don't click here

It's time to drop a little bomb

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Actually, I wonder if they've heard of S2HD yet......
    Who knows what could happen........

2. I'm going to go with the consensus that says, "Game's amazing, but making it for the iPhone is a bad idea."

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think it's more interesting that SEGA is actually considering fan-created games as plausible additions to their games library. Granted, the port itself is also impressive—recreating all of the game's original objects through your scripting system is definitely impressive to the degree you've managed it, and to the untrained eye many of the subtle differences won't be noticeable by the general public, which is definitely a factor in your favor. By all means, this recreation could be something revolutionary for both the impact of this community and for your own professional career.

Here's my question, though—why now? Why not before? Stealth has created a 2D Sonic engine which has been available on a multitude of gaming platforms, and he even successfully ported Sonic 1 to the GBA—a feat that not even SEGA's hired cronies could properly manage with the sheer degree of accuracy that he was able to achieve. By all means, we've proven ourselves far more competent than SEGA's in-house designers in terms of staying true to the classic games and knowing what made them tick... so why did it take this long for them to take advantage of that? They should know that fans would practically jump at the opportunity to be part of a professional SEGA release. It would have only made sense! Sometimes I wonder...

In any case, congratulations! This is a great piece of work and I'm extremely happy for your success in getting SEGA's attention. Great stuff. :)

Out of curiosity, do you plan on releasing a non-iPhone version of Retro-Sonic CD? That'd be pretty rad. :D

4. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Oooh, I hope this project comes through. I could use something fun to play on the go these days, since I'm bored shitless with the PSP and the DS is broken...

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow. That's truly amazing.
    Agreed. I just wouldn't buy it again if it didn't feature the music I grew up with.
    Also agreed. A Wiiware version would be awesome, since they don't seem to be planning on releasing Mega CD games on the Virtual Console (plus, this would run at 60Hz).

The only thing that buggers me is, why the ugly PC title screen? =(

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Holy Christ on a bike. That is amazing! I linked the video to SEGA's blog page to show them that this would be amazing for the iPhone/iTouch. I like the idea of re-writing the code instead of emulating the original BIN. I hope this goes further.

7. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Wow, this is amazing. It really looks like the original Sonic CD running on the iPhone/Touch; you wrote this engine yourself?

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I'm guessing that the distinction is that The Taxman actually contacted Sega with an essentially finished product (Retro Engine) running a proof of concept of something they could sell (Sonic CD on the iPhone).
    But this still stuck out from the rest:
    The Taxman, Stealth, LOst, and Saxman have done that. Everything else that I know of is either a modification of an existing game or something made in Game Maker/Multimedia Fusion. Sega has little use for a new game that they would still have to stick in an emulator anyway. I've also seen precious little in terms of level design that I would actually compare to the classic games in terms of quality... and I usually find out about it a few minutes after learning that the hack is canceled.

9. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Sonic CD on a platform people might appreciate it on? Unbelievable!

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
  11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's some awkward button layout in there...

I know, better than no buttons, but still.

12. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Taxman I want your babies (I am male :psyduck: )

Hope it all goes well for you and I will be the first at the door to buy such love.

13. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    I'm going to shit myself. I haven't got an iPhone though. :psyduck:

Congratulations and stuff! Your Retro Engine is heaps awesome.

14. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Awesome work. I don't have an Iphone but am 100% supporting this!!!

15. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    I'd buy that in a heartbeat....But I have a big old crack on the Iphone screen...
    [​IMG]

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    This has been said before I think (somewhat), but basically, Taxman did business with Sega, instead of contacting them as a fan. Basically, he made a working engine, then contacted Sega to see if they're interested in publishing it. Publishers like when the job is already done by the way, as the costs they have to face are trivial for them. So basically, Sega gets to publish a new game, earn money from it but without need of spending big bucks on its development, meaning little risk and extremely high chance of profitability. It'd be stupid to skip this chance.

17. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Ok. I'm not at home (summer holydays), and to be honnest, I'm writing this post from my iPhone cause I don't have a pc where I am. But I HAD to answer to this thread.

The Taxman, what you did there owns everything. It's totally awesome. Would I consider buying it? You ported my favorite sonic game on the best mobile ever created. I could buy an hundred copies of it.

Like Tweaker said, it's a great step for the fan game community, to show Sega that some talented persons can make good engine ports.

And for the port itself, glad to see you managed to make a 60fps totally functionnal game.
    For the additions, well... I can dream, but the best thing would be to manage additionnal fan levels (like... A pc level editor, etc...) Imagine if we could share through the iphone our own levels?

Anyway, I really hope this port will work well for you.

18. NHY

NHY

Wow, just wow. I don't even own an ipod touch or iphone ( I'll probably eventually get one, when my current 5th Gen ipod kicks the bucket )

That was amazing and a lot better than SEGA can do, it seems. Good luck with getting this published.

19. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Custom user made levels from a pc would be a nono, especially from apple who disallow you to access most if not all external files. Of course they let emulators from big names through sometimes but anyone else? denied!

Custom soundtracks from OS3.0 would be sweet, if it can be set up to each act has it's own playlist or song too. Online time attack scoreboard instead of just local times would also be rather interesting if included.

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Even if Apple allowed the game to access user-made files (maybe they decide to jump on the modding trend?), PC would be a no-no because it isn't a Mac :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.