don't click here

Sonic Origins - Known Issues

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mustapha, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Authentic
    https://www.twitch.tv/rick_danto/clip/NurturingDifferentRingMVGame

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    That's not a glitch.

3. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    This can happen in the original game too

4. Xilla

Xilla

I often used to try and get as many of the balloons as possible to follow me to the capsule area!

5. In Sonic 2’s ending, Amy’s spin (as she falls to the Earth before Tails catches her) is missing some frames of animation, resulting in her rotation looking choppy (like her Special Stage run)

6. Sonic 3 & Knuckles played as Knuckles on the Switch version (presumably this is the case on the other versions as well):

The Sandopolis -> Lava Reef transition as Knuckles is still bugged, he still falls down like Sonic and/or Tails instead of simply walking right.

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

It's less so they botched the animation and more that Amy's hover animation is consistently S3 styled while S2's format uses less frames. Knuckles if I recall had a similar issue.

8. KenzoBlue

KenzoBlue

I was casually playing origins and I encountered something curious. It turns out despite the devs took little portions of the 2011 menu, the full main menu is still there.

STEPS:
    1. Complete a Boss Rush with any character in Sonic CD
    2. Re-enter the Boss Rush with a save
    3. You'll be presented a glitchy how to play screen (you can press ESC to return to the main menu)

https://twitter.com/bluesduck128/status/1680051479103537153

I also want to note that some of Amy's animations are missing frames, as mentioned before. The skid animation is poorly programmed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  9. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I can confirm this happens on the Switch too. The How To Play screen has no text and you can only quit out to the original Sonic CD 2011 menu. You cannot start a new game from here, as the action appears to be disabled. All other options are either disabled or have no bearing on the game state itself, such as the soundtrack and spindash options. Except that Time Attack is accessible, and this is where it gets funky. It loads you into a stage (in a glitchy state), lets you finish the stage, and then your game is soft locked at the sign post. No results screen, no ability to save. You have to shut down the game and start again. Very weird.

Anyway, I've finally finished my playthrough of Sonic 3 and Knuckles and I have another list of things I encountered on the way. Some are very minor, and more nit-picks, but as before, I am listing them here regardless.

General:
    • Shields and invincibility go behind walls when you have low priority (Path swappers)
    • Many sound effects are either wrong, or don't play correctly. Seems more evident in the second half of the game
    • You can skip some cutscenes with the start button (or equivalent), but not all. It isn't apparent which ones can be skipped, and sometimes skipping a cutscene can have unexpected side effects
    Launch Base:
    • Launch Base is missing many path swappers that handle high/low priority. This is much more obvious with the spinning cups and the large rotating drums
    • The bonus area with 3 monitors at the top right of Sonic/Tails path in Act 2 is impossible to reach due to some badly placed path swappers
    • Collapsing floor objects use the wrong art
    • You can Hyper Dash under the Act 2 boss platform with the invisible fans on the side and die
    • When returning from the star post before the Act 2 bosses, you are on the wrong priority layer (low, not high)
    Mushroom Hill:
    • Decorative objects (log tops and bottoms, corner grass, masking grass, etc.) are completely missing. This is incredibly obvious with the logs you walk behind as they look like they're floating and aren't connected to anything
    • The camera jerks in an uncomfortable way when riding on a pulley
    • The camera locks really early before the Act 1 miniboss
    • The camera doesn't lock for Knuckles Act 2 encounter
    • There is no sound for the fans during the Knuckles Act 2 encounter
    • In Knuckles' Act 2 route, holding left as soon as you grab hold of the floating mushroom can put you into a broken state. Objects ignore Knuckles, and even death pits no longer work. You can get quite far into the Act, but eventually you have to restart the Act
    • You can jump over the Act 2 boss as Hyper Sonic. This can result in a soft lock where you are in the endless running path but the boss isn't there, forcing you to restart the Act
    Flying Battery:
    • You can longer jump from the second set of monkey bars to the third at the start due to the physics being slightly different
    • The Act 1 music is using the prototype/Sonic 3 alone version where the backing track is out of sync
    • Transforming into Super/Hyper near a fan pole will cancel super/hyper transformation
    • You can cancel the camera following you after a spindash with another spindash if you are quick enough. This can be tested against the moving yellow blocks, and can cause you to go off screen
    • After the first starpost in Act 2, a capsule containing badniks is missing
    • The railing for the spider behind the mesh drum is missing
    Sandopolis:
    • There's some graphical cut off with the sloped ground in front of sand falls. This is zone wide, and looks really bad. It looks like the tiles that were originally used for this just don't exist
    • Swinging platforms move in a different way that feels unnatural. They also don't fully reset after moving
    • Some of the falling sand objects don't extend down far enough
    • When pushing a sand block, all other objects have no collision and will go through the player
    • The curve launch object throws you straight up instead of diagonally when moving too fast
    • 2 decorative sand slope objects are missing in the lower path before the boss
    • The camera locks too far over to the left
    • You can skip the cutscene at the end of Act 1 by pressing the start button (or equivalent). Doing so will start Act 2 with the lights on
    • The light cycle/ghost spawn timer doesn't reset after a death
    • Hitting the Act 2 Boss quickly in succession can cause the AI logic to fail, and the boss will no longer move. When defeated, Eggman doesn't display the right animation either
    Lava Reef:
    • The Act 1 door can close with you still inside. You have to restart the Act at this point
    • Act 1's layout loop after the drillbot encounter can be mostly skipped with Super/Hyper forms as the blocks that should be broken from underneath can be broken from above
    • When Hyper dashing in the Act 1 miniboss, the camera can sometimes unlock to the right, and you can exit the boss area
    • Path swappers are missing in the room with the large rotating drums with handles/spikes in Act 2
    • In the Boss Act, the 2 collapsing platforms together before the stair climb collapse way too early
    • Dying in the boss act before the starpost causes the boss act to restart but it remembers everything. Your shield, rings, etc.
    Hidden Palace:
    • The camera doesn't lock to stop Sonic/Tails from backtracking through Knuckles' route
    • There's some chunk cut off above the main teleporter
    Sky Sanctuary:
    • Teleporters can stop transformation
    • Teleporter animation can also be broken out of with transformation
    Death Egg:
    • Large conveyer platforms can be triggered early
    • No large conveyer platform in the secret area entrance
    • Some of the blue swinging platforms aren't placed correctly and they also move in an unnatural way
    • You can jump over the red eye miniboss, causing the camera to unlock to the left. If you lead phase 2 of the red-eye miniboss over to this left area, the spinning platforms break and disappear
    • The ending explosion and fade out after the Death Egg robot lasts way too long, and you can die even when the screen is white during the fade

