don't click here

Concept Workbench

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Hmm, interesting. Now that I've thought about this more I think it might be neat if there's like a visible current wave flowing through the tubes. As for your concept, Hamneggs, it reminds me more of something you'd maybe see in the special stages. I'm sure it's probably just the colors and glowyness to it, though. Perhaps you could try removing some of the glowyness and add some of the aforementioned current waves into it and animate that.

2. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Original:
    [​IMG]

Hamneggs Layed on Original:
    [​IMG]

Mystic Glow Version [Hamneggs]:
    [​IMG]

Empty Tube:
    [​IMG]

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I really like the concept so far Hamneggs. What comes to mind is that it could do with being the same consistency as the stuff that Robotnik uses to kill Sonic. Like It's got a thickness to it like paint rather than it flowing like clean water. Though doing that might just make the the stuff look static.

I think this looks the best at the moment. By the way, seeing that S2HD is going to have additional animations. Are you going to do more animation for the revolving platform? Could do with an animation test.

4. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Of course. The revolving platform is an object, and by that has support for unlimited number of animation frames

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I was asking if MaximusDM would do one in Maya. :)

6. Since this topic is for concepts only, here's some ideas I think should be included:
    1. + - A secret "Sonic Retro" cheat that would do something extremely cool, like for example it could unlock a "behind the scenes" of the many months (years?) of the making of S2HD, or playing as Amy, or being able to put in official/unofficial Game Genie/Pro Action Replay codes.  
    2. An Easy mode for people new to Sonic (and/or noobs like me)
    3. A level editor with the ability to create custom tiles or use existing ones, as well as being able to upload/download them from the 'net. I absolutely adore level editors.
    4. The options screen if it's not already going to be put in. I admit I would miss it.
    5. The original title screen, complete with the island in the background. I'm not a fan of the blue background we have right now.
    6. The option to have Ashura (is that how it's spelled?) or some other character play through levels for you, like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. (Ashura's that green Sonic guy, right?)
    7. The option to play without the spin dash, because it would be interesting.
    8. (This is insane, but) Four player co-op. If not co-op, then some puzzle-type levels could be designed with the intent of having four players help each other get to the end, or to hinder each other.
    9. The option to play as flying/non-flying Tails. I never liked how playing as Tails did nothing special except give you badass twin tails.
    10. (And now that I'm thinking of Tails) Better AI for Tails. He should avoid things like spikes and other hazards instead of crashing into them to get back to Sonic.
    Those are my ideas. I'd have more but I'm kinda tired.

EDIT: Yes, #1 does have a spoiler tag on it.

7. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    ...Did I miss something?

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Obviously it needs some work to fine-tune, but I think the faster flow is a lot better.

EDIT: Wow didn't realize there was a whole other page before I replied. I'm referring the Hamneggs latest CPZ water flow example, incase anyone was like "the hell is he talking about?".

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Ideas are welcome. Many of your suggestions will even be expanded upon, as much as possible. Anything that doesn't break the gameplay, or the way we look at original Sonic is welcome.

The limits of co-op players can only be set by testing. It would probably crush the engine instead of Eggman, as so much information and stuff can go wrong.

Customization is a feature that will be looked over, including new layouts and levels but as for now we're doing our best to keep S2HD identity intact on its main content.

10. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    If you make the Tails AI smart, it would probably make boss battles way too easy. >_>

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    It would probably be so he tries to avoid traps and enemies normally instead of just running into and attracting everything in sight (fucking starfish). Other than that he would just act like he normally does. There could be a mode where the computer takes control of him like a second player would, but I don't really think it'd be necessary.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    "For GODS SAKE TAILS DAMNIT" is an essential part of my Sonic 2 experience.

13. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Another idea to toss around:
    We all know that to make an entire wall the color of Dijon mustard makes an ugly wall, right?
    Well that's kinda what was done in DEZ. So I just came up with this little idea to propose a way to fix that.
    (Yes, I know it's not the original bg.)
    [​IMG]

14. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    That's a really good idea Hamneggs. Putting a more concrete reminder in place that this is happening on the Death Egg in orbit would add a great level of atmosphere.

15. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Working further on this idea:

[​IMG]

I also had an idea for after that:
    When Sonic chases Robotnik (who is on the background, riding a segway) there's gradually more and more tv's, each one zaps to Robotniks face following you when you pass by. When we arrive at the boss and he hops in, the entire room is FILLED with tv's with Robotnik's face on them. Every time you hit the robot, he makes an angry faic and 1 or 2 tv's could blow up. This not only would add a bit claustrophobia/paranoia into the mix, it would also give a spectacular effect when they all explode in the end. Robotnik would be so egocentric to place his face all over the DEZ, using his signature TV's.

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I like these concept ideas being thrown in at the moment. I suppose the question is would the staff be happy to bend the rules a bit to make DEZ a more independent level from the CPZ artwork?

17. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Sounds a tad like vectorman... But it is a good idea.

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I'm alright with it. A few of us, myself included want to make it more of a standalone level at some point anyways, so changing some assets shouldn't be an issue. I know I've talked about one or two ideas about it in the past on here, and if I knew where those were at I'd direct you to them, but I don't. I know they're for sure somewhere in the archive, though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to add that test-object's idea is kinda cool. I'll have to keep that in mind for later.

19. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Here's 3 more mock-ups.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

And we can also experiment like this:

[​IMG]

20. I would add some windows in addition to the TVs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.