don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I thought Rush was supposed to be a good game though, even though it wasn't like Classic Sonic.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Current estimates have me able to play the game next weekend or Friday of next week at the earliest. Honestly think I may as well just wait for the PC release at this point, given that even if I get a console I'll only be able to play the game a few days early. Succeeded in evading spoilers however. Haven't had anything major spoiled thus far.

Many of you here still waiting? How are you holding up?

EDIT: Sales seem to be gradually climbing on Steam Spy. Up to almost ~40K thus far.

Looks like the PC delay hasn't dampened PC sales whatsoever. Wonder whether we'll find out about console sales soon?

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    It's a little hard for me knowing there's still over a week left to go before Mania releases. But, this break from college has given me a chance to catch up on old games I missed out on growing up. I finally played and beat Halo 2, (After 12 years of not having access to it; felt good.) and I got all the time stones in Sonic CD twice over, etc.

Sonic CD was legit worth throwing an entire afternoon at, with my laptop plugged into the living room TV. I would like to do the same with Mania when it launches.

Sonic Rush is certainly its own beast, when compared to the classics. It felt like the play style refined what they aimed for with Sonic Advance 2. (Which was markedly different from Advance 1.) And I will agree it's not for everybody, but I liked it; I would even say it's one of my top favorite 2D Sonics. Rush reignited my interest in Sonic when it was nearly gone in my early adult years. It even got me back into playing the classics. :specialed:

Since the GBA/DS games took their own gameplay route, now it's only natural for Classic Sonic to get that chance too. If all parties involved are willing and able, I'd love to see the classic side of things taken to new heights.

4. Deef

Deef

@Yeow

If I came to spoiler-free thread and saw review scores, I'd be annoyed. Hide it at least, imo. (Not personally bothered, already got the game, but I was really bothered when I accidentally saw IGN's score before playing.)

5. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

For PC players that still haven't pre-ordered the game, you can apparently save $2 if you buy the Steam key from Bundle Stars within the next eight days.

Dealzon suggests that this can be lowered by another $1.60 by using the SUMMER10 coupon code within the next day, but I've seen some users state that this doesn't work for them, with no confirmation that it does actually work.

6. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    If we're talking Sonic Rush, it isn't so much that it was a bad game in as much as it became part of the template for the 2d sections of the boost games which are fairly forgettable.

For the record, I HATE the run behind segments in the boost games. I find myself asking, "Why do I have to hold up?".

The special stages of the classics did this better. Hell, the auto run sections of SLW do it way better.

7. Retroman

Retroman

Boost mechanic was pretty lazy to be honest and frustrating to me. Couldn't really take it seriously - why have momentum based physics when you can just press a button?

Really enjoyed the 3d special stage in Sonic Mania, it honestly has better auto run physics and control than the mediocre wii titles *cough* Sonic and the Secret Rings *cough*

This game is so fun to play, it's like I'm actually a kid again playing the Sega Megadrive.

8. serpx

serpx

How does a review score spoil the game? Sounds like a stretch.

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I was thinking the same thing. I reverie score says pretty much nothing for the personal experience unless it was a horrible score which pretty much tells the wild its a horrible game, which we knew this wouldn't be.

10. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It's a good game to a point. The level layouts are a bit on the bland side, and the split screen thing can be literally nauseating for some people, but it's mostly not bad for what it is.

Rush Adventure is considerably better, provided you use an Action Replay or similar device to eliminate the minigames and resource-based progress blocks that require you to replay levels in hopes the RNG favors you with the shit you need. But damn it had fun levels.

The problem with these games isn't even with these games. The problem is that their physics were clearly built around a certain type of gameplay. They were sloppy, and Sonic had a tendency of sticking to walls while barely moving, or losing all his speed the second you let go of the D-Pad. It didn't matter in the Rush trilogy (including Colors DS) because you could get max speed in an instant and rarely weren't moving super fast. But it led to Sonic 4, which was clearly evolved from Rush physics but without level design suited to it or a boost mechanic. So all of a sudden, all these things that worked in the Rush trilogy are major problems despite being pretty much the same, simply for a few other things that changed.

11. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Ok, so I've made it threw my first play through of the game. I won't spoil anything, of course. I spread my playtime over 2 days with a several sittings because I wanted this elated feeling to last forever. The game is very intense. To those concerned about the rehashing of old zones, don't be, they are all masterpieces.

I'm sort of jealous of you guys that haven't played yet. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever felt anything like what I felt playing Mania. I guess for me it was sort of like the rush of being on a roller coaster, where you're just having such a thrill that you can't wipe the smile off your face. People are actually telling me that it makes them excited to see me so happy. It's almost like some orgasm for your mind... the music, the art, the speed, the nostalgia, all of it hitting high notes at once. To those who see me gripe on here frequently about how much I hate what has been done to Sonic, or how I pine for the classic aesthetic and sole of the franchise... THIS IS IT. It took 2 decades for this game to finally happen and it was worth the wait, it's a damn shame it took so fucking long, fuck, but it's actually good enough. To have been worth it.

It seems impossible that this game could not get a sequel. I feel so fortunate to have this love of Classic Sonic reborn and the prospect of another new Classic Sonic game, with all new zones, makes me hopeful for the future. This game was literally a drug. While nothing is ever 100% perfect I can assure you all that this game is going to light fireworks in your heart and mind. I'm just gushing!!

12. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Another way of saying this is, the BOOST gameplay isn't how Sonic should play despite the mechanics on their own being quite functional. It is how BLAZE should play though. She had an added hover ability which is perfect for backtracking should you boost off a cliff.

The Boost mechanics are a way of Sega trying to improve the classic mechanics in the most asine way. I'm certain the conversation went something like this:

Dimps: We did a good job recreating the feel of the Classic games with Advance 1, what should we do for the sequel.
    Yuji Naka: Make everything faster.
    Dimps: You're a genius.

That isn't just a joke. Here's an interview where Yuji Naka talks about Advance 2 being faster.
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Yuji_Naka_interview_by_Prima_(2003)

You'll notice he also mentioned the stages being, "six times larger" to help facilitate all the unnecessary running.

Edit: You know, it's ironic that a series with a basis of a fast character was botched so badly by the idea of going even faster.

13. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

That or just do it once and then never do it again. I mean, unless you actually want to experience the story again for some reason. Otherwise, you can just pick the main stages/bosses, hidden stages, and Johnny races from the main island.

Anyway, I consider Rush Adventure to be the pinnacle of Dimps' work. It saddens me that they'll probably never develop a true successor that plays like the first two games or have a chance to make a vastly improved sequel to their version of Lost World like they were able to with Rush.

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    VectorCNC: Awesome impressions man. Consider my hype level set to maximum after reading your glowing thoughts. Thanks.

On another note, anyone know how Sonic Mania has ~700 players on Steam Spy? The game hasn't released yet on Steam so how is that possible? Also two more questions for those that have played Mania. How long is the game? In terms of a single playthrough as Sonic in hours? If that's a spoiler and you shouldn't post it here disregard this question.

And for the second question - is the game up there with Sonic 3K? Does it potentially surpass it? Super excited to finally play the game next week.

15. DevCon

DevCon

Hearing the announcement on the 11th made it feel like forever until we were getting this game, at least, for those with no second option and all, but at this point we're now only about 8 days away. Thankfully I haven't been spoiled terribly outside of a few thumbnail peeks at levels especially since I put a video blocker on my browser.

As far as SteamSpy goes, I think we can just assume that it isn't extremely accurate. ~700 players doesn't sound quite right for playtesters / developers, especially considering its also saying the peak concurrent players yesterday were only ~2.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Personally I feel the only reason anyone could say it doesnt surpass 3K is the inclusion of the re-done levels.
    If like me that doesn't bother you in the slightest and you care more about the amount of content, fun, and gameplay, then it definitely, definitely does. I don't think playing any of the classics will be as fun as this any more.

17. Awesome, glad you guys are loving it. Looking forward to my mania binge next week.

It's not perfect, but last time I had classic Sonic feels like Vector was with After The Sequel - I love that game. If some problems where sorted & a bit of a graphical upgrade/refinement was made, it would deff be one of my top all time Sonic games.

18. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I think it definitely surpasses Sonic 3&K. It will probably rank as the best Classic game to most people. As far as story is concerned, in comparison to Sonic 3&K, I felt that Mania wasn't as grand in terms of scope. However, S3&K has the benefit of history, whereas Mania only just happened, so it's sort of hard to call that this soon. I mean, everyone is aware that Mania revisits a lot of previous zones, so that had to be worked into the story, obviously. Whereas S3&K told a straight forward story, A to B, it was just a more natural story progression in my view, and for that I might say S3&K has the better story, but to repeat, S3&K is already baked in, it's history... so time will tell for Mania and it's story. I've honestly only beat the Sonic and Tails campaign thus far, so the various other aspects of the story are something I cannot consider yet.

As has been advertised, the themes of the second Acts are built upon those of the first Act, just like in S3&K, and in this regard Mania excels. What they were able to do with the second Acts will blow your mind. Each time you pass Act 1, you will be vibrating in your seat with anticipation for the second act. This applies to the revisited Zones too. It's as though Sega said, "you must include these zones" and the Mania Team found a way to both adhere to the rules and totally break them, in essence creating something totally new. It was actually spectacular to revisit these old zones and see how transformed they could become. You know like, say a zone took place in a particular area, and that's all you know of it, now for the first time you get to pull the curtain back and see what's on top of it, or behind it, or explore that area in the distance. Each second act feels almost as though its an entirely new zone. What you do see of the entirely new zones will make you HUNGRY for an entirely new game.

19. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Sales reports coming in.

Mania is now #1 on the Nintendo eShop, and is still at the top of the charts there as of this writing.

Sega also released a statement this morning that in the UK, Mania had beaten Crash as the #1 game in the region "by a wide margin". It however wasn't listed due to it being a digital only title.

I've already said what I've needed to say about the situation about Mania and it's lack of a physical release--so the only thing I will say here is that Sega has only themselves to blame.

20. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Thanks for the additional impressions and feedback everyone. Consider my hype in overdrive.

Also those sales results are extremely encouraging and pleasing to see. Sonic Mania has glowing reviews and a very impressive Metacritic score so if sales are phenomenal too then that's a very positive sign that we could get Sonic Mania 2. The game seems like a resounding success both critically and now commercially.

Hearing all these positive comments has made me compelled to the play the game ASAP. Still patiently waiting on the Steam release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.