don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I'm gonna spoiler-box since it's the no-spoiler topic. No actual spoilers within though, just feeling-type-impressions I got.

3K definitely pulls off the atmosphere of being a grand, cohesive adventure better. The environments themselves and the fluid level transitions between them, together they really flesh out Angel Island and sell the feeling that it could be a real place somewhere, with tons of mountain ranges and ruins waiting to be uncovered. Since Mania's more of a greatest-hits sort of deal, that aspect which I've always greatly admired about 3K takes an unavoidable hit. It still rears up in flashes, mind you. But there's less sense of journey, more of "lets smash these video game levels fam". And ultimately that's fine, really. It is a game after all, and a really fuckin' great one too.

That's the major-est of my minor niggles anyway, the others are too petty to even bring up. Ultimately I'm glad both games are around. They're both different, beautiful beasts.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think that we're even having a debate about whether it surpasses Sonic 3K means Sonic Mania must be really fucking good. Can't wait to play it.

3. True that brother. Cannot wait.

4. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Seeing as the release is so close, who's had trouble avoiding spoilers theses past two weeks? For some reason, it has been surprisingly easy for me. I'm not sure if it's because console players are being courteous and holding back spoilers, or I'm not on Twitch chats. Or, plugging up all the potential spoilers via retweets did the trick. :v:

It will be four more days in my timezone, in a few hours. If other series' hadn't come along and made me a bigger fan of them than Sonic, the wait would be somewhat difficult. (Getting around to playing my GoG copy of Mirror's Edge is holding me over in the meantime.)

Not that I stopped liking the Sonic series or "moved on". Otherwise, I wouldn't have smashed the pre-order button on Mania, and I've never pre-ordered a game before. :) Inner child is hyped.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I couldn't avoid spoilers even if I tried. YouTube knows me too well and assholes who failed to put custom preview cards on their videos resulted in leaked pictures. I'm just glad the wait is over for me now... and I've gone and beat it 6 times :v:

6. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Word right back to you brother. Just as hyped as you.

Surprisingly easy or me. Though generally I primarily use here and NeoGAF and on NeoGAF they've been shockingly courteous and strict, locking spoilers behind the dedicated Sonic Mania threads. I've intentionally and purposefully avoided YouTube and Twitter like a mad man. I'm absolutely determined to go in blind come Tuesday.

On another note what did you guys think of my idea to have a new and dedicated Steam release thread? For those of us that missed out on all the action in the main thread?

7. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member
    Im doing alright avoiding spoilers, one thing slipped through the cracks on me but that was because a steam friend thought I played the console version already and started talking about it.

My method of avoiding spoilers is pretty extreme for most people but they involve the following:

Explanations:

The video blocker plugin removes any videos related to the above keywords, it also will redirect you to the youtube homepage if someone links you a video with those keywords.

Deleting cookies resets youtube's recommended list(unless you log into your account).

In other news:

Related to earlier topics about controllers, i'll be using a steam controller myself, its not the best for 2D games but I managed to get through freedom planet pretty well with it.

Edit: Oh and I have disconnected from any sonic IRC based channels/servers.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No. We've already got two Mania threads and what you're asking for is essentially what the main one does. =P

9. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Fair enough. Just an idea. Looking forward to catching up on all the impressions in the main thread once the Steam release hits.

10. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    This very thread could be the one for it then, I don't think we'll fear spoilers after the big day finally comes.

11. Creature SH

Creature SH

I think that would have the potential of upsetting people who click on a topic with "Spoiler-free" in the title, expecting it to be, you know, spoiler-free.

12. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    It's looking like we'll be maintaining both threads without creating a new one - so I would presume both threads will maintain their current purpose. As in this will remain the spoiler free thread whilst the other one will simply see an in-flux of members discovering the game for the first time with the Steam release. Not the most ideal scenario but I see where Overlord is coming from in that more than two threads would be Sonic Mania overload.

In other news Steam sales currently stand at 50K. The game has seen a recent surge in sales that has almost certainly been caused by the rave reviews and extremely positive critical reception. So that bodes well for the game's eventual sales trajectory. I can easily see Mania beating Sonic CD's 350K eventually. 500K should be more than possible.

So we're about 3.5 days away from the Steam release. So excited to finally play this next week.

13. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    There are people who will wait to buy, or won't discover Mania until three months or so after launch, so keeping this thread open might still be helpful. People could ask questions before buying without any risk of spoilers.

If I had the option, I would've caved and gotten a console version too. Another $20 thrown at a $20 game is still technically a steal, when I think about how Sonic 3 and Knuckles carts were totally separate $60 games each. And Mania is implied to be as long as Sonic 3&K, iirc.

I don't visit too many forums myself. (Would like to be more active on tSR, however.) Interesting to know NeoGAF, of all places, is being nice about spoilers.

As much as I wish Tuesday would come sooner, I do have this small pile of homework to take care of, and friends want to play Allstars Racing Transformed with me lately. :specialed: It's all good.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It's a $20 game. (less than $10 for South America) why wait?

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If it's out everywhere and you really want it, you'll prob buy it at launch. If you're waiting and seeing and judging then you'll prob be ok with spoilers. If you're part of that group of 5 people who for some reason can't get the game but want to avoid spoilers, that's on you at that point.

16. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    At least in Mania's case, it should run on almost anything, so even people with older laptops don't have to miss out on the fun. That's not the case with a lot of games I'd like to play, but don't have the hardware for yet. (My PC can run Arkham City and any Valve game at 720p, but not Arkham Knight, etc.) Gonna have to upgrade my PC at some point or I'll be worrying about dodging spoilers for Borderlands 3. :specialed:

I know a couple of people on the fence about buying it. (They're not long-time fans, but are curious about the Mania hype.) Personally, I was unsure about Undertale myself for a little while, and instantly regretted waiting around when I played it. There will be cases like that.

As well as maybe the occasional person who lives under a metaphorical rock and didn't hear about Mania until the next Steam sale or something. :v:

17. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think I'll just be glad to experience the relief of the constant spoiler evasion being gone. Whenever I click on YouTube I have to force myself to look away because you just know there's going to be a thumbnail with a zone in there or something. Same with NeoGAF to a certain extent - they've been very courteous and strict but there are still a plethora of spoilers in the dedicated Sonic threads. I'll be glad to finally be able to participate in our main thread here and the dedicated threads and OT on NeoGAF.

So 72 hours to go. Also we should hear about the game's sales in the near future too, now the game's been out for a while. Early signs are encouraging however.

18. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Cooljerk's proposal to the problem of keeping another spoiler-free thread should solve the problem easily (from the now spoiler thread back when the game was revealed).
    And extending it to being required for new member registration. I'm only half-joking. :v:

Personally I'm just as excited to see the PC version as you people if there's any possibility that it's a newer build than the console ones, and it's just the most convenient version for me in the long run. I have no qualms with replaying all of my progress from the console version so far.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well for me I'll be happy to play the PC version since I'll be able to use my Saturn controller and play this properly :v:

20. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It'd have to be a newer build, wouldn't it? Otherwise what's even the point of delaying it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.