don't click here

Sonic Superstars Ultra Mega Spoiler Containment Thread for Spoilers [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I find it... interesting(?) that SEGA marketed this game's multiplayer component quite heavily and confidently, and yet here's a Twitter thread of video clips showing how buggy it functions. :ohdear:

These glitches are going to be fixed in a day 1 patch, right?...

... Right? :eyebrow:

I don't think this game is ready for release, all things considered up to this point. :flunked:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Is the phase of the boss any different, like there are new attack patterns or anything?

If not, I guess it's a unintended glitch. Would absolutely be wild if this was an intended secret though, would make me curious if there are any other obscured oddities in the game.

EDIT: Watched an archived video of the fight and the both the legs and the underside of the robot are still red; and the fight is the same. Guessing this is a glitch.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  3. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

Watching the Trip/Fang final boss fight here: https://www.twitch.tv/cinematriggermedia

These need checkpoints so badly. They're long and there's so much downtime. Making you replay a phase you already beat over and over isn't fun.

4. Vertette

Vertette

Good god, this looks awful. The game seems unable to handle players going off screen in any capacity.

Those rollercoasters in particular are broken beyond belief. They'l probably become a meme or something.

5. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I should note however, they are playing on an emulator, so perhaps not all these bugs will be present / as bad on actual hardware. I seriously hope it's just emulation shenanigans and not indicative of how things'll go down on native hardware. I think people will forgive me if I'm not exactly optimistic though, given the music tracks and audio mixing in this game are a clusterfuck. I wouldn't be surprised if multiplayer is indeed quite buggy. Besides, this is Arzest we're talking about here.

I'm getting flashbacks to Sonic Colours Ultimate, while some glitches were emulator-specific, the game still had numerous, serious native hardware issues nonetheless.

6. RikohZX

RikohZX

That PS4 stream had similar bugs for co-op at least, including one during a boss fight where a dead player somehow drowned and died a second time from over-top the living player. It's very hastily implemented and just plain untenable as a primary selling point.

7. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

I did see, at least, the Pinball Carnival rollercoaster glitch happen on real hardware. But yes, it's still pre-release. I'm not optimistic for the day 1 patch, but we'll see.

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Wait, so they pulled a Knuckles/[Super] Mecha Sonic with Trip? Fang serves as the final boss for her campaign instead of Eggman?

I honestly wouldn't had predicted that, I thought the climax of Golden Capital (where Trip transformed into her super dragon form and nuked the mech he tried to start up) would had been it for him for the rest of the story. Cool that they made the effort; although I do wonder when exactly this fight is supposed to happen in the overall broader story though. With Knuckles and [Super] Mecha Sonic in S3&K, that was explicitly after Sonic's story; but this final boss is also in Egg Fortress. So maybe it's somehow taking place at the same time (although it's in the same arena for Sonic and co.'s final boss against Eggman).

On a broader note, so Superstars has, what, three final bosses? The giant Eggman mech for S/T/K/A, Fang and his souped up Marvelous Queen (and then the aforementioned giant Fang-styled mech seen in Golden Capital) for Trip, and the "true" final boss with Super Sonic? (Which I assume is unlocked when you get all the Chaos emeralds and complete both the regular campaign and Trip's campaign? Someone come in and correct me if I'm wrong.)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  9. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Yeah, I remember watching that too! :rolleyes:

Honestly, they would probably have been better off just having multiplayer solely sectioned off to the dedicated multiplayer Battle Mode they have, if they couldn't get it working properly in regular levels. Half-arsing its implementation just makes the game look sloppy and unappealing. The roller-coasters are particularly bad with their interaction of more than 1 character at a time, it doesn't just look bad, it seems borderline unplayable and unfun.

10. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

Well, don't know.

The streamer is fighting a two-phase Fang battle right now at the end of Egg Fortress. I don't know if anything will come after it, like an Eggman V2, because they haven't beaten him yet. They've been going for an hour. It's HARD.

Haven't seen the a "true" final boss or Super Sonic fight yet, and am not sure there even is one. That blue dragon pic posted awhile back - honestly I think that's just a new stage boss in the middle of Trip's story.

11. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Trivia: Fang does, in fact, use a pop gun in this game. Or rather, a cork gun:

upload_2023-10-13_19-27-44.png

12. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    This track is funky as hell. It's even got a Hydrocity reference in there, I love it.

13. I like the composition quite a bit but the lead that half plays the Hydrocity riff sounds like when I’m producing a song and haven’t decided on an instrument for a melody yet. It has a very “placeholder” feel to it.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I beat everything, lovely game overall although apparently the files are littered with early versions of various tracks, so I’m almost wondering if some of these songs aren’t done yet.

That Trip vs Final Fang fight took me 2 hours, there are so many one hit kills. His mega cork gun is a bitch slap of death, as are his lasers. There’s a move he only does towards the very end that destroys 80% of the area you’re currently on it’s extremely easy to die. That fight was tough, and very, very long. Some of these fights need checkpoints.

That being said, Trips story mode is the best classic extended mode since playing as Knuckles in Sonic 3. Far better than episode Metal and much more varied than Encore mode. I love playing as trip too, and she is precious and adorable and her super form is ridiculous and fantastic.

15. Act 2 tho':

Made me transcend.

16. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

Anything special unlocked after Trip's story? Found a 12th zone anywhere?

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You unlock a final story, where Classic Super Sonic fights his first monster of the week, you can unlock Metal trip for battle mode, and beating the final story gives you… nothing. Just you beat the game I guess.

Oh, and look who shows up after all
    [​IMG]
    In a game with Metal Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggrobo in it it would be a real shame if he didn’t show so glad he does.

Speaking of Eggrobo, in another S3K throwback, Trip fights Eggrobo instead of Eggman and the fights are harder.

18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Does the final story unlock the instant you beat that Fang final boss?

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yup. Shows up on the main menu.

The last story is only one boss but it’s cute they give Classic Super sonic his own little hub world. I like this hub btw, just like Generations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    https://www.twitch.tv/cinematriggermedia

Thank you.

This guy's been on that fight for about... 4 hours now.

I played the first 4 zones with the Emu, and I'm not going to spoil my experience any further with a weaker version of the game (though it actually looks surprisingly sharp in 4K even with the low res textures), so I've decided to hold off on any further gameplay until release. Especially since there is now a small chance that a Day 1 patch will in fact change some things like potentially unfinished Music afterall.