don't click here

Sonic Advance 2 proto, anyone interested?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Excellent work when it comes to finding this stuff as always ;)

How much time are we being given to snatch this before the seller decides to pull the plug on the deal?

2. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    FYI, I have hardware capable of dumping GBA games.

EDIT: I can probably chip in $100 as well

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    My guess is, until somebody else pays for it.

4. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Get The Flintstones for SEGA Channel instead.

5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I'm very interested, although unfortunately, next weekend, me and my gf are getting our own flat and have to pay goodness knows of £££'s! After 2 weeks, I'll know how much I have left and could donate a bit then, whether it will be too late by then, who knows.

I'm very interested, although unfortunately, next weekend, me and my gf are getting our own flat and have to pay goodness knows of £££'s! After 2 weeks, I'll know how much I have left and could donate a bit then, whether it will be too late by then, who knows.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Whoa $100 what the hell o_O;

Anyways, that'd make up for $115 + €10 + $100 = $228.38... Yeah almost there

7. Tanks

Tanks

Ok, increasing to $60. That gives us ~$238.38.

Someone pony up the last $12.

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I could do the last $12 I guess.

Advance 2 isn't all that interesting, but still it would be kinda neat to see a proto of it.

9. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Ah. Sonic Advance 2... The begining of the end. Nope, thanks.

10. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT

11. Shadow Wedge

Shadow Wedge

Canada
    Match-3 game
    I'll donate $30 towards this, as I'm rather interested in the GBA games.

12. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I take that, this is the most successful fundraiser so far, we went past the target in one day :v:

Let's hope this ROM contains something interesting.

13. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Well in that case... drx, I'll be PayPaling the money to you hopefully on Thursday.

14. Is there anything really of value within the advance games? I mean, they weren't a HUGE part of the Sonic series, not to the extent that any secrets within the SA2 cart would have a huge impact on the fandom the way the discovery of Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta cart had. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer about everybody chipping in to get this dumped, who knows there could be something interesting, but what exactly could we fathom there to be in there?

15. Tanks

Tanks

It's a prototype. Whether it has anything of value on it is inconsequential. We're the Brotherhood of Bytes: We back up and store anything on a disk or cart for research and archival purposes.

16. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    This ought to be interesting, as this is the last Sonic game to include any of Yuji Naka's code.

17. Turbohog

Turbohog

Most prototypes aren't as valuable as the Sonic 2 Beta anyway. Personally, I'm mostly interested since Sonic Advance 2 was perhaps my favorite 2D Sonic game after the genesis games.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Can you clairify on that? first I've heard of it.

19. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    So what's the paypal address to send money to again?

20. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    It is one of the best games in its own universe. If Sonic was to strip all platforming action, and just go for racing and speed, it is a pure success. Some very interesting techniques are used in it. The players are Sonic Advance 1 with better acceleration, so that they never need to use spindash, they just run through loops if you hold the direction button. A new camera that removes the running/spinning away from camera by your own accord, and does it with the help of speed boosters (also hidden sound barrier effects) instead. The game's quality is pretty much on the thin thread, where they have abused the power of the GBA to the very limit, and one of the bosses has a nasty bug that kills you even if you had rings at that time (you will drop rings and die at the same time).

A prototype of the game would probably show how fast the development of the game was, as well as have more Sonic Advance 1 styled music instead of the techno (which felt like a last moment replacement). In the final, bosses's backgrounds are not programmed, and some backgrounds are completely shut off on multiplayer mode because they take too much CPU.

This is Dimps wasting CPU and GPU power. Just like they did with Sonic 4. But Sonic 4 is such a failure. Sonic Advance 2 is a success (in its own world). It was the beginning of the end as some people say. I play it from times to times (and hack it of course), as I like the level design (not layout, especially objects!).