don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I have no problems with my Switch Pro D-Pad and it's a day one. I've seen the same thing reported from a few fellow Puyo/Tetris players, too. It seems to be a manufacturing luck of the draw.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Hm, well that's good to hear that they're not all borked, at least. I was looking forward to picking one up until I heard about the D-Pad issues. I guess if I wait long enough Nintendo will lock that shit down eventually.

3. Even if the PC version does leak I don't think I'm gonna risk installing a shady pirate version that may be incomplete or full of malware. I've waited this long, I'm not gonna risk ruining things because of a few days.

4. Tweedle

Tweedle

Hey not sure exactly where I'd ask this but did anyone preorder a switch version that doesn't have a switch that would like to exchange codes for a steam version. If these conversations aren't allowed or whatever that's fine, or if they're allowed somewhere else point me to them please thanks.

5. Creature SH

Creature SH

heads-up: The official Sonic Youtube channel has started posting more tracks of Mania music. Looks like the first one is only the savestate selection screen, but this may be a good time to unsubscribe for a bit to avoid Zone spoilers.

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Also some spoilers in their livestreams etc.

7. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Wondering the same thing. I'd shell out on the spot for this OST on CD.

To add the Switch conversation, I've been playing just fine using the Joy Con's analog stick.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I can see where you're coming from. That said when Sonic 4: Episode 2's beta leaked I downloaded the shit out of that and had no trouble with it and that was clearly marked as a beta. It was quite nice playing that game early. It's a risky download if a build of the game does leak but as others have said I feel zero guilt about it because I've had Mania pre-ordered for weeks so Sega already have my sale and money. Odds are however the game won't leak and we'll all still be waiting until Mania's release date regardless.

I think if it does leak it'll be so close to the release date it won't matter. Guess we'll see.

9. On the topic of controllers... I've got the Switch version and I haven't had any issues using the d buttons. In fact, it feels like the perfect controls for the Special Stages. The stick works fine too but personally it feels wrong to control a 2D platformer with a stick. I still think that a Genesis d pad is the best way to control a Sonic game, so if you're getting the PC version I'd recommend finding a way to use a Genesis controller. But as far as the Switch goes, I've had no issues with the d buttons.

10. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    I just missed a bullet lol. I was watching something on youtube, and I do have a video blocker on what blocks sonic mania related stuff. But when the video ended, there is that 10 second delay before next video starts and it was game grumps sonic mania video. No, youtube, I don't want spoilers! So letting know that the video blocker doesnt seem to block the next video part.

11. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    You can disable autoplay of videos in the suggestions, so that should stop it from happening. An unlikely place for a spoiler, though.

Seconding this, and I also wonder if we'll see a Bandcamp release of the OST? I'd love to have convenient digital FLACs and OGGs of it to put on all of my devices.

I don't see it happening regardless, because of this community's incredible integrity when it comes to hacks and projects like this. Nobody (in whatever inner circle that might exist) who cares about the creators and their own reputation would share it, even if they have it. Mania, and what it means to the fandom at large, is too important to let it be tainted this way.

There's less than 8 to 9 days before release anyway, so the wait isn't that bad for me. I haven't forgotten all the times I've had to deal with reinstalling XP on computers infected by dubious torrent downloads, either, so I still wouldn't do it. :specialed: Not surprised all the leaks so far are fake.

12. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I'm just taking a pause from the game, only into second zone, and I am having a complete and total blast. I'm speechless at the moment. Your brains are going to BUST. I suggest you get everything set perfect before you play the game. Light some nice frangrance candles. Get a couple large warm cinnimon buns or whatever you like. Put sweat pants on. This is such a fun experience. Agreed, SO WORTH THE WAIT. I'm so happy I waited until the workweek was over.

13. Vixel

Vixel

As a fellow PC only guy I got to play Mania for the first time today at a friend's house on his PS4 and VectorCNC is completely correct on the game's quality, it's absolutely phenomenal. So far I managed to complete seven stages and not a single one of them felt like a dud because the level design, boss fights and general presentation are through the roof consistently. Seriously, the perfect mix between speed, platforming and exploration tied with some of the best flow in the entire series kept me 100% engaged every single second of my play time. And, man these Special Stages are hard as hell, felt like I found over ten big rings and only managed to get three Chaos Emeralds so far, not that that's a negative or anything, just felt like mentioning it.

I had Sonic 3 & Knuckles as not only my favorite game in the series but also favorite overall game of all time for many years now, and so far my first impressions of Mania lead me to believe that it might have actually topped it. Obviously I need to play it a lot more to fully judge the quality the game and where it ranks along side the classics, but again first impressions are shaping this up to be the new best game in the franchise, it just feels like classic Sonic perfected. It's so good in fact that as someone who was still salty about the last minute PC delay prior to playing it I ended up not caring anymore about that.

The game will absolutely be worth the wait. It's been repeated in this very topic multiple times already, and for good reason because it's completely true, so please do not under any circumstances spoil the magic before you get to play it for yourselves.

14. I have a question for those who have played the game. It's a really minor thing, so I don't think that answering this should be considered a spoiler.

Are there still 3 different buttons for jumping (like the A B C buttons from Genesis controller)? This helps a lot when speedrunning the game.

15. Yes, there is. I can only speak for the PS4 version but X, Square, and Circle all function as jump buttons.

16. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The same-positioned buttons on Switch (Y B A) are also jump.

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Mega Man 9 (Wii) (2008) - 83 MC / 84% GR
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) - 87 / 88%
    Donkey Kong County Returns (2010) - 87 / 87%
    Rayman Origins (360) (2011) - 87 / 88%
    Sonic Mania (PS4) (2017) - + - 86 / 86%  

the secret to a successful Sonic game is making a great Sonic game who would've friggin' guessed

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Sonic Rush 82 (MC)/83% (GR)

And people here don't seem to like the game too much.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Bet that would be different if that came out after Mania.

20. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Probably because Rush is a game that has almost nothing to do with the original gameplay.

The previous games I mentioned were all about their respective franchises revisiting their roots of their gameplay. Rush was the point when Sonic Team/Dimps finished what they started with the Advance sequels, and rewrote the former 2D gameplay into something else entirely. Which then became the new standard for 2D Sonic gameplay up until Mania arrived.

With Rush and the series of 2D Sonic games that followed upon it, you probably couldn't get any further from Sonic's roots if you tried.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.