don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Ah, gotcha. Depending on how things work out that may or may not be necessary. Sky Chase will require some very specialized programming to work right, so there could be some stuff that gets changed up in general.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    [​IMG]
    Lava glow and some other stuff (Bullet- frames added)

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I like the concept of the glow. You really need to sort out the bottom of the mouth. It give the impression that it's jaw is broken. Other than that I really like it.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Can someone provide an ms paint example, about the jaw, I'm not entirely sure what people want. Thanks

5. zemulii

zemulii

I don't know if this was what the others meant, but maybe something more like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the lava glow looks awesome! Maybe a very subtle glow on the underside of the orb bits as well?

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    That's better. The blueish/greyish area could do with a more metallic look.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Willdo, also, should I add a kinda shadow under the balls, because I put then together as a test for myself and it looks very unrealistic...
    EDIT:
    Done!
    [​IMG]

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    The body and ball have a good metallic look. The head still looks like it's made of plastic.

Also could you do a picture of it all together. I have a feeling that heat reflection on the ball is going to look odd when a load of them are stacked on each other. Considering it supposed to get less the higher the balls.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    [​IMG]
    With the head on the top layer (sorry, I put the ball in front)

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Shouldn't the lava glow in the body look more... horizontal?

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, that glow should be more evenly distributed horizontally. The light blue section on the head and the neck pieces still looks kinda plasticy, though the neck pieces look moreso than the head.

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Ahh I thought they would clash when piled together. It's a nice idea you did but it just doesn't work when there are several together.

I agree with ICEknight. The lava glow needs to be more horizontal.

I think the head would look better if it was fix on a ball when it's moving. I've just looked at it in sonic 2 and it's layered the way you have done it there.

As another note. I would rather see the lava from LRZ been used as a concept guide for the HD art. It just looks tons better than HTZ lava. But whatever. It not my decision what way it goes (can you imagine how cool it would look with it being slow moving slick animation lava).

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Sonica, take another look at how the body orb is shaped. As you have it right now, it's not a perfect sphere and looks kind of lump like. The plating division line is also affected by this.

14. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Honestly, I think that you are going to want to start all over with a completely new base. There are many things wrong with the current one, especially with the back and mid section, that just aren't up to the quality standards we have set.

The middle ball looks like a bunch of random shapes, when in reality, the blue part should be a metal plate, with 'clips' over it. The curve at the top of it should be more round, and not come to a point as well. That is not what I am seeing at all on the current one.

The back is mis-shapen, especially on the line going around the middle. It doesn't follow the curve that the rest of the body should have

For the head, the bottom part of the mouth is too fat, and his collar looks weird, and not round, like it is going around his neck. Also note that he has a yellow gun inside his mouth.

These are all things that will need to be taken into account BEFORE starting the shading. The last thing is to make sure it is able to animate well, in this case the mouth will open and close. You will need to keep that in mind while creating all badniks, and it is something that can't come as an afterthought. We will get to all of the shading issues later, but for now, I suggest starting over from scratch and getting the basic shapes right, as it will cause less problems for you in the long run.

15. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

I think the body of Rexxon could use the full body and fins as seen in the official art. I doubt they'll be seen, but...

16. In the concept art, notice how the neck is attached to the body (the part that isn't under the lava). That will need to be added as well.

17. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

Can't we have these pictures on the first page?

[​IMG]

18. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    They are ;)

19. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

I meant first post, but now I see they are in the second post, kinda stupid of me.

20. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Looking at the artwork, it seems that there are little things connecting the spheres together. Perhaps Sonica could interpret these into his design?

EDIT: Fuck, it's already been mentioned. I need to learn to read. Meh, it's good to stress something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.