don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I ended up getting a little ahead of myself way back when. For some reason I thought that Blitzsonic could actually use some kind of loading scheme to it that streams data as you play. Well, I found out that didn't work, and I also found out that having a gameplay that was solely endless exploration would have no sense of direction at all.

But believe me, stages are not flat-out linear; no, not at all. Stages will be giant and explorable, just not all really hooked together seamlessly. There will be lots of paths, yes, and there will be alot of platforming, speed and exploration, but stages will be set to where you must make it to the end, just like every other Sonic game. Yes, this game will have more emphasization on running around by free will, finding little secrets and toying with physics, but the structure will still be the same as it always was with the Genesis games.

..which you know, really, the previous (failed) idea was the main reason why the game was called "FreeRunner" in the first place. Another reason why I should get a different name than it. -_-

2. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    And that planning process arguably works BETTER for this; all the level paths must meet at the beginning and end.

Anyway, mind if I submit some level layout concepts?

3. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    You'd think using a model ripped from an official game might make it more likely to be slapped with a cease and desist order by Sega...

I'd prefer to see original models whipped up for this project, personally. If I still knew how to use 3DS Max or another modeling program, I'd contribute my services, but I haven't used it in almost 4 years. So.. yeah.

4. I asked you if I could use it for personal use, and I could. But not release it, or give it out. I gave Azukara those screens, not the actually model(s) shown.

That can be done, I have an idea how.

Also, azukara, you may sign me up as modeler.

5. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I remember the "for private use" part at least. Thanks for holding to that, by the way.

6. [​IMG]

Does that says enough :v:

7. I really shouldn't take on more projects...but I'm making Sonic stuff anyway, so I suppose I could help. You will need all the modelers you can get for something like this.

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Okay, I've been asleep for the past couple of hours.. sorry about that guys :v:

No, not at all. I'm sorry I couldn't answer earlier; I was dead asleep.

Okay, I'm looking at this and it's definitely a start for some level design. I'll post up screenshots ASAP. =)

Actually, I would too. However I don't exactly know of anybody with a completely awesome talent of making Sonic models (high-poly and mostly original). Of course, I've seen people like Doberkatops, Twilightwolf and Sigacomer, but I'm pretty sure they won't wanna help.. I'm just a little shy to come to big talent like theirs ^^;

Actually I just found a great model that looks like Unleashed's but was supposedly all handmade:
    [​IMG]

This one below is also an excellent model, even though the creator (Twilightwolf) said it was really messy and old:
    [​IMG]

Yep, of course I've known you were working on a camera thing all along; that's why I told him we were! =P

And okay, modeller it is.

Woo, this team sure is getting big.. 'what can I say, the more the merrier!' :specialed:

9. I know I'm a modeler, I just thought I'd be silly and draw some shit.
    [​IMG]

The name "Artillery Harbor" reminded me of that cheesy powerboat arcade game that had all kinds of funny environments, so with that in mind I went a little overboard with this (oops, forgot to rotate it)...
    [​IMG]

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Now I really admire that Artillery Harbor scene, Dragon. =) It's just that your stages seem a little too linear. Don't forget that of course there will be many other routes incorporated. Plus, there may be a little bit of Metal Harbor from SA2 thrown in, and some of Radical Train. And I see you're throwing in some tropical areas in the picture. Maybe that's where we could put the Wave Ocean-esque stuff? =P

11. Yeah I can't seem to get a 2.5D game out of my head. If I draw another one, I'll be sure to incorporate some alternative routes. I'll make sure you can get good and lost in it.

Now that you mention it, I should have split the course after the sub, where a cave goes into the wall, and comes out behind the docks and makes you go through the fort. :P

12. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    I can draw you up some level/map ideas today; I'll post them later.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Alright; sounds nice. =)

And you know what? I need to make two staff sets; one that has the programmers/modellers/leaders, and the concept art crew. XD Not trying to make anybody feel less important, but the staff list has got quite long and needs to be organized.

14. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Hate to double-post, but:

[​IMG]
    Minor 1st level (Paradise Oasis) update. This is just an in-progress waterfall area; Green Hill-esque elements will be added soon.

15. Made by me :)

Im gonna extend it, since its really small now. you may leave ideas here

16. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I had an idea for a strange water level, actually. Based on a bug on Sonic Classic. Basically, imagine a water level where the water would be placed most bizzarrely and with no regards to gravity- not only would it be on the floor, but occasionally on the ceiling, and even have a vertical surface instead of a horizontal one, once in a while. With reverse waterfalls and all that.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    [​IMG]
    Like that? :v:

18. I've worked on Paradise Oasis.

[​IMG]

19. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
  20. MOAR UPDATES

[​IMG]

Don't expect much updates on the stage soon. Tomorrow I'll continue working on it.