don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=279466:date=Feb 14 2009, 05:20 PM:name=Vincent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vincent @ Feb 14 2009, 05:20 PM) [​IMG][/quote]...That's so cool.

2. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I prefer the mouth closed one myself, too - the open-mouth doesn't suit the rest of his face. Also, I think his right ear is still too fat compared with the original

And as with Eggman, I think that smile - coupled with the position of the 'highlights' which makes them look like he's going cross-eyed - still makes him look too 'dorky' to be considered serious.

Actually, I think the more I look at that Eggman pose, the more he almost looks like he's actually a GOOD guy with a cheery face like that! And not a evil psychopathic maniac

See my avatar for a comparison :psyduck:

3. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Closed mouth definitely! It looks as if Tails is proud of himself instead of " OMG I FINISHED TEHLVL!11111!!!11" if you know what I mean.

Also, Its half term :D so Ill be "trying" to draw something again, dunno what I'm not quite sure what needs doing at the moment. The database is getting a bit cluttered ( EHZ section ) there is a lot of old art in there as well, but I'm sure I'll find something!

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

More Evil.

5. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Nah I prefer the last revision of the Robotnik Signpost, also the Tails on the left is much better. :(

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think this is the best one so far, but why changing the shine in his nose?

Anyway, here's a revision with not-so-prominent separations between teeth, and a different curve for his upper lip:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    That's an improvement, but I don't like the upper lip, He looks Buck-toothed.

8. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Vincent, have you considered giving Robotnik a hint of eyebrow near the top of his glasses? You could even use that to convey a better 'evil' look.

9. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I agree with Hodgy. A buck-toothed Robotnik looks ridiculous. How would it look without teeth divisions at all?

10. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Smaller overall smile. I interpret the sprite as having a division between the top set of whites and bottom sets of whites for teeth. More chin definition, and do something about angling his eyebrows or glasses or something. I saw the sprite changing from a black line to a gray line to imply angry eyebrows.

His armpits line should follow with the shirt highlight. That is what preserves his roundness in the sprite. I'd also like to see it if his shirt faded into black on the left and right edges because the sprite has thicker black edges. Might make him pop/project more.

11. Sciz

Sciz

edit: derp

12. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    How about ears? He had them in the OVA and in Sonic CD.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    The choice is due the sharing the same "good-guy" shading as Sonic & Co.
    It doesn't suit much with that pitch black BG the "Evil Dr." has on it's back.

Being WIP I'm still experimenting several solutions at the moment. Keep an eye on this post.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tell me :(

15. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Good God, no.

16. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I really think that he needs two layers of teeth.

[​IMG]

This is just a quick, dirty attempt at it (haven't even bothered to do a proper curve, instead using the line tool), but already it seems to me that he looks like he's grinning rather than gurning.

17. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
  18. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
  19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, I think the less we experiment with the graphics that don't need much interpretation, the better... =\

For example, his mouth does need some alternate interpretations, like:

-Adding a horizontal line a little below the middle.
    -Making the sides darker.
    -Making the lines between teeth more unnoticeable.
    -Making the mouth less wide.

Also, the drawn line for his chin looks a bit odd in there. Perhaps just using some shading like in the original would work better.

Well, he didn't look too "dark" in the originals... He seemed more like a goofy and crazy arch-rival than a Dr. Gang/Claw synister type.

Not saying that the shading isn't good, but it's perhaps too excessive.

20. Ritchie Ramone

Ritchie Ramone

I agree with ICEknight. I wouldn't keep the eyebrows in the final (or perhaps toning them down a bit to where it doesn't look too out-of-place). However, the original looks to me as if he's posing for a high school yearbook picture or something. I would probably keep the smile the way it is, but emphasize the fact that he's "determined" (I can't accurately describe it) and not quite "happy." Hope that helps some.