don't click here

Sonic 1 Brother Trouble

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MarkeyJester, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Ouch, a bit sad your contribution to this great hack ends here but really, thank you for so much awesomeness :)
    Wish you good luck for all your future projects ^^

EDIT: Question: Any cheat code to have access to all zones?

EDIT2: Oops, usual S1 cheat code works ^^'

2. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Manic drumming to Absolute Chill made my fucking day.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed what was complete and had fun with it. I'd like to see it continued, as hacks like these aren't exactly common now, are they?

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    This hack better be submitted to the Hacking Contest, it deserves a few trophies. :)

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Biggest shame of the century, really. I was looking forward to this hack's completion more than anything else in the hacking scene to date. Cheers on you for releasing what you had, though—it's really good fun and bloody well impressive. Good on you. :)

5. This is awesome, and it's a shame it had to be discontinued. Although first bosses are supposed to be easy you guys :/ Also this is the only Sonic 1 hack I've played which has two player co-op mode, so that's pretty cool as well.

6. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    You've created some fantastic work, you should be proud :) .

7. Currently playing this, the bosses are great. Infact, the whole thing is awesome. Good work!

8. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I knew about that issue for a while now, but to be honest I'm still surprised you actually did that. I mean, you told me a couple of times the hack is canceled and you always came back. Now you really gave up.
    I don't feel sad about it. Infact, I think it was a good idea, because working on something when you rarly have any time isn't fun at all, and that's what hacking is supposed to be, eh?

So yeah, I hope Malevolence will continue this hack in a good way and who knows, maybe you'll come one day back to support him on his hack. =P

Maybe I should post my answer:
    I would've been an interesting idea, it's a shame it never really got implented though.

9. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Ah thanks, for some reason I knew it but I wasn't sure.
    But for some cheering I'm sure Malevolence will finish that. Hehe, and maybe more satisfying unlockables... :specialed:

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Played it. Wow...just wow.

The co-op is handled well, the map and save menus are pretty solid and lets not go through the extras. The bosses are neat innoventions (I can't help but feel the difficulty is overkill for the first couple of levels however). Aside from the obvious incompletion it looks very polished and professional. A shame you're not continuing it though hopefully it will be put in equally good hands.

I noticed the Cathedral zones are empty however. I thought your vids shown them completed.

11. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    The layouts were rushed to preview CPZ. So it got started over. (Actually it uses the layout of the old beta, but due (I think) to new objects—the door—it uses only a part of it.)

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah got it. Still the vid layout didn't look bad to me (better than run forward for thirty seconds anyway). :v:

13. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Oh nono, I meant any new work that should happen to go into it would not be mine, what's currently there can stay.

I do apologise, I never was happy sticking with a layout, I often felt that it didn't play like a Sonic game hance why it's changed.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Heh, don't listen to me Markey, I understand you wanted things perfect with your work and my opinion of a 'good' level differs for many (I admit it was more Sonic 1 maze-like than the first stage which aren't always favored, eg. Marble Zone). Still, a shame you didn't get to remake the layout.

15. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    After anticipating this hack for a long time, it truly is a shame to see it cancelled.

I quite enjoyed what was there gameplay-wise, but I must say the first boss was far too difficult in my opinion. Liked the layouts that were there, they were very good, no complaints at all. The art was consistantly amazing - Cathedral Palace "wow'd" me the moment I saw the video, and the implemented art for the other zones (The Neon level in particular :thumbsup: ) was also as good. I adore the music, every single piece was brilliant. Oh and co-op? Fantastic.

Amazing work. A real shame to see this go. I hope work gets continued by Malevolence.

16. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Sorry to hear about this MJ I really liked it :) and it looks like you made leaps and bounds from when I last saw it.

I'm ever so sorry for not sticking with it, but my A-levels really took over and unfortunatly now im available and you cancelled the project :( although im was much help anyhow. Thanks for taking me onboard :)

17. Dandaman

Dandaman

Also known as Dandaman955 Tech Member
    UK
    A real shame there Markey. I downloaded the first release and enjoyed it, and I just got home from a holiday to find out it's at it's final release. :(

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'm really surprised at the sudden closure of the project too.

I played the final release, and I can easily say I had a LOT of fun playing the stages you had actual level of (Shame on you for destroying part of Cathedral Palace; I loved that level so much :U). The boss of the first zone was.. Nightmare hard though. Yikes.

Have any plans for the future?

19. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Why are so many of you disapointed about the CPZ layout? Here's a MUCH older build (C at title screen), I didn't want to release an older one as this, but it's the last one with the layout as seen on YouTube unfortunately =( (I'd rather this one not be wiki'd or anything please)

EDIT: and hey, the boss attack actually works on that one, I really should've finished that =$

20. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    MarkeyJester this is really good stuff I played it on hacktube a while back, I just didn't realize this was yours. You've successfully created a hack that while still feels like a Sonic game also feels very original and refreshing. The graphics are nice and the sound is well chosen, the whole presentation is nice actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.