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. KenzoBlue

KenzoBlue

I'd like to add more stuff I've found:

-In Sandopolis Zone (especifically in Amy's Boss Rush), the camera in the boss arena isn't locked.
    -There's a glitched item box in Metallic Madness 2 Present, if you break it, a red spring will pop up instead of the item icon.
    -Now the SPZ's transition to act 2 has music when it should be silent. I don't know if it should apply to Launch Base Zone's transition to Mushroom Hill Zone.

11. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    I recall Launch Base Zone's transition to Mushroom Hill Zone having music in the original game for Sonic and Tails. In the case of Knuckles, though, music should be absent.

12. If you’re playing as Sonic (or Sonic w/Tails), then Carnival Night Act 1 and Mushroom Hill Act 1 will start with Tails flying Sonic to the ground. This is correct and as it should be.

However, if you’re playing as Amy (or Amy w/Tails), then Carnival Night Act 1 and Mushroom Hill Act 1 will start with Amy (or Amy w/Tails) just already standing on the ground. The special level start that Sonic got should have happened with Amy too, but it inexplicably doesn’t.

13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Does this work on Nintendo Switch version? I've beat the Sonic CD Boss Rush with Amy and also Tails. But when I re-enter the boss rush with a save, the how to screen doesn't appear. It just plays as normal. I followed the video in the tweet.

14. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Not encountered any new issues when playing with Amy in S1&2, but I have experienced a few glitches in CD. After I time traveled on the lowest route near the end of CC act 2 when Amy reappeared she just fell to her death.

I did a playthrough of CD with Amy and the following glitch happened in Quart Quadrant Act 2 Good Future... (31:26)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Apparently if you set your PC's audio to mono through accessibility settings to fix the weird stereo audio of the Game Gear games, it creates a weird effect in Sonic 2 where the volume of at least the music fluctuates. Would be nice if they just included a proper in-game mono audio toggle to potentially fix this.

Though I've heard apparently the GG games can also have some slowdown/input lag, like some bits of the former in S1 and the latter at least in S2/STT. Not that I'd know if that could be mitigated by another patch. Not sure if it's the emulator's inclusion into the Hedgehog Engine if Origins is unique in acting this way, but it'd be nice for this game to just work normally for five minutes.

• List
  16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Okay so I turned into Hyper Amy in Angel Island, Hydrocity, and Mushroom Hill. For some reason, Hyper Amy does NOT have the afterimages in Angel Island.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That's the patch notes for what they fixed. The thread is about what they didn't fix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List