don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner

Did people not realize the grapple was press X to get over level segment and substitutes the homing attack? That much was very clear from the first footage.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Well my brief solace of renewed optimism lasted long, lol. Just read their write-up and yeah they criticised the hell out of it, citing some fundamental issues that won't be resolved by release and it reads like a bad preview at best. I think if Sonic Stadium is being this harsh when they're Sonic super fans then I honestly dread to think what more mainstream review outlets are going to say when they score this game in just over a month. I'll still keep an eye on the game regardless but with every preview that's like this that comes out my hopes keep getting dashed.

I'll wait for reviews to see what the critical reception is but early indications like this are not looking promising.

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    That hurt to read. This almost feels like Sonic Team is trying to make as little as possible while appealing to the DeviantArt/SA2 sect of the fanbase, just to see how far they can stretch that edge over the game design. I'll reiterate my belief they are tired, and they should work on a new IP after this for a bit.

4. RikohZX

RikohZX

I don't agree with the guy's sentiments that Modern Sonic was always boost to win, but I don't want to stir a massive shitstorm about that one.
    Either way you look at it, clearly something very, very wrong happened in Forces' development if not all the way back at its conceptualization.

5. Definitely glad I was right in my personal assessment to just wait for the soundtrack and avoid the game entirely.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ouch. That sounds dreadful.

I might watch a playthrough of this before I buy it. Def not preordering it though...

What a blow after Mania.

7. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    So it's a game made for the Sonic Adventure 3 facebook crowd. Gotcha.

8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I'll watch the cutscenes on Youtube, but there's no way I'm paying for this. Not even $5 used.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I feel like Sonic Team is trying really hard to make this game utilize as little gameplay as possible to avoid having to go back and unbreak something.

10. Retroman

Retroman

Going to watch the cutscenes and play the demo then probably not going to buy since it's probably terrible.

I don't know if this is Sega's fault or the too big to not win Sonic Team. With Sonic Mania, they got stuff done since it was few people and they know each other and agree on most things plus know what makes a good game.

11. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    IIRC Aaron said there wasn't going to be a public demo, the reason given was that putting one together would take up too much resources.

12. I got my head outta my ass this time

This game is looking to market towards the creative side of the base, the (decent) fanfiction writers, the artists with avatars Etc. Etc. Classic sonic doesn't mean much anymore because he's an anniversary gimmick. Modern sonic is back to boosting which is nice for those fans yeah? the music is of course good as expected from a modern title*.

The avatar is a nice new gimmick that isn't genre shifitingly intrusive, I got to experience their gameplay and while it is subject to change they're a slightly slower version of modern sonic and the wispons are their combat tools that get the job done (health bars? hell no).

The levels are pretty ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh but they aren't horrible by any definition. Short? yes. Bland? teetering. unplayable? No. They also are the early levels so they get a pass from me (I'm not here for lost levels bull****)

The tag team looks okay, **while full 3d is nice, its level design will have to compensate which comes with the burden of unfair difficulty.

If they are reusing old modern levels why are most so bitter about that? It'd be nice to see a revamped egg fleet with its awesome track, Or white Jungle, hell think about how beautiful kingdom valley would look! double boosting across the parted water? sign me and the rest of the 06 fans up! If mania did it with minor level changes why can't forces? smaller team? nope, whithead's team knew what they were doing and went with it. Lets not throw Sonic team under the bus and back it over them for going with a similar concept. (don't be hypocrites now)

Was D playing with a fucking banana Peel? good to know stadium is still writing amazing and unbiased articles. that site is pure bullshit.

When the $^&* was there any hint of the grapple hook being controlled like spiderman? how can anyone take those @#%&& seriously?

*majority thinking but still subjective
    **speculation

13. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    In response to the above post, Super Mario Odyssey. Why can't it be like that?

Or like Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. That was $40

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hell, Mario Odyssey has rolling physics and a level that looks like Planet Wisp and Station Square.

It's more Sonic than this game is.

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

Guys, just play Sonic Unleashed on PS3 or Xbox 360. That was when they cared.

Too bad that as expected, the Switch version of Forces is awful. Are there any side-by-side comparisons?

16. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    I'd thought we were going to see some actual footage of avatar creation. All we got was stupid picture of a chao backpack.

17. The switch isn't as powerful as its alternatives, before you hit me with the "mario odyssey looks perfect as well as breath of the wild" let me ask you: Were they also being developed for much stronger consoles (and pc's)?

I might bear the title of "modern defense force(s)" but i won't be unfair with comparisons or look for the bad while outright Ignoring the positives. das nut wut wii do

Odyssey having slope physics is cool though, props to nintendo for the dev team thinking of everything.

18. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I'm much rather we didn't settle on the levels being "not broken" and "playable" as the metric for why we should give the level design in this game a pass. Past Sonic games (and in the case of Mania, recent Sonic games) and competing platformers (especially Mario Odyssey) have strived for a much higher pedigree of quality level design.

Because the series been drowning in Green Hill remakes and knockoffs (Splash Hill/Windy Hill/etc.) and heavy nostalgia throwbacks (Sonic 4, Generations, Mania, and now Forces too) over the past several years, in stark contrast to most Sonic games that came prior. Colors was the last game to be mostly (if not entirely) comprised of original levels we hadn't seen before.

I also don't know where you've been concerning Mania; despite the praise the game has gotten, many people have complained about the game having more remixed levels over original levels. Complaints about Forces gearing up to be yet another game with several recycled zones has nothing to do with what playstyle Forces is aiming for.

You do realize that games typically start their production on PCs first? They don't literally start building games on the console hardware itself.

You never see smoke without hot takes.

19. Eshorn

Eshorn

That line of thinking (in general, not targeting you) is why I feel Sonic Team feels it's ok to rehash some zones *cough*Green Hill*cough* and put little effort into solid level design for new zones. This settling for "well, at least it isn't as bad as such-and-such" is going to keep producing "well, at least it isn't as bad as such-and-such."

I'm somewhat looking forward to Forces. I think it has potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing if/how it ties in with Mania. Not to the point where I'll buy it immediately, especially with the above description stating the early levels are meh, but if I like what I see after a while I'll give it a shot myself.

20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Yeah I'm not going to pre order this game. None of the extra costumes are worth it honestly. I'll just ask for it for Christmas, that way I don't have to spend my own money on it. :v: