don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    [​IMG]
    You're pretty spot on to how I feel overall.

But what do you think about the Storybook games?

2. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Here is what I personally have issue with;

*World is ending*
    Sonic: Wow way past cool! yahoo! go teamwork!

Sonic doesn't need to be tone deaf to be cool and his behavior should match what the situation calls. This in my opinion is Forces' biggest blunder. The plot itself is fine but they just take the piss out of everything. It should either take itself seriously or do something more light-hearted. They spend almost no time with the characters to actually make us care. They don't need to be movies but we should at least set the scene with them. If knuckles is the leader of the resistance, I want to see him leading it not just yapping on the radio. If Sonic is in prison being tortured I want to see him hooked up to a treadmill with stone shoes running endlessly past exhaustion.
    You can still be comical and goofy while being serious. As others have pointed out, galaxy is one of the better mainstream examples of this.
    Frontiers does these things good enough that I actually enjoyed it and it definitely is a step in the right direction. Here's hoping we don't end up with another Shadow or Forces' and honestly give me an intimidating villain again like Chaos or Mephiles.

To end my rambling. They really should show us more character developmental scenes (in-game or cut-scenes) to actually make us care. They should try to set the stage early on (why things are like what they are), and in-universe rules are followed, with a good villain to give Sonic new challenges to overcome.

3. I never played enough of Secret Rings upon release to remember the plot and the entire concept of Black Knight put my teenage-self off from even reading about it, let alone buying it. I still haven’t completed Secret Rings (I’m not even sure where the disk is - it is holding Colors right now since I don’t know where Colors’ case is!) but I finally bought and played Black Knight this year after enough Zoomer YouTubers broke me down.

From what I can tell from videos about Secret Rings, both it and Black Knight are pretty similar in tone. I’d say that while the themes are closer to something like 06 in terms of heaviness (especially Black Knight - while the abusive partner reading of Secret Rings is definitely there and intentional, I don’t think kids will pick up on it), the actual plots and the tone of the storytelling are pretty Adventure-ish and they have nice atmospheres. I really like the cutscene styles as well and having anime girl of the week “sidekicks.”

I just really am not familiar with the games enough but I like what I’ve seen of them. Typical Maekawa stuff but I think he benefits from the more restrictive nature of those titles. Overall, I think they’re pretty spot on for how I’d want a side story game to be executed but feel a bit too small in scope to serve as main titles.

If only they were a bit more fun to play! I wouldn’t mind a return to the series kicked off with a remastered collection of both games with a streamlined and more “typical” Sonic gameplay. I think they can definitely be made to work nicely in a boost gameplay engine.

4. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    An extremely impressive mod for Forces released today. I just finished my playthrough of it, and it rules. It's everything Forces wanted to be but failed at. If you own Forces, I highly recommend checking it out. There's no Classic Sonic either, so that's just dandy.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  5. MH MD

MH MD

"We will just make another mod for Forces, no big deal"

*make a freaking sequel*

6. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Someone on the team isn't just making a sequel he's been redoing every single level of the original Forces, making them longer and adding new stage gimmicks.

It's sort of beautiful that the Sonic Fandom loves the character so much they're willing to go out their way to fix one of the less well recieved entires honestly.

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I was watching the first couple of minutes of gameplay and got caught by surprise when I saw Starlight Zone of all zones.

8. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

Aw, they took out my favorite part.

9. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Wow, this was, and I mean this, genuinely impressive. Despite being a mod this is great what they achieved here. Don’t get me wrong, this is still clearly sonic forces, but the pure spectacle of things makes the game a lot more entertaining for me. Metal sonic really stole the show for me here. I’d like to revisit this in a year or two and see how they’ve improved.

10. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

...hot damn. I'd seen some of the Reimagined videos but not this. I'll welcome all of the "Forces but better" mods we can get.

11. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    This looks great. I never played Forces since it just looked to boring to me, but I would buy this.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Forces is less than a tenner on Steam right now - I’ve yet to play Overclocked (though I am interested), but from what everybody else is saying, it sounds worth the price of admission.

13. impressive impressive stuff, kudos to the team that worked on this! (actually i've been softer on Forces as a whole these days)

also: many thanx to the mods for accepting my validation request! :)

14. Kyro

Kyro

This was a very fun little mod! Its about an hour of just brand new content, and while some of the forces stink is still there, especially in regards to the controls, its actually a good bit of fun otherwise, and certainly has much more interesting level design that the actual base game of forces.

15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Really interested in seeing what this mod has to offer, I just wish it was Wednesday so I'd be done with work and could dedicate my full attention to it.

Also, perhaps selfishly, I'm glad it's done so brandonj's attention is no longer split with Forces reimagined :)

16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Will Reimagined be compatible with Overclocked?

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Reimagined is a rework of the regular Forces campaign, and Overclocked is a campaign of its own.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Anyone else having controller issues with the game? Trying to use my Switch Pro Controller, but the game is flat out refusing to pick up any inputs from it. I really don't want to go back to the days of playing fan games with keyboard controls...

EDIT: Turns out Sonic Forces doesn't recognise a lot of controllers unless booted from the .exe. God, I love SEGA...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  19. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I used a DualSense for Overclocked and had a similar issue that was fixed by disabling Steam Input from the overlay. (I'm guessing the .exe launch might happen to bypass that.)

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    It actually has nothing to do with the mod, it's just steaminput. no idea why that happens.