don't click here

Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The large majority of talk I've seen has largely forgone those images though. I was thrilled when I saw those item boxes in that one shot since it's about damn time a brand with actual clout tries to challenge Mario Kart. Perhaps it'll give Nintendo the right smack across the face to make a Mario Kart on par with 64.

The point is, let's get some actual video of the game in motion before the knives get thrown around. We've done this for Unleashed and Black Knight. I don't see why we can't do it again for this one. We only get a quarter of the message with images and a CGI video.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That level is straight from Sonic Heroes though, the Ocean Palace level. Unless you consider that a spin-off.

EDIT: And it's always GHZ too. Can't they reference ANY of their other stages? I'm fucking tired of that one already.

3. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    I don't care what they do just as long as they don't steal and rape my idea before I get to SOA to design games. (I'm not discussing this idea as I have about 1 million times already in various threads.)

4. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Doesn't anybody think Sonic might actually want to drive a car because it's fun? As long as he's going fast, he doesn't care about the mode of transportation.

5. Graxer

Graxer

Id be interested to know whether the track layouts for the 360/PS3, the Wii and the DS versions will be the same. They kept the versions of SEGA Superstars Tennis quite true to each other in court design after all. If they are, the capabilities on the DS may hold back the possibilities a bit.

6. I was about to ask whether or not it uses it. How do you know it doesn't use the HE?

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic thinks running is lame now, so he uses a car.

8. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Because Sega isn't making the game probably. I would assume Sumo Digital is again.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Just look at the screenshots: http://www.tssznews.com/2009/05/28/sonic-s...cing-announced/
    It could be because it's WIP, but this doesn't look like Hedgehog Engine to me.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Because of rules and regulations in order to participate in the competition in the first place.

It could be because it's WIP, but this doesn't look like Doom to me.

[​IMG]

11. It is. Note that they ported OutRun 2 several times, if it means anything.

12. Cap

Cap

Seriously, why do people insist on bashing every attempt of a Sonic racing game, by yapping. Sonic can just run faster everyone, or Sonic doesn't need a car. Firstly, doesn't anyone understand the concept of a competitive race. If you have a game, where everyone's in cars, whilst sonic simply runs around the track 10x faster than anyone, it's 110% gonna be crap.

Also, any form of racing has regulations, and the regulations revolve around the car, not the person. The thing in competition is the car, not the driver. In a race (and this has happened many a time) if your car stops inchs from the finish line, you have to push the car across the line. If you walk across the line, it's not a finish.

I mean, to say Sonic doesn't need to drive a car, is like saying tails doesn't need a plane. Driving cars is all about the enjoyment. If you can run faster than a car, your still gonna want to drive a car for the unique enjoyment.

13. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Not exactly true. I saw this one video on youtube once of a racer who's car was totally trashed on the last lap so he got out of his car and jogged to the finish line. It was still counted as finishing the race. (Keep in mind that I still hate most sports, especially racing and anything sports related such as racing unless its something like Sonic R. The only time I'll remotely play a car racing game is if I get to smash and wreak my own car as well as others by driving the wrong way.)

14. Huh, Diddy Kong Racing-style Sonic.

I like.

15. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Tails has been visibly shown in the games to get tired very quickly from flying.

Sonic, however, never seems to tire in any capacity ever.

Running is Sonic's unique skill. It's what sets him apart from all other characters. Yes, I'm sure there are rules and whatever to make it a fair race which means Sonic has to drive a car...

But that's a Sonic Labyrinth explanation. Yes, it explains why Sonic can't be Sonic, but it doesn't mean the game is going to be fun as a result, and it especially does not mean it's going to play to the strengths of the character.

This is Sonic at his most cash-cow-iest. He exists in this game as a brand name and a brand name only. If Sega didn't want this to be a brand-name circle-jerk, any character could probably replace Sonic and nobody would be the wiser.

16. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I'd love to see chemical plant as a track.
    [​IMG]

17. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Been pondering it for awhile, SEGA always insists on "reinventing" the tone and artwork with something new and obscure almost every game.
    Stop making me sad over the fact awesome shit like this will never happen. :(

18. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Now that would be interesting to see. References to levels from Sonic CD would be neat as well.

Nonetheless, it is most probable we're going to see an Eggman-themed level.

19. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I would think an Eggmanland themed level is a given. It looked too much like a place for a race, and to think of all the really cool imagery, the factory parts, the roller coasters, melted iron or lava hazards, with some wicked jumps, not to mention driving on conveyor belts...

I'm going to be very sad if any of these ideas aren't in the level.

20. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Sonic's theme is speed.

I guess the first thing that comes to mind when hearing the word "Car" is not "Race" or "Fast" anymore. Nope, Sonic can only be connected to speed while he's RUNNING.

I love how Mario can get away with any sporting shit as long as its "good," but a Sonic RACING game will be automatically panned if the characters aren't using pedestrian transport. I mean, does TENNIS play to the strengths of Mario? Oh! How about faffing about? Does faffing about play to Mario's strengths? He sure does a lot of that in the "critically acclaimed" Mario Party series.

I can assure you that if we took Sonic and Mario from their respected universes and showed them the list of games made about them, Sonic would probably think that this and Riders seem very stylistically interesting, since he is a speed aficionado and all that.

Meanwhile, Mario would be asking people to explain why his company thought it would be cool to put him in a glorified video board game, and telling them all about the expanded character introspectives that they could have added to the 3D platformers to add at least some level of characterization to Peach and other characters.

Of course, this is just me being contrary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.