don't click here

Sonic Advance 2 proto, anyone interested?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That's too bad. Guess that song will remain a mystery for a while longer then, huh? :(

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I checked, the overdump just seems to be some kind of padding. The first 16,777,216 bytes are bytetobyte identical to the final US rom. :(

oh well

edit: seughsuioghe ninjad

3. Damn, that's disappointing.

The mysteries shall continue to elude us. Maybe someday we'll finally have the answer to the origins of that song...

4. Tanks

Tanks

Well. We knew the risks. Too bad. /me high-fives Techokami for being a bro just the same.

5. I know this'll sound stupid, but have you checked if there's more to the padding? Search after the padding or is there only padding at the end/beginning/wherever?
    It's still nice that you cared about something you weren't really interested in, though.

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Oh well. That's just the risk of buying these things. Thanks for all the effort from everyone to get this checked.

7. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Ah man that's a major bummer. :(

Was hoping for some difference but I guess these things happen.

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Disappointing! Well, we knew the risks! At least we've narrowed our search down by one :v:

9. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Damn. :/

Oh well, still sent you 10 bucks, drx.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Guess that title needs changing...

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Derp.

At least now you have a rare cartridge :v:

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I take it the cart has nothing of interest written on it - I can't really see in that blurred photo

13. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Well that's a massive disappointment.

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Not so much. The fact that drx went this far, for a game that he didn't really care about. He might be able to find another one in the future.

15. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    I imagine it'll be very similar to the one pictured below minus the whole "BC 18" label.

[​IMG]

However, I do like the idea of having a clean crisp photograph of that Sonic Advance 2 cart so that it could be put onto the wiki.

Slightly off topic. In regards to the type of cartridge that Sonic Advance 2 is using, there seems to be at least three different variations of GBA cartridges (not including the final retail variation) which were used when companies were developing games for the GBA. Variation 1, Variation 2, and Variation 3 all seem to have functioned differently.

It's a shame this cartridge contained the final version of Sonic Advance 2. The effort it took to find this, and everyone who helped to get it is still very appreciated. At the very least, it indeed narrows the search to find a prototype version of Sonic Advance 2 down by one.

16. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I hope this doesn't dissuade people from putting in effort to get these things. This kinda stuff just comes with the territory.

17. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Hmm I am disappointed, but I guess I shouldn't be complaining.

Since that's apparently a cartridge with a final ROM, aren't that one of those cartridges used to mass-produce the game in the production factories when the game is completed and ready to go?

18. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Switches, huh? How does that cartridge work then?

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Where are those switches, anyway? Under the label? Inside the plastic case?

20. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Ugh, people selling these things really just need to actually get off their ass and test the thing a bit(surely if they bothered buying it they know the game, unless they like wasting money on games they don't know or ever intend to play). I just can't stand the pretentiousness of it all. "Here's a game that may or may not be final, I won't test it just because. That'll be an insane amount of money, thank you."

This is why I'll never donate to anything without knowing full well what it is. :/