don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Nice to see Sonic Generations still the best selling game on Steam despite the deal ending yesterday, Terraria overtook it for a while but Sonic's back on top now!

edit: And in the space of an hour it's dropped down to 13th place!

2. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Posted this in other knowledge too ...

The Super Sonic Racing remix by Cash Cash in Sonic Generations 3DS has no sega saturn advert lyrics in the end (I loved those)

Kinda like removing the WHOO .. AW YEAH from City Escape Classic on the HD version.

3. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Well, I imagine the lack of WOO and AW YEAH in Classic City Escape is to make it match up with Modern City Escape.

(though Modern City Escape also has no reason to lack those lyrics. oh well!)

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    To be fair though, at least in the Dreamcast version, you only heard that part after dying and respawning at a checkpoint.

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Got this game for Christmas, and I have to say it's basically the Sonic game I've been waiting for for over 10 years. A lot of fun and I was hooked right into the game and didn't get the "I can just turn this off" semi-boredom feel I usually get with the newer games.

The cut scenes are surprisingly entertaining, with almost self-parody-style humour.

Game feels good and natural to play and the level designs with multiple paths really are superb, though so far I've only got up to Sky Sanctuary (shows you how much free time I have these days). Still interested to see what Sonic 4 episode 2 brings to the table as well.

6. I'm surprised Frozen Nitrogen hasn't popped in here to say that SEGA basically used the names for the Iblis enemies we have in our wiki entry for Sonic 06.

So essentially he made canon?

7. Anyone have the leaked game script, just to make sure the names weren't in there? X-CulT seems to have lost that.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    What, you mean...

This?

9. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Not like it's the first time. The Sonic the Hedgehog Sticker Collection lifted my character descriptions verbatim from the wiki.
    (lol they didn't even correct my spelling)

There've been occasional subtelties as well, before this: things that aren't obviously lifted from the wiki, unlike the above, but that arouse suspicion when the official media suddenly starts using the same terminology that we do. Remember that bit in Colours HD where Eggman refers to the planet as "Sonic's world", and at the time it was mentioned on the forums that this turn of phrase seemed a little unorthodox? Call me a egomaniacal conspiracy theorist if you want, but it seems a curious coincidence that we'd previously settled on "Sonic's world" on the wiki as a neutral compromise between Earthfags and Mobiusfags.

So yeah, this is why you should all edit the wiki more, people. You insert your biases subtly enough, and in due time they will become fact.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh god...there watching us man...peering with their eyes and probing our wikis for infomation. QUIT WATCHING ME SEGA! MY FAN-MADE FACTS WILL NOT BECOME YOURS!!

*Ahem* Anyways, Kind of cool SEGA relies (sort of) on us to provide them with facts. Shows how powerful our little wiki here is to the fanbase. Hopefully people don't get any wrong ideas though and start attacking the wiki for lulz.

11. Steven M

Steven M

Tchyeah. Future ROM compilations will be preceded with a "The game you are about to play is a product of its time etc" warning.

VVVVVV And K2J wins the no-prize

12. Which is from (IIRC) Looney Tunes reruns anyway.

13. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Late to yet another party, I got Generations just today. I just cleared Planet Wisp and am about to get the keys to the boss. So far, Modern Sonic is Unleashed Day But Good. Classic Sonic feels like he's modern minus the moveset and plus a stupidly-overpowered spin dash.

Not to say I'm not enjoying this. Sky Sanctuary Act 2 almost made my gonads explode with delight. I think I'll be playing the tits off this.

14. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Wait wait wait. What? I mean, I know all about the Iblis worm thing, but I didn't know anything about the Sonic's World bit. I mean, the games take place on Earth and all, an-sorry, this is not the proper place and time to get into that. Either way, I'm not sure what to think about Sega just taking things from the wiki and using it in official products. Because to me, all it says is that Sega does not care enough to keep track of their own franchises, and instead rely on fanmade compilations to keep everything in check. While we are the best Sonic resource around, there are mistakes here and there. I'd rather find out we've been wrong about something for years than to find out that Sega is just lazy has turned an inaccuracy into fact.

15. Falk

Falk

Um. Sometimes it's a conscious decision to use terms that the community already uses.

Then again Sonic has had so many 'official' canon offshoots that it's a huge mess, anyway.

16. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'm not getting this. Sonic's world is earth. Earth is Sonic's world. It's not OUR earth, but it is earth, no matter what way you dice it. It's been referred to as earth in the Sonic media a lot. Does Eggman actually say Sonic's world? I don't remember that in Colours at all anyway, but it certainly means nothing. The earth I'm on is MY world, but there's no hidden agenda behind me saying that.

17. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Yeah, this isn't just "being lazy". If the community's already using a widely-accepted and perfectly fine name for a character, sometimes a developer/writer will just go with it as it's far less likely to piss people off by giving concepts a less applicable/creative/catchy name or spreading confusion by having fans learn two names for the same character when one's already widely circulated.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    He says Sonic's world several times, see the following cutscene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr9fCiPzDp0

1:38, 2:43

And this is NOT a Earth vs Mobius debate topic, so let's not even START down that road.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Damn, I can't believe I forgot about those. It's a pretty easy choice to explain, I think really they've gone for Sonic's world, because earth sounds so boring. Most things are set on earth, but, well, they are and they aren't. They're more like alternate earths, so it would be a lot better to distinguish.

Awesome.

Anyway, moving on, I wouldn't want to fuel any pointless debates on the horizon.

20. Falk

Falk

The best example I can think of of another high-profile company doing this would be Blizzard and the formative years of WoW. From a shit ton of raid/dungeon terminology all the way to calling set epics "tiers", Blizzard adopted a -lot- of community terms. Granted, MMOs are a lot more community driven and these really refer more to game mechanics than lore, but there you have it.