don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCh9--2xcKk

It was all going so well until Classic Sonic showed up. I mean... what? I've never been so disappointed to see Classic Sonic. And I can't believe I'm saying that. But holy crap, otherwise this looks totally exciting.

2. Turbohog

Turbohog

I have similar thoughts. I'm not too excited since we've already got Mania, and I know Classic Sonic will play better in Mania than in this game. Also, I wish we had some actual gameplay.

3. Yep, feelin' the same. I wonder what form the game'll take. It showed the sidescrolling modern style gameplay, and I dig that, but I'm not ecstatic about a return to the clunky modern-classic style.

Also the tone is really not what I want in a Sonic game. Ugh.

4. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    The generic destroyed city environment and the generic "epic" trailer nonsense was hype-killing, but then Classic Sonic showed up and FUCK EVERYTHING.

If it weren't for Sonic Mania, I'd be flipping a fucking table by now.

5. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    I just hope the 'epic' scenes in this aren't limited to the marketing material this time and there's some semblance of an adventure. Given the time they've had on this, it'll likely be at least better than how Generations handled it.

6. Turbohog

Turbohog

I've said this numerous times today, but I was really hoping for Sonic Adventure 3. However, that being said, I think Generations 2 is a smart move. It would be stupid to not make another game built off of the Generations engine and whatnot (which I'm assuming this will use) since Generations was probably the best received Sonic game in the last decade. Hopefully this game isn't super boost to win.

Also, apparently Iizuka said this game was NOT a sequel and is a "new" experience. lol wut? Looks like Sonic Generations 2 to me.

Edit: Also, I agree with what some others have said. They stereotypical destroyed city scene was kind of a turn-off for me.

7. It's hilarious how tepid I am to this teaser because of having Sonic Mania to look forward to in the spring. Still, the Generations formula of 2D/3D stages works really well, and the 3D Classic Model is so perfect. I kind of don't care why Classic Sonic is back

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    We don't NEED Classic Sonic in this. He will play superiorly in Sonic Mania. I wanted a pure, boost formula game, which granted, looks like we're getting, but seriously, a year of hinting and hype for A PRE-RENDERED TRAILER AND NOT EVEN A NAME.

No gameplay, no name, ugh. I watched that whole wreck of a live stream. Sonic Mania looks AMAZING, Sonic in Lego Dimensions looks like a blast, but I'm so freaking angry that after all of this hype, THIS is all we get to see of Project 2017. I'm legitimately salty right now.

9. Turbohog

Turbohog

At least the giant egg Robos look cool.

10. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    At the start my thoughts were kind of like an Unleashed-boost sequel...............and now Gens 2.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Don't get why people are getting so worked up over this. The Generations format WORKED and people still talk about the game to date. Even if it's not supposed to be a sequel, you get my point.

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    This is has to be a sequel to generations storyline! It won't probably have the same gameplay though.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member

The game will be great. But the amount of hype they set up for how little they showed of it was a complete bait and switch.

#StuffedNachos

14. Pengi

Pengi

Hang on, is that the ruins of City Escape?

15. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Oh, and if this is another boost game? Really, fuck everything. That's the last thing I want right now.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I can totally deal with a teaser trailer and no name for now and until after Mania is out. Mania is something I expected to never happen. Like, I'd thought about it and came to the conclusion that no, it won't ever happen. But it IS happening and that's just incredible. But Project 2017 started by showing me exactly what I wanted from a new Sonic game - it looks thematically interesting, like it has a story and a real setting. Recent games have sorely lacked that. The "join the resistance" tagline is especially exciting for a Sonic game. The only issue I have, and it's a pretty big one sure, is Classic Sonic. I can't understand why he's here again. Generations was great. Yep. It was also a special celebration that should have only ever been a one off. If they want to continue using Classic Sonic, that's dandy. I love that side of the franchise. There's no need to do another Modern/Classic collab' though. I don't want to see the two Sonic's treated like separate characters. They're one and the same, and it was played on for an anniversary celebration just a few years ago.

Oh well. Gonna see how this turns out, because I've still got faith that this game is going to be good is Generations is anything to go by. I just wish it didn't bank on Classic for seemingly no good reason.

17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Knowing we were getting Mania, another Generations-style game was literally exactly what I wanted and I was super-hyped through the whole thing and I'm kind of weirded out by the cynicism in this thread.

18. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    I think one of the problems with this is, with such a drastic shift in tone yet again, Sonic is losing any identity he may have left - even in this trailer itself! It starts off edgy and he faces what's before him with a serious expression, then within 30 seconds he's doing a stupid goofy thumbs up and Classic is grinning.
    I agree that he doesn't really need to be here, it feels like they're throwing existing stuff together for no reason like they did with the wisps in Lost World, when both these things worked fine in their original respective games.

19. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Basically this. I really like Mania and look forward to it, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be the big 25th Anniversary thing. Sure, that's just my tastes, but I dunno.

Plus I don't really get the "Classic Sonic will control better in Mania so he shouldn't be in this" argument. I don't think Classic in Generations was ever supposed to be 100% Genesis-accurate (if it was they did a shitty job, I'll concede there) but... I like his physics in Generations. I don't really look at it like a failed attempt at recreating the original physics, I just consider it a different setup.

Besides, no decision made in Mania would've had an effect on the project Sonic Team were working on, so I don't think anyone deserves slamming for that.

20. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Why aren't you guys excited for this? This is basically Generations 2. When they showed the trailer, I thought it looked cool, and then Classic showed up and that got me more hyped. This will be two good Sonic games for 2017. It shows that Sonic is getting back on his feet.