don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can't wait to see sales numbers for this game. If they make a Mania 2 though hopefully they'll make a physical release bundle of Mania 1 and 2.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Nope, those discounts can't be applied to pre-orders.

European customers save 4€ when buying it from there, by the way.

3. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Please spare me bud. Fucking spare me. You are more than welcome to take my place. This has been a nightmare.so guess this happens quite a bit in the gaming industry, but this title was not one to mess up. Before this and Sonic 4, my last purchase was Shadow the Hedgehog. Granted I can probably get Colors for basically free as I received a Wii as a gift many years ago, but I need to be playing this now. However I'm now witnessing most recovering from their orgasm before I was even allowed to get started.

On the flip side, I made an attempt to listen to Sonic 4's soundtrack and it falls disgustingly flat when compared to just the few Marina tracks I've heard! :v:

4. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I am also thinking on the TONS OF TONS OF TIME THAT WILL BE CONSUMED trying to keep up with the other thread :specialed:

5. Mate I'm not surprised you haven't bought another Sonic game if your last one was Shadow the Hedgehog :v: :v: :v:

My last Sonic purchase was SA1 :ohdear: (that's if you discount the CD/classic remasters on iOS)

EDIT: Actually yes, Sonic 4. Almost forgot about that one. I never thought classic would return after EP2. The music, oh how my ears bled. That was the single biggest reason I couldn't enjoy that game (even over the wonky physics).

6. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So the good news: The money I was waiting on is confirmed to be coming in soon! Got the notification this morning!

The not so good news: It's not due for about a week which takes me directly to and right past Sonic Mania's Steam release date anyway!

So that's my emergency Xbox One contingency plan fucked. I don't think there's any point in getting a console just for Mania if my capability to do so happens after the god damn Steam release date anyway to which I still have Sonic Mania pre-ordered and ready to download on August 29. So damn it. Awesome news but I still have to wait until Mania's Steam release to play it. PC "waiting game" crew represent. :v:

On another note I've managed to evade spoilers up until this point. Hope I can make it through this final week.

7. Creature SH

Creature SH

I've been pretty good about avoiding spoilers, too. I did see one zone name mention that someone put in here by accident (?) before it got deleted and caught the general color palette of a zone before scrolling past a tweet, but other than that and one 175% expected element, I'm still in the clear.

8. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah same here man. Holding strong aside from the spoiler that was ironically seen in this very thread. Not upset about it or anything since it was just a name, so it's like the least amount I could have been spoiled possible. Just hope I can make it the extra week.

In other news Sonic Mania's Steam sales seem to be climbing exponentially most likely bolstered by the rave reviews. I know someone posted a run-down of how Steam Spy can be delayed/inaccurate (three day delay for sales to update and all that) but seeing the graph increase so suddenly is still a good sign.

We'll probably have a better measure on sales once the game's been out on all platforms for a month or so. Early signs are encouraging however.

9. (Cross-posting from the spoiler thread mods please don't kill me)

The system requirements for Sonic Mania on Steam have been updated again. The previous "minimum requirements" have been removed, and the previous "recommended" specs have been made the new minimum. There's no "recommended" specs now, just "minimum":
    • Processor: Core 2 Duo
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card 256MB
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Storage: 400 MB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
    In case anyone wants my spoiler-free opinion: Not as good as S3&K for a few small reasons, but better than everything else the franchise has given us. A few levels disappointed me, but others warmed my heart more than I ever thought possible. It's a beautiful, creative and passionate game with an incredible soundtrack. If the Mania team listen to fan feedback (specifically mine :P) and get more people/time for the inevitable all-original sequel, it'll be the best thing this world has ever seen.

10. So guys, thanks to a friend and fellow researcher in my professional field, I got to do a longplay of Sonic Mania today for the Switch. Its also my first time playing switch and its a pretty neat little system. Its awesome that he was considerate enough to know that I'm also a Sonic nut and invite me over to play when he hadn't even finished the game yet. And my fiancée just laughed at me on my way out the door over there, telling me every time something cool related to Sonic happens my face lights up. Damn her, she knows me far too well.

Anyway no spoilers of course. However:

This game is pure drugs. Drugs I tell you. Concentrated into pixel form. I had to listen to one of the menu themes on the way home, and my eyes may or may not have welled up.

Damn it, just happiness. You will all be bleeping euphoric on Tuesday.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
  12. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

If there is a sequel to this do you think they will do less rehashing of old levels and more original content? Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon were an absolute joy; really felt like I was playing the true Sonic 4.

13. logandoggo

logandoggo

Got to play a bit of Mania on my friend's Switch the other day; it was a blast (pun not intended)

I hope so. Maybe all-original levels, and some way to 'unlock' more classic levels?

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Officially less than one week to go. I've done a great job, only spoiling bits and pieces of the game. I know the zones, but don't know the complete order. I also haven't heard much of the music so I'm looking forward to hearing it first in the game, then going straight to YouTube to hear the extended versions and the remixes until the official OST is out!

15. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Hmm. These are interesting impressions. I appreciate you being so honest. So it looks like the Retro consensus is ranging from "surpasses Sonic 3K" to "not as good as Sonic 3K" going by the various posts like yours I've read. Sonic Mania seems to be the second best Sonic game of all-time at the very least - so that's a heart warming thought.

Can't wait to blast through the game on Tuesday and form my own opinion and impressions. Not long to go.

Yeah I'm in a similar position to you - though I'm basically going in completely blind since I haven't spoiled anything. I've had the willpower of God and evaded absolutely everything to go in knowing as little as possible. Outside of the one spoiler posted in this thread I know nothing.

I'm glad you're still super excited however and look forward to seeing your impressions next week.

EDIT: Just had a potentially interesting thought. Could we have a dedicated Steam release impressions thread come Tuesday for those of us that missed the 50 plus pages of active discussion in the main Sonic Mania thread? As a consolation to all of us in the Steam release boat who'll be playing this for the first time next week?

Thought this could be a cool idea for those of us that have had to play the waiting game. Just a thought!

16. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Tuesday I have my math exam, what are the odds :0

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    For what it's worth, I think Mania is better than 3K everywhere it really counts; gameplay, level design, and audiovisual presentation especially. There are a few small things 3K does better in my books but they're minor niggles, and of course everything's subjective anyway.

I'd be interested to see what someone new to the franchise would have to say about 3K VS Mania, someone who doesn't have prior experience with the old levels in Mania so it all feels new to them.

18. Surely these 3K comparisons are too early, we need to sit on this for another 20 years first

But I really do hope it's that good

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Such as?

20. This. 3K aged like a wine and it's a testament to the work and effort of early Sonic Team that stood the test of time. It's really too early for the definite comparisons, but some ballpark predictions can be made.

6 more days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.