don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    While I don't really like the level design (Except the totem poles =P) I do like the look of Sonic's sprites, the new shoe design that's nice and smooth, and the eyes having a nice shine of light too, nice work.

2. dsrb

dsrb

It might just be me, but I think I'll have a seizure if I look at those patterns for much longer. :psyduck:

3. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Sonic's new sprites originated from me trying to make a choice between modern and classic designs... I gave up because I couldn't figure out how to get his eyes green without messing something up :v:

I'll see if I can figure out something else to do with the separate art file later.

Okay then... How about this:

[​IMG]
    (Still WIP of course)

Is this a bit better?

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That pattern is slick. Stick with it. Also, I like the modifications to the S1 sprites. :)

However the palette of your GHZ and the previous pattern reminded me of Yuski's old hack Sonic Gaiden.

5. dsrb

dsrb

Infinitely better, in my opinion! :)

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The pattern looks decent for the most part but part of it doesn't match near the grass area and the background of the cave looks weird. Also, I'm not much of a fan of blue grass or Sonic's color pallet in that screenshot but it doesn't look bad.

7. dsrb

dsrb

I noticed that, but I assume the non-matching areas are just ones that haven't been altered yet. He did say it was still a WIP, after all.

8. Kyuu

Kyuu

Yeah, the parts that still have GHZ's checkerboard design haven't been touched yet.

As for the cave background, I'm working on that as well. ;)

Sonic's pallet was just a test I forgot to change back, so I'll likely change it back to Sonic's S1 pallet soon. As for the blue grass... I changed it to see how it would work out with the level art. Probably going to change it to be green again.

9. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    One thing I often see with GHZ edits is that people don't take depth into consideration. The walls always look flat at the edges. I've made a quick edit:

[​IMG]

The things highlighted in red are what I changed. Basically, I just take the pattern and shrink it by half in MSPaint then adjust accordingly if it looks a bit messed up. It makes the zone look less flat and overall a bit more pleasing to look at based on the patterns used. Personally for me, it's a tossup between the flat pattern and the depth pattern with this specific shape.

10. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I actually like Sonic's palette there, but whatever floats your boat.

11. dsrb

dsrb

I was referring to these:
    [​IMG]

12. Kyuu

Kyuu

I've never really been good at figuring out the proper depth for stuff like this, so I just left it as-is. Thanks for your advice! :)

13. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    This looks awful. It's much more simplistic and pleasing to the eye without.

Plus, Palmtree Panic did it and nobody whined.

14. dsrb

dsrb

"Awful" is a bit excessive. I think it works quite well, though I don't mind the original either.

15. Kyuu

Kyuu

At the very least, I need to change one of his shades of blue so it's not as noticeable.

Oh, the parts that still have those squares? Working on changing those right now, actually. ;)

I'm not sure what to do with the walls for now, so I'll leave them be and come back to them later.

As for the grass and the caves...

[​IMG]

(Sonic's pallet is just something I was trying out here) The cave design was based off EHZ's glowing green wall... emerald... things.

Plus I think having the green grass works a bit better than it did while it was blue :v:

16. dsrb

dsrb

While I do quite like most of the art, those lights don't fit IMO (especially not in the S-bends, as seen in your post in Basic Questions). :P

17. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    [​IMG]
    Hope to release it soon, added pipes to make it more futuristic and as you can see the future is future hill zone.

18. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I do quite love that background.

19. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Wow! I love that environment, Animemaster; this looks like a nice deviation on a green zone. But are the flowers going to keep that box design? You could always try something like gear-shaped flowers or sunflowers with palm leaves sticking out of them.

20. Wow. When you were asking for opinions I thought the background was really quite bad, but together with the other art it really works.