don't click here

Concept Workbench

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Somehow, it almost reminds me of Dr. Rob's Mean Bean Machine - perhaps as Sonic gets closer to destroying it, Robotnik/Eggman's face changes from
    crazy enjoyment>anger>worried>panicking (or just getting more angry); That'd be cool.

I like the idea, but don't you think that's just a little... overkill there?

2. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I think a solid wall of monitors is kinda overkill, however, this reminds me of the last boss in Gunstar Heroes. In that fight there's just one big screen in the background and fog all over. The screen just shows space in that, but it could be that the entire back wall of the last boss arena is one hugeass screen that's off at first, rendering the room dark, and then suddenly turns on, and illuminates the room with the glow of the space being shown on-screen.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm kinda content with it just being a window with space on the other side.

4. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I definitely like space/the Earth being visible...but the monitor idea is cool, too. Maybe some sort of hybrid using both?

5. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO HAS ADMITTED TO PLAYING THAT GAME! And also, this idea sounds great, but doesn't the boss battle take place over a significant horizontal distance, e.g. two screen's width? That would complicate this concept. Perhaps have the monitor and fog, but also with plentiful airport style windows.

6. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The concept of having the monitors in the room with Metal Sonic is a good one, but in my mind it doesn't fit well for the end boss. Having the Death Egg go dark after Metal Sonic is defeated with only red emergency lights until the Egg Robo appears and activates would be a good ambient touch to ramp up the tension though.

7. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    And smoke. Always add smoke. Motherfucka.

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    What if the Silver Sonic fight had its background filled with TVs, and rather than just having the screen crack, actually have the TVs fall off the Death Egg as the fight continues, revealing the planet below, before its final defeat puts the place in a complete blackout, before facing the final boss in a darkish room that's otherwise the same as the original?

9. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    I'd be all over a playable Amy like in Sonic Advance but it seems like too much effort for an extra.

Also the ending cut-scene should be animated.

10. test-object

test-object

There's been a lot of talk about this and it was decided to not have such a thing (for now).

The Amy... eh... do you really want Amy of all characters?

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Well why not? She was pretty fun in Sonic Advance.

12. test-object

test-object

Yeah, but come on... Amy vs. Silver (Metal) Sonic? Not a chance :p

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Why not? She has a hammer, and she did a pretty good job busting up a rapist robot Zero with it. I mean...does it even have to make sense? Amy is just another facet of gameplay that's different enough from Sonic to be entertaining.

14. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Well if you guys are pushing for Amy, Ima push for Shadow. He was hella fun in Megamix.

15. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    At this point you're all making me think this is a group troll thing. I had a one word response the last time someone brought up Shadow, and it doesn't change this time around. Until further notice, the same applies to Amy. We're not remaking Sonic CD, we're not overhauling the graphics on Megamix. It's Sonic 2, simple as that. Again, once we are completely done with the game and the extras we've planned, then and only then will we take a look at adding additional characters, and currently there exists no need to beyond the main three.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Just for clarification, I wasn't trollin'. Just playin devil's advocate.

17. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Mission accomplished.

Okay, another idea. Since we aren't limited to (what was it?) 3 parallax layers as in the original genesis, why not make several layers, e.g. 6, to hold the backgrounds of levels like CPZ? It would add a significant amount of depth to the environment, making it seem more like an endless industrial farm, rather than a one-city-block deep one with a whole lot of buildings in that single block.

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    The backgrounds will most definitely be deeper, and have more layers than they did originally. The only thing to really talk about with those is what they're going to look like, and on that note; I do like the idea of having Chemical Plant's background look like some kind of endless industrial farmland.

19. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Going on Hamneggs idea, what if we had in the backgrounds (in the distance) the zone we're going to play next? - eg. when we're in the EHZ, far in the background you'll see CPZ (behind the Emerald Hills you'd see the CPZ tower blocks), and even further in the bg (depending on things distance-wise) can be the zone after that.

Of course that would only happen if ther background is an open "expanse" like what EHZ has - unlike CPZ which is full of buildings.

Secondly, are we going to animate the background more than it is now (thinking something similar to the Sonic fan game here), or are we leaving it static?

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Can we please leave it static, only animating it as much as the original was?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.