Sonic Superstars Ultra Mega Spoiler Containment Thread for Spoilers [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Oct 12, 2023.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

And then you have this song that still uses those damn snares and a synth focus but also manages to make something surprisingly in-depth and really pretty good with the final result that lasts notably long.

2. Vertette

Vertette

I have no idea where you're supposed to find it, but apparently it does exist:
    boss.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. RikohZX

RikohZX

Judging by another image I've seen of the hub map, there's more to collect than the Chaos Emeralds to get it. Alternatively that's just part of a cutscene I saw, because it also sounds like you mostly just have to beat Trip's story with all Emeralds or something, given she's got a re-arranged Hard Mode of sorts.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  4. Vertette

Vertette

I've heard you gotta beat Trip's story with all emeralds to unlock it. Apparently it just randomly comes out of nowhere and takes a long time to beat.

5. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The boss fight alone or Trip's Story?

I see the timer is 9 minutes, but I wonder if there's an act proceeding the boss.

6. Vertette

Vertette

Yeah the boss itself. The timer being at 9 minutes supports that.

7. That boss looks like Trip's own Super form, is that a corrupted version of her?

8. JackBz

JackBz

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Vertette

Vertette

I genuinely don't know who it is. The person sharing these screenshots said it just appears out of the ocean and fights you. Apparently nothing in the game builds up to it, but that'd be bizarre even for Arzest.

My best guess is it was supposed to either have something to do with the animated short, or something with Sonic 3's lore.

Dang. They really should have stuck with a smaller team of composers.

10. This could easily be in a sequel to Sonic CD. It's bonkers. Act 1's also pays a lot of homage to Hydrocity Zone's motifs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    While I do hear the Sonic CD vibes now I see it mentioned, my immediate reaction to hearing this track on a live stream was "Oh shit, this gives me serious Rusty Ruin Zone Saturn vibes, fuck yeah!". As someone whose top favourite Sonic track in general is Saturn Rusty Ruin Zone: Act 1, I'm so happy to hear a clean version of Lagoon City Zone: Act 2. This is definitely one of my favourite tracks in this game! It even has the gradual volume increase intro, very akin to that aforementioned Saturn track. <3

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    This blew me away, holy shit. And, like @Naean, I was instantly reminded of Rusty Ruin Act 1 (Saturn). I was just slightly annoyed that we had such a mixed bag for no good reason, but listening to this absolute banger stung much more. We could have had it so much better.

13. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Final boss in 4king cunting space AGAIN?!?

At this point it makes more sense for Sonic to just stay up there and not bother coming back down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Whoops! Double post. sos.

15. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The inconsistency in the soundtrack is a bigger issue than individual tracks sucking.

I'd be fine with Senoue's FM tracks if that was the general soundtracks (of course, I'd infinitely prefer a soundtrack of the better, more modern tracks), but hearing different games in the same game bothers me more.

I wonder if there was a bigger issue in the sound department than simply the sound director's issues with "classic-style" music. The heavy reuse of sound effects isn't a problem to me but the Mania Act Clear jingle being straight up reused and the sound mixing... there's more to this, I feel.

16. Palas

Palas

It's difficult to tell, but just the amount of composers tells me there was barely any music direction at all. They all must have worked fairly independently, with no common ground for composition or arrangement, only maybe remixing each other's songs when the time came for Act 2s and the like. Which, mind you, is not unlikely to have been the workflow for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

17. Well guys, I don't post here very often, hardly ever infact.

But what I will say is this....

Consider "Sonic Superstars" to be the "Sonic 1" of this new generation.

This is the first iteration!

Granted, it may not be perfect in all areas, or perhaps not consistently strong across every zone.

I have avoided the spoilers so cannot comment on graphics, sound or level layouts. I will reserve judgement until I buy and play this game. The first Sonic game I will have purchased since Mania!

The game may not be perfect, no game is! But I am sure they have got a lot right, especially the physics, which is a massive step forward.

So if we get behind this game and buy it, the money will be there for the devs to build a sequel.

The groundwork has been done to get this next generation of classic sonic to where it is, lets back the devs and give them a platform to further improve this game with DLC and possibly a sequel!

MCJeffsy Out!

18. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The Michael Jackson tracks was definitely evident of that for S3&K.

I do think there was some music direction, and ironically it's probably why the music is so inconsistent: I'm guessing that the different composers were told to make "Genesis-style (or whatever Senoue would describe is) music" and then were allowed to make what THEY think is "Genesis-style".

So we got music ranging from Tee Lopes, who makes what he usually makes and we just associate it with "Classic Sonic", to composers who make music reminiscent to Genesis music without necessarily having the exact instrumentation, to Senoue's own tracks which follow his idea of what "classic" is.

I do agree that this game, like Frontiers, is the start of something new, and while I'm glad it's also still really good on its own, it'll benefit and age better if they truly are moving forward and improving on these ideas in the future.

Though Frontiers' flaws and issues are more accepted because no game is like Frontiers at all, while Superstars is still very evocative of the classics and can be compared. There's no ceiling for Frontiers but there is a ceiling for classic games and it's unfortunate that its new ideas held it back, despite having a great foundation.

19. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    The more time goes on, the more I'm beginning to align this way as well. Considering the totality of all soundtrack inconsistencies, I think too many cooks spoiled the broth here... And, well, Jun spoiled things especially unfortunately.

I'm so very tempted to outright state "I wish just Tee and Rintaro had collabed the entire soundtrack as a duo effort, without any other musician involvement.", but first I gotta know who's responsible for Lagoon City Zone: Act 2. It reminds me of Tee's Press Garden Zone: Act 2, so I have an inkling it might be his work, but I want official confirmation of who did what.

20. Palas

Palas

Unless there was a deliberate call for variety and different interpretations, that isn't a direction at all. But then again I find it extremely weird that Egg Fortress Act 1 is just a rearranged Press Factory Act 2, which may be indicative of not enough time to do proper work.

Also it's time to stop pretending. The composition in those generic main melody, Sonic 4 ass, 20-second-loop, tunes with no harmonic or rhythmic variation whatsoever isn't good either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List