don't click here

Sonic Advance 2 proto, anyone interested?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    No GPU power since the video hardware is similar to that of 16-bit consoles =P

That said, didn't the Advance games use 96×96 chunks? Which means that to retrieve which chunk is at a given coordinates you have to use division, you can't use bit shifting, and the processor in the GBA can't do division in hardware (it needs to be done in software, which is really slow in comparison).

2. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    If it's come from a magazine it's quite likely to be final review code, I wouldn't get too excited.

3. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I've gotten alphas and even earlier versions from magazines before. Not saying this is gonna happen with this one but yeah.

Ok, the target sum has been met. Please paypal the money to [email protected]. As soon as $250 is collected I will paypal the money to the seller and he will send the cart to Techokami for dumping.

Thanks to everyone for contributing. Also thanks to Techokami for offering to dump the cart (not the first time IIRC).

If anyone who pledged can't send me the money this week, please tell me instead of disappearing on me.

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I sent a extra 5 that I hadn't used in case not everyone pulls through.

5. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    It may take a few days, but I'll send you my chunk.

6. Dr. Ed

Dr. Ed

money sent

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Sonic Advance 2 got me trundling back in to Sonic after all those years. As much as people like to whine about it, it's an amazing game, and you don't need to turn around to have fun, or to justify playing a Sonic game. It had enough moments where it sent you backwards and up and down, and this game's design had no effect whatsoever on the franchise as Sonic Advance 3 went straight back tio being more 'in-depth'. Besides, to beat this game, you need to collect the emblems in the levels, to aquire the Chaos Emeralds and beat Super Sonic, so you have to go off track searching anyway. If I want to beat Sonic 2 at any point, I basically have to go and do the same thing finding bloody starposts with enough rings.

I can't wait for this prototype. I really do love this game. For me it was the next great pinnacle of the series after Sonic 3 & Knuckles (I never played the Dreamcast games before this, and I ended up getting the 3D games later), and before Sonic Colours.

Edit; I believe the money has been gathered already, so contributing seems to be out of the equation.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You guys might be lucky and end up getting a Sonic Advance 2 with SA1 gameplay.

I don't get it, either.

EDIT:
    ...It's a fucking frustrating game.

9. Turbohog

Turbohog

It looks like it'll take me a couple days to get my $10 on paypal(sad I know), but then I'll send it!

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

In what sort of sense? I got the game when I was 13/14, and I never had a problem with it. It has completely legitimate obstacles and totally fair objectives. The physics and gameplay are the-same-but-often-faster styles of the Mega Drive games with hurdles set out in such a way to compensate, and it was refreshing to have a game not created to be an exact copy of the prequels.

Now Sonic Rush, that's a frustrating game. The whole game is built around the concept of constant speed- the physics, the style, the courses, the baddies, everything. Of course, frustrating doesn't mean bad, but it has it's moments.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I only have problems in Advance 2 with Sky Canyon and Techno Base.

I do love playing as Amy though.

12. Tanks

Tanks

Sent my $60.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I dunno. I have issues of varying sorts with just about all the handheld games that aren't Sonic Colors, but the Sky Canyon boss was pretty awful, and its glitchy hand was much more of a killer than just about anything in Rush, espcially since I have to replay both acts before fight him again after a game over! Thank heavens for the difficulty select for that one.

I do like the game's sense of speed, but I don't like the way the special stage entrance works in this one. I think that's one thing Advance 3 did far better than it (along with making the other characters all pretty useful, for that matter)

14. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    If you mean Egg Saucer in Sky Canyon Zone, I thought that was meant to happen and wasn't a bug. You had to be careful that he didn't slap you dead-on otherwise it was an instant death. If it just slightly hits you, you lose rings. I remember that boss, one of the hardest 2D bosses I've done I believe.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The rest of the non-final bosses in the Sonic series disagree with insta-kills being supposed to happen.

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I thought it was intentional too. The Sky Canyon boss will go down in Sonic history along with Sonic 2 GG's Underground Zone boss as the ones people had the most trouble on, the most cheap/frustrating, and the most well known (out of the handheld bosses at least).

17. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    I'm glad there's a SA2 Prototype out there, I wonder what was left out in the final version, other then that incredible song from the Mega Collection Trailer.

I never had a problem with the Advance Series overall, UNLESS were talking about the Special Stages.....

Getting to them in SA1 is annoying, beating them is another story, you have to be VERY accurate.
    Getting to them in SA2 (for me) was f*ucking impossible, the only reason why I got to the extra stage was through Game Shark, I'm not ashamed to admit it.
    As for SA3, I lost my Game Shark and have yet to play them, don't get me wrong though getting to the stages isn't as hard but because there are SO many chao you have to collect makes it more tedious then getting to SA1's Stages.

The Advance Series was Great but the Special Stages did drag it down for me.

18. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Wacky Workbench, Stardust Speedway, Carnival Night 1, Sandopolis 2 and the entirety of Sonic 2 8-bit would disagree.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I have never had an issue with Sonic Advance 2. Except Sky Canyon - there's a bit that requires you to do one of those mid-air moves, else take the high road. I didn't realise this feature existed until that stage.

And I wouldn't class the boss as "bad" but rather, "long and tedious". It's generally not an enjoyable addition. There's a few things like that, but I generally prefer it to Advance 3 which just seems like Sonic X: The video game.

The other issue with Advance 2 is that it doesn't strike me as having a huge amount to tell in terms of development stories. There's some mockups with Cream using Amy's life icon but other than that the prototype screenshots we have don't seem to show a wildly different game (unlike Sonic 1 and 2).

20. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Let the confusion begin.

On a more serious note; any more updates on the status of this thing? I'd love to see what turns up from this proto.