don't click here

It's time to drop a little bomb

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Well, I repeat, there could be a setting which would make the game display to take up less space on screen and put the controls in the now unused space. I prefer a smaller screen over my fingers blocking it :P

Relying on the app store for advertising is a bad idea, it isn't meant to be used as an advertisement site but as a store :P That's what so many developers don't get :/

2. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

I'd buy this in a heartbeat. Breathtaking, it's amazing that you can port something better than Sega can to a portable platform [ie Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA]. This would definitely help make the iPod touch more of a gaming platform.

3. aliialii

aliialii

La la laaaaa~ Member
    Man, this is the best iPhone/iPod Touch Sonic game I have ever seen! Sega should hire you and premote your Retro Sonic Engine! I love the look of the controls! Also it looks like you've made this Sonic CD have smoother gameplay than the original game! Well done!
    When's that SDK coming out? :P

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    From Sega's twitter:
    http://twitter.com/sega

5. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    This is amazing. This truly is goddamn amazing. I'd buy it the second it's released. Especially after the huge disappointment the Sonic the Hedgehog game was. Terrible emulation. >:(

But ehhh... is it too late to share my idea of having different optional control schemes? Although I honestly believe you when saying the controls are more responsible than that other Sonic game. I'm still convinced my idea could work pretty well for 2D iPhone games.

Regardless. I'm amazingly impressed and wish you the best of luck with this!

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Though I love this, it would be interesting to see what Sega makes of it. Clearly they had some funds and dev teams set aside ready to make a brand new game, otherwise they wouldn't have asked the original question. The Retro Sonic engine is already largely done (by that I mean you wouldn't need a team to program stuff from scratch), so we might see two iphone games to make use of that development team that were set aside

I mean as long as you can prove that the engine works (which you can fairly easily when there's Retro Sonic XG and Sonic Nexus to back it up) I can't see why Sega would push it aside (unless they really are desperate to program everything from scratch).

7. endy

endy

I really hope this happens and I don't even have an iPhone! This is great work Taxman, really great work. When I first saw the video for it I was kind of in disbelief for a moment or two, but then again you did make the engine that Nexus runs off so I shouldn't have been too surprised!

8. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    Tax: good work, but, after seeing all the brown-nosing assclowns in this thread spewing their load over Sega considering publishing more or less a fan app, just make sure you are extremely extremely careful not to set a bad precedent with this from here on out.

9. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I am well aware of the anal retentiveness of this community and as such have taken lots of things into consideration hah

10. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    thnx you much.

Here's one thought: Heroes displayed the life counter only when the game was paused or when necessary (1ups, dying). Maybe such an option would work here?

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  12. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
  13. Graxer

Graxer

Wow, judging by the comments on there it seems a lot needs explained to them about what this project is!

Even though I don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch I desperately want this to work out! If it does, maybe ports to other platforms should be considered.

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    This makes me want an iPhone :v:

15. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Beautiful.

Man, this is one of those concepts so awesome I don't feel my comments could do it justice.

Quite the piece of work there Taxman. Looks near-indistinguishable from the PC version.

16. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I am not an iPhone owner, rather a HTC 8525 with windows mobile 6. Port this game to that, and you'd be god.

17. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    If Sega actually does this, an IPod touch is going to the top of my wish list.

Seriously. Awesome job so far, Taxman. It's virtually indistinguishable from real Sonic CD.

18. CyberKitsune

CyberKitsune

Never enough time. Member
    aaaaaaaaa
    Taxman, You just won the game.
    That has been the most FPS I've seen in an iPhone Game so far, not to mention you don't have any touch-lag as far as I can see.
    I really hope SEGA uses your program, it looks coded VERY well =)

btw, I have a Mac and a iPod Touch 2nd Gen, so if you need any testers, let me know. =)

19. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Someone really needs to tip Destructoid to explain this isn't an emulation, since they all seem to think that Retro Engine is a new emulator.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nice, but would be better on a phone that doesn't involve giving Apple money. =P Considered Symbian or Android?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.