don't click here

Sonic 1 Brother Trouble

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MarkeyJester, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    no, I've aways wanted at least one level that was made completely without the use of art from other levels, or music from other places, this is that level

2. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    That's weird, I'm feeling the same as Tweaker.

Anyway that looks good, now I'm eager to see what kind of city or underwater level you will make

3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    That looks really great. Very much looking forward to see where this goes, and actually playing it. :P

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Even I thought the same about the Ristar sound test background.
    Anyway, it's good to know that you're still working on this, keep it up Markey, you've seriously improved. :)

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    [​IMG][​IMG]

ok looking at it now, yes it does seem to look like ristar's Soundtest in ways (strangely enough I hadn't noticed at the time), but it's actually meant to be sort of a "recreation" of Hydrocity Zone as it were, the Organ in the BG was added because I somehow think that a Catherdral just doesn't look like a Cathedral without one.

thanks SOTI, that means alot to me =)

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, I should note that I wasn't trying to accuse you of nicking anything; I just noticed the similarities and it brought a smile to my face. I always did love that background.

In any case, it looks fantastic—great work drawing it up! :)

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    Ok, so I was debating on whether I should let you all on an update or not, and decided to just go for it, YouTube clip time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJhGr5KZx50&fmt=18

As you all might have guessed by the clip, there have been a lot of improvements, fix ups and new stuff added to the recent Bro-Tro so far, so allow me to go through what's updated and what's new.

First thing you'll see is an improved map, with a Status Bar in the top showing you your score and lives, plus additional stuff telling you how good or shit you are at playing the hack =P, you may also be happy to know that there are now three acts and 1 boss act to every zone plus an extra area that says “Save/Load”, this will essentially take you to a save screen where there are 3 save slots including a No Save slot, now the way of how you access the save menu is actually quite handy as you are able to start a no save game, but later save your progress on a save slot if you for some reason change your mind and want to save after all, you are also able to change what slot you are playing without having to reset the entire game, special thanks go to Malevolence and TmEE for the explanations of SRam and how to use it.

Next thing that may come to mind is a new zone I previously posted pictures up before, but this time showing it in action, this zone is almost 100% original if it weren't for certain objects, this time I'm currently playing as manic for once, and you may notice something different about him, not only has there been a complete sprite change, but there's also an extra move enabling you to climb on walls (Similar to Knuckles in S3&K), with thanks to MKAmeX for making the 4 wall climbing sprites that look absolutely awesome.

Now, as far as bosses go, the first zone boss (although you can't see it currently now)
    has in fact been changed to make things a little more difficult for you, however moving onto the next zone boss, you are able to see this one practically in full, and as I've been told by the beta testers it appears to be too fucking hard (This clip is proof that the boss is complete-able, so take that! =P), before anyone asks, the music in the background of the boss is a remix of BGM 09 in Rocket Knight Adventures.

There's a few other things that have been done, but I'd rather not discuss right now, that shall wait for another time, for the mean time, any suggestions on improvements are very well welcomed, please by all means don't hesitate to suggest anything or criticise in anyway, the more I know, the better.

Now most of the stuff present is all working reasonably fine thanks to the beta testers, mainly D.A.Garden and SonicVaan for finding a huge amount of bugs that I could fix, thank you guys, you've done a fantastic job so far, and a thanks to Malevolence, although you never got to program anything on the new boss, your ideas put into the new boss are great, so thanks for that =)

Onto the full credits so far:

General Beta Testers
    -Pegasus
    -UtopiaUK
    -Lips
    -CarrascoZX0

Debug Beta Testers
    -D.A.Garden
    -SonicVaan

Additional Manic wall climbing sprites
    -MKAmeX

SRam Info Help
    -Malevolence
    -TmEE

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Nice to listen to new music that doesn't use the same fucking voices like everyone else on this damn forum.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Awesome stuff! The new levels are absolutely top notch, and the maps are a fun and well-presented way of navigating throughout the various zones. The new music is extremely well done as well—the arrangements, voice selection, and use of modulation and other effects make them feel very full and lively. The new boss is great as well, especially ever since you fixed up the tedious feeling that it presented before.

There's not much I can say! Everything I'm seeing is as high quality as you could possibly achieve in a ROM hack. Fantastic work—I'm looking forward to the next release! :)

10. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    That boss is really creative, well done.

11. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

Hell, you made fantastic progress on this hack. Manic looks soooooooooooooo much better, everything in that vid was awesome, your hack has reached an incredible level of creativity. I'm looking forward to the next progress you're gonna make :)

(I don't remember but just curious, was Manic able to climb with his drumsticks in Sonic Underground?)

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    I never really watched Sonic Underground very often, but when ever I did, I don't recall seeing him climb on any walls as such, I just decided to add it because I felt that Manic needed another unique move that could help him reach places of which sonic couldn't (Helps make seperate paths in levels)

13. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    It's a great idea. I'm actually now very tempted to play as Manic once this version has been released. It's amazing.

Can't wait to see more! :thumbsup:

14. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Holy shit, this is awesome. :) Every single part of it.
    Also, did you take the climbing from Knuckles' code or did you recode it yourself. I'm guessing the latter since you literally can code anything.

15. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Wow, the music for Cathedral Palace is sexy!

Is it just my impression, or does Manic and Sonic have different possible set of paths, just like Sonic and Knuckles?

16. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

Yeah and that's what he aimed anyway

17. Master3k

Master3k

private beta plox *shot* (joking)

Jokes apart, wow... this is fucking amazing.

I know you are still working at bosses, but can I suggest you to:

-Make that boss bombs go down faster
    -Eggman ship-fire-thing-that-boosts-his-ship is out of the shield. It's a bit...weird.

Other than that, perfect.

18. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Very impressive. This is turning out to be a seriously amazing hack. I love what you've done with the map screens, and the save/load screen. That level and boss are amazing too.

The only hing I can see that's a little bit off is the signpost at the end of the level.. the art just doesn't quite match. The level clear music, while great, also doesn't quite fit. Just my two pence. :P

Very much looking forward to being able to play this.

19. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    yeah pretty much that second part, I wouldn't know where to go about finding code in S3&K let along port it =$

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Loving this. The overworld maps are great (and did I see a hint of a Sonic Retro thread URL there? =P), the way the HUD slides in and out is a neat touch, the character moves are original and nicely done, the music is fantastic and this whole thing is shaping up fantastically!

If you don't have a beta tester who can do hardware testing, feel free to drop me a message - though note I cannot do SRAM testing =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.