don't click here

It's time to drop a little bomb

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    iPhone? I dunno man... tiny controller, tiny screen, you saw how Sonic Genesis turned out

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I WOULD BUY THIS FIFTY TIMES.

But if Sega says no, pretty please release it on Cydia?

3. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Please do!

4. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    Wow, the port is just awesome. The transitions to the past/present/future are spot on and flow perfectly. I wonder how much it's gonna be when it does come through

Just make sure Sega does not try to claim rights on the Retro Sonic engine :psyduck:

5. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Newfound Potential Member
    I'd totally consider buying an iPhone if this idea actually flew, with the enhancements and everything. Knuckles and Tails added in, coming to mind, online competition mode maybe...

I'm getting giddy just thinking about it.

6. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I would love a Sonic CD port (though I'd probably have to buy a controller glove for my iPod touch to really enjoy it), but selling the entire engine to Sega would be a great thing as well. A Mega Man 9 style revival could become a reality.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Er, I doubt so. Remember that Sega didn't really fuck up so badly with the engine in the new 2D games, the issue in those is more from the gameplay side (hold right and mash the boost button, anyone?). There isn't any way an engine can fix that as it's a design issue.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I actually said in the tip that it wasn't emulation. It's just the commenters that aren't watching the video.

9. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I know, but I figure that if an article itself came out explaining the Retro Engine, the commentators would understand it better.

EDIT:Vendettagainst already explained it. I already posted this on the Middle Ground forums I normally attend to, with added care to explain it isn't emulation.

10. Demoniaque

Demoniaque

Canada
    That seems pretty damn epic, although I'm getting a weird vibe from the controls on the touch screen. Ah well, I need to get myself an Iphone D:!

11. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    You know, this does seem to rule out a freely-released Sonic CD remake for use with the Retro Engine.

Personally, I'd love to see a version running on the Wii (or even the original XBox), with unlockable bonus characters, looping and customizable music and other nice enhancements.

12. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    True but a port like that would technically be illegal. Plus taxman has done enough for the community its time he got paid.

13. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen come out of this community. Fan-fucking-tastic job on this. The Retro engine is truly a thing of beauty.

14. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I don't really need to say this since everyone else already has but this looks REALLY nice and I'd definitely buy another copy of Sonic CD especially if you're considering adding some things that weren't present in the original.
    Best of luck to you, I hope they're willing to discuss it further. I'll be adding my vote to their Twitter spam.

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Jesus, this is like the only time I have wished that I own an Iphone. Looks amazing. Good luck getting Sega to pick this up!

It's funny, Sega couldn't even do right with the SCD port in Gems collection.

16. If this makes it through I will do anything for an iTouch.

On another note, wasn't Taxman working on a 3D Sonic engine at one point?

17. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I love you. The only inconsistency I noticed was that the ring loss effect looks different from the original game.

18. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The only difference I can see is the fact the game uses the smoother 8 frame ring animations instead the 4 frame ones :P

19. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    This looks really good. If I had an iPhone, I'd be getting this, but I can't afford one right now. :x

Speaking of 8-frame rings, if you need an 8-frame giant ring.. *points to his avatar*

20. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I hope you'll still retain rights to the Retro engine. I mean, I seriously doubt Sega would cripple your ability to release new versions to the public and have creative freedom with it, but it's always a possibility that maybe they would want to have a big say in what it can be used for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.