don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Oh its more than a decent start. But I will say that the cannon at the bottom looks a bit more like machine-molded butter than a metal cannon that shoots spikeballs down at you.

2. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    This has been bugging me ever since I've seen the concept. The proportions are all off. I took a quick 10 minutes in Photoshop and changed them up just to show how I feel it should look, but then it still is off to me.

[​IMG]

3. ^ I'll admit I was thinking the same thing about the proportions, and I have to say I prefer your photoshop job.

4. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    I gotta say, I miss the silly cross-eyed look the original had, but I'll live with this 'ere newfangled angry look. I just won't like it :colbert:

I think the only thing I'm [only now] noticing that bugs me is how much the shape of the eyes seems to differ from the original. It's not exactly a major issue; most people don't and will never notice it, but in the original sprite they look like they had quite a bit of depth. Judging by that shading, they look just short the thickness of having stuck two skittles on the face. Trying something out might at least get rid of that "South Park look".

[E] Oh, and how much the left eye sticks out [/nitpick]

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I don't. I've been lovin Hamneggs concept over the original.

6. zemulii

zemulii

Well personally I don't think that's how it should look at all. The focus has been more on the proportions of the official art for awhile now and that is clearly based completely off the sprite. I quite like the new look (as in Sonuw's). It took awhile to get there, but I like where it's going now. So I don't think there's any need to go backwards.

7. Well, I'll take back my statement for now, as I'll like to see it in a mock up when it's finished.

8. Daveydude

Daveydude

I like that modification... except for the fact he looks like his being vaccumed upwards into the cap (yes I know its a quick edit)

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I like what JcFerggy tried to do with the shape, even if it ended up looking a bit too deformed.

By changing those shapes and proportions a little, the Nebula can look a lot better (in my oppinion):

Old/New/Artwork
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What I did:
    -Kept the hat as it was.
    -Made the Nebula inside a bit smaller.
    -Used JcFerggy's back for the Nebula.
    -Modified JcFerggy's bottom part, and made it taller while keeping the shape.
    -Made the reflection in front a bit more reflection-like.

What I'd change:
    -The eyes. Please, have a try at making the pupils rounder, and the eyelids a tiny bit less curved.
    -Perhaps the hands and arms should be a little bigger.

After seeing the cannon in these two versions, perhaps it could retract while it's not firing anymore?

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    That's the first shaping of the Nebula I've seen that I actually like. Nice job ICE. The previous version looks cramped and bloated by comparison.

11. zemulii

zemulii

Nice!! Yeah that's definitely an improvement. I feel more relaxed looking at that ;). I thought the change before was a bit extreme and unnecessary.. but it seems like it helped anyway!

12. Nice. It's weird how such a small change can make a massive difference.

One thing that I don't like is the rivets (or screws or whatever they are). It just seems strange, because one is missing where that reflection of light is.

13. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    [​IMG]

14. Yeah! That's a lo better. ;)

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't know, I think he still seems a bit too big inside the capsule.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, why the color change in the propeller's spinner? Perhaps, at this point, you should stop using the sprite as your main reference.

16. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I was never using the sprite as a reference to begin with. Everyone keeps having me edit the Nebula to the point where it looks like the sprite. The thick yellow border wasn't on the official art, the cannon thing wasn't so thin in the official art, and Nebula wasn't small enough where it looked like the hat would wobble all over the place as much in the official art.

My point is, every time I try to make it look more and more like the official art, mainly with the base, the majority keeps telling me to keep it close to the original sprite as possible. I finally just said "fuck it" and made the colors like the sprite because that sprite is apparently what the majority wants me to follow. At least, that's what it SEEMS like anyway...

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But the project's art direction leans more towards the official art, rather than the sprites themselves... doesn't it?

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Some of us I think that like it are leaving you to perfect it. I for one do prefer this to the original art. Also it was mentioned that one of the project aims is to do it more like the official art than the sprite art. Just keep doing what you are doing. I think you are doing great.

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It's actually more of a combination if you ask me.

20. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Well it doesn't really matter, because I still did the edit for the sake of trying to make progress. I made the Nebula a little less rounder at the back to try to make it look less cramped

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.