don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Felik

Felik

Thanks. But why do people say there are 3 types of HA in the game and not 2? Or do they mean "regular HA, charged HA and kick attack"?
    Also what's the targeting algorithm? I can't figure it out cause at times only half of the enemies in a "pack" get targeted. And if you don't HA them they get untargeted for like 5 seconds.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The three types of HA...
    Standard homing attack: Up to six reticules appear on targets nearby Sonic and he automatically attacks them all in a chain, destroying them on contact. Doesn't work on some enemies because fuck you. You have to be close enough to them for the reticules to appear.

Charged homing attack: Enemies that take more than one hit (Snail Blasters) and bosses (necessary for Zavok in SR4) can be hit by charged homing attacks. Stay close to the enemy and wait for layers to build up on the reticule.

Kick attack: Kicks enemies in straight line, potentially