they've got the physics down in Generations 3DS but now you're assuming Ep 2 is built of off that engine, which was only just finished. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

That and I'm pretty sure Balough said that there'd be no major physics changes. Don't quote me on that though.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Amazing how these rumors are just popping up now and no one has the balls to upload a screenshot or video of this shit.

3. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    You know that won't happen if you time your hits.

But on the factor of them not changing the physics...
    I think the the way Sonic 4 feels is just fine to me.
    It's what makes the game different.

4. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Oh dear.

He's caught in an infinite loop. :eng101:

5. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I have to call bullshit on all of this and act guilty until proven innocent.

This is just some guy most likely trolling or trying to cause a shit storm for everyone.

Anyone going to prove me wrong? *that's my cue for new shots and vids to leak.*

6. PARASOL

PARASOL

Anyone notice Sonic 4 episode 1 HD on the App store? I got it on iPad and it runs really slow with strangely unresponsive controls (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya wtf is this? It just released today apparently, with no announcement.

EDIT: Welp, fuck me. I thought that this would be compatible with the new iphone 4s since GTA III falls under similar guidelines and that game is far more intensive. So I just threw out $2. Whatever, it's only $2

8. Falk

Falk

Offtopic and late, but

http://2dboy.com/2011/10/03/xbla/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-21-making-an-xbla-game-the-inside-story-article

It affects indie and smaller development teams with limited budget more. e.g. Activision and CoD? They'll happily continue to make x360 time-exclusive DLC forever.

9. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Rather than be suckered by rumors, I will just stick to the fact we have no solid information at all about S4E2.

On the other hand I will go off of current knowledge and suspect S4E2 will be more of the same. Especially given what happened with Sonic Generations 3DS.

It was okay the first time, but if they release more shiny reused schlock I'm not buying. I'd rather just buy Sonic CD eight thousand times instead.

Though the physics was a much more minor point for me. It was... the music and the shiny stuff which disappointed me.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Cute fluffy kitten's "anonymous source" claims that Sonic 4 Episode 2 actually has better physics then Episode 1 and less pointlessly shiny art.

Take it as you will.

11. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Even on an iPad 2 this new version of Sonic 4 is pretty laggy. However, the Sonic model looks great, it's not glossy at all unlike the console versions.

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    It's not glossy? Can someone take a screenshot?

13. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    [​IMG]

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    How strange, then again Sonic 4 secretly released on the apple app store today so they may release this in secret as well.

How weird. why wouldn't SEGA want to announce this?

Wiki entry plz?

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Wow, that's a huge improvement. If this is a sign towards the design choices in Episode 2, then I'm a bit more excited.

16. serpx

serpx

If I was SEGA, I'd be worrying about not just sales, but also stitching up the open wounds left upon their Sonic fanbase from earlier games. Sure, they can just release Sonic 4: Episode 2 with the same physics, but what do you think would happen here in this SonicRetro community, and many more Sonic communities, if they did that? The game would sell, naturally, but would it hurt the franchise's current positive momentum, or help?

Not fixing the physics, from my business perspective, would be a god awful decision. The second rumor newsbit from you-know-where is one I am believing way more than the one from SegaBits. Also, is it possible this game has been in development longer than Episode 2? It's been over a year, and a new engine and mucho tweaks/gametesting makes sense to me. Assuming they started development quickly after the release of Episode 1.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Wow, that is a huge improvement. Love the no shiny.

Now they need to put actual effort into how they create the foregrounds without lousy photoshopping and stop being so lazy on the backgrounds and all of my complaints about the aesthetics will be resolved. I would love to see models implemented for level geometry rather than flat png's.

About the physics. I have no doubt that they will at least be tweaked if not actually improved. I would assume that the 3DS Sonic Generations port and Episode 2 were fairly close together as far as their development cycle, so I would hope that they would go for improvement rather than consistency in regards to Episode 1. I really don't want to be wrong about this :ohdear:

18. SmashX5000

SmashX5000

Simply Smashing Member
    Below Canada
    I'm working on a cartoon based on the Genesis games called Sonic Boom.
    Wow, that looks way better.

I didn't mind his shininess (although I played the Wii version, so he wasn't super shiny, just had a painted on mouth) before, but that looks a lot better.

19. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Um... how many polygons is that? If it's over 80, I think I found a reason for our lag.

Also I love how that model looks a hell of a lot better than the Wii one. No painted mouth and it looks straight out of Unleashed/PS360 Sonic 4.

Now I'm interested; are any fixes from the console version present? Such as his legspin animation kicking in at the correct time now? :specialed:

20. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Nope.

Sonic has the new model (best looking of all versions in my opinion), a new animation or 2, the console version's level select (but not the music), but otherwise everything is the same as the iPhone version.