don't click here

It's time to drop a little bomb

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Hey gang, I wasn't going to make this public for a little while, but given SEGA's latest blog post, and their upcoming discussions on wednesday it's time for some guerilla marketing!

The question is, do YOU want it? This is more than just one of their emulator ports, we're talking iPhone exclusive enhancements and features (I've got some cool plans)

Discuss

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    This is amazing. That is all.

3. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    That is one VERY impressive piece of work there Taxman. That is hands down one of the coolest things I've seen to date in this community!

As for me wanting it... I'm not much of a gamer these days, and I don't even have any portable devices, so I don't know that I would help Sega's cause in answering yes or no either way. But I bet a lot of other people would want it.

4. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Holy Shit...

Sonic 2 Spindash comes to mind and maybe more fluid movement... I'll think about it tomorrow. I PC port would be nice too.

Oh both sound tracks both sound tracks! This is probably the most exciting piece of Sonic related news I've heard since the announcement of Sonic Adventure.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    (nods at the SCD looping project)

...what? Having these tracks loop on this version would be pretty cool. I don't own an iPhone or iPod Touch and probably never will, but this is still a novel idea. Fantastic work, Taxman!

6. Pelord

Pelord

Warning signs for hire Oldbie
    I don't have an iPhone, either... but it would be great for this to happen.

If only for the facts that
    1) Sonic CD doesn't get ported much, and
    2) Considering how poorly made certain Sonic ports to portable systems have been.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    There is a huge amount of comments in that blog post asking for Shining Force...

That said, I think it'd be a good idea to provide a setting to make the controls not interfere with the screen. I wouldn't like my fingers covering the bottom of the game screen, although this most likely will involve having a smaller game display area :/

8. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    There is the ability to use the accelerometer to control left/right, or adjust the translucency of the buttons, but yeah otherwise visible buttons are necessary evil on the iPhone. At least I moved the lives display so your thumbs don't cover it! (unlike Sonic 1 for iPhone)

9. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    With Wiiiiiiiiiiide screen? Do want!

10. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Three things:

1: Yes. a Sonic CD port would be fucking badass.
    2: Both soundtracks please.
    3: Or fuck, why not an option for custom soundtracks too?
    3.5: JP soundtrack with SNCBNK music files attached?

11. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Oh my god, I think I just pissed my pants.

EDIT: Also, remember when Stealth released a copy of SCD where you could play as Knuckles or Tails as well?

Yeah, that.

12. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    There'll only be one soundtrack, but the iPhone SDK allows users to select their own music, effectively solving the soundtrack issue.

13. Wait, this is remade with a different engine instead of being ported? It looks exactly the same - good job! Though I don't have an iPhone, I'm all for this.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I'm more interested in the source of the song.

15. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Wierd Science by Does it Offend You Yeah?

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Thank you kind sir.

17. Graxer

Graxer

:thumbsup: Wow! The Retro engine is amazingly accurate these days! I don't actually have an iPhone, but if I did this would be an instant buy!

If Sega allowed you would you consider porting it to other platforms? e.g. Wiiware, XBLA, PC, DS (if technically possible, im not sure the music would fit on a DS cartridge)

18. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    As long as the original Japanese soundtrack is used, I'm happy.

I might not have an iPhone, but this is pure awesomeness! Get Sega to make this for PSN/XBLA/WiiWare with both soundtracks!

19. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    I don't own an iPhone, don't consider getting one sometime, and simply don't want one. I'm also not a fan of classic or standard games being made for it as it seems too awkward; I've been gaming for 20 years and actually feeling a d-pad or analogue stick and buttons makes a huge difference, something that a touch screen simply cannot recreate.

That said, your concept wowed me. Even with the lack of physical inputs, it still seems responsive, which is of course very important. Possibly even more important though, is the fact that I can tell you actually put some effort into this, something that SEGA themselves aren't doing (EMU+ROM=BANGDONE); the adjusted resolution, the life icon being moved, the different music tracks loading instantly, the full 60FPS framerate. Also, the title screen remix? Do want! Your project has actually changed my vision of classic games on iPod/iPhone: Clearly, if some real effort is put into your work then it'll be good, it's just not common enough of a practice. If your project makes it through, I think I'll buy the game so I can play it on my girlfriend's iPod, even if I don't own one of my own.

That said, I really liked the fact that the Act completion music was from the Japanese soundtrack. I'm also going to echo other people in saying that having both soundtracks would quite possibly be the best part of that port and would instantly net you a ton of points.

EDIT: Also, this:

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I hope you like playing with a good chunk of the screen missing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.