don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    This game has everything! It has Classic Sonic so that'll surely ensure that classic fans will love it, they'll eat up anything with his face on it. And it's got Shadow! Everyone loves Shadow. Death to all who oppose him. And it has Infinite! He'll cut you down in a second. He was born of this pain. It only hurts if you let it. And it has the roughest of waves, Chaos! That'll satisfy the Adventure fans. Plus there's Coldsteel the customizable rookie! That alone should satisfy the entire fan base. And there's Metal Sonic! Huer huer's from Stardust Speedway are coming back baby. And there's that red guy from that one game! He's cool right? And there's Egg Dragoon, a random boss from Sonic Unleashed for some reason! You can play as Sonic, Sonic, and your own fan character! And it has levels from Sonic Generations! It even has Green Hill Zone! How exciting! The nostalgia will be HUGE! You can even play Block Hill Zone Green Hill Zone as Shadow! This has something for all of the fans! The entire fan base will be pleased! It might even have Chemical Plant Zone, just think of the nostalgia!

2. this game is fucked now. even if they pull a surprise Chao garden! or surprise playable silver none of the detractors will be swayed. the hooters thing was funny but more returning modern stages? even if they're heavily revamped and long its still asset reuse. the tag team being fully 3d might get scrapped.
    I guess i lose, no one outside the modern fans will like this
    fucking hell

3. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    You know, given how blatantly they seem to be trying to pander to everybody with this game, it's actually somewhat surprising they haven't also included some borked Chao Garden.

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Don't forget Forces is supposed to have been in development for four years, compared to Mania being produced in roughly just one year.

5. RikohZX

RikohZX

So judging by the TGS stuff shortly ago, more DLC for Forces is on its way, which is more than can be said for Generations at least - but Episode Shadow's quality leads me to believe it's probably going to be more slapdashed stages with maybe other characters at best. Episode Shadow will have a White Forest remix in there too. And apparently played the whole of Fist Bump, though I missed that part.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Hey, if it's more characters that you can play in other main stages, that's better than nothing at all.

From the TGS music stream tonight, we got a bit of clean level music, and later a longer version of fist bump, as well as white jungle's theme (probably in one of Shadow's levels). A shame that the two singers weren't at their best alongside the latter two songs. In general live stuff is never as good as the fully mixed and edited songs, but it still stuck out. I'll definitely say I've warmed up to Fist Bump considerably, though. The lyrics are still dopey as hell but hooterstank's voice isn't so bad.

Anyway, here's the clean stage themes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUf_0NK85k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDdThQe3WxY

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I honestly don't think that Forces had been in development for that long at all. The engine would have been in development for a while of course. But, I can't believe that they were actively working on the game that would become Forces for four years. I'd argue it's more of a two-year effort at best, and it was significantly impacted by Mania.

8. RikohZX

RikohZX

Also have this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJu_UiepGqE

9. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    RE: Sunset Hill and Tag Team GHZ

HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Okay, I really like these tracks, but that synth is just a little bit too overbearing. More so in Sunset Heights.

I'm excited for the rest of the OST, but I hope the tracks don't all start to blend together. Varied instrumentation could really do this a ton of favours.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9MLw6-08PU

12. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    That was honestly really good. Like, REAL good. Orchestral music in Sonic games never really seem to disappoint.

13. Amnimator

Amnimator

Some of the music so far has been pretty darn good. Something that worries me about Green Hill Tag Team Section A is that the Section A part of the level is so short, you won't even get to listen to half of it.
    The style of music kind of reminds me of some of the Dragon Ball games:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7JbrxzpOW0[/video]

14. serpx

serpx

In regards to the reveal of us getting more levels from past games, I wouldn't hold up the pitch-forks yet. No one said how many NEW levels we're getting from past games. If they're creating completely new assets for new "next-gen" style levels, I personally think that'd be pretty cool. Cool due to the levels being stylized in the theme of "What would this look like if Eggman took over?" There's already a hint of White Jungle, which would be sick. In my top 10 favorite 3D levels, for sure.

I'd also like to comment on the released music. First, "Sunset Heights" and "Tag Team Act" have way too much synth. Annoyingly so. They release this epic behind-the-scenes Orchestra video, then we have this synth-mess of tunes that are below average at best in Sonic standards. To talk more about the Orchestra video, that was pretty awesome. I have mixed feelings -- that video promotes how much effort they're putting into this game, and visually I'm not seeing that effort yet. The game hasn't exactly blown me away on anything. I LOVE the story idea, I hate the cheesy implementation.

Back to White Jungle ... that new remix is going to be sick. I'm also pretty excited to hear the official theme song with the singers. I hope the singers at TGS aren't the singers for the actual song. If they are, I hope they sound waaaay better when they're doing it recorded.

There's a tweet from a developer somewhere (saw it on reddit) that says we'll be getting new Sonic Forces news everyday until release. So hold onto your butts, things may continue to look promising. If not, at least we got Mania.

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

On one hand this guy starts off his opinion of the EGX demo by stating 3D Sonic has rarely ever been good, and is clearly harsh for it right out of the gate.
    On the other hand, he states that the Switch isn't just 30FPS - it's still trying to reach 60FPS with no solid cap to 30, resulting in some severe framerate instability combined with nasty input lag for a high-speed platformer.

If this is true, then SEGA's basically botched their first major game they're releasing for the system.

16. serpx

serpx

Second source on the Switch not being good. Those who pre-ordered for the Switch, you may want to wait.

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Eh, I don't even know if I can even say they put a lot of resources into developing the engine either; if the story cutscenes from the story trailer were anything to go by. Granted, this isn't really a problem during actual gameplay (aside from a handful of textures), but the graphics during those cutscenes look nowhere near above what the original Hedgehog Engine could do, and at times look even worse. That and Iizuka himself mentioned that the HE2 is actually an upgraded variant of the original HE, rather than a new engine built from scratch.

18. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Really awesome post dude. I think it's positive to remain optimistic. We've seen so little of the game - who knows - it could turn out to be just as good as Generations.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Stadium's played it, and utterly destroyed it: https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/09/sonic-forces-egx-2017-hands-on-impressions/

[10:03 PM] Overlord: Oh god his diagrams
    [10:06 PM] Overlord: Oh... oh wow
    [10:06 PM] Overlord: I figured it'd have some Spiderman element to it
    [10:06 PM] Overlord: It's entirely scripted?
    [10:07 PM] Overlord: Wow
    [10:07 PM] Overlord: Marketting has done a good job hiding that

20. RikohZX

RikohZX

I thought it was pretty obvious about no manual grapple hook. There's no controls at E3 for manual drifts for Tag Team, even, meaning it's basically just a spectacle gimmick like most of the game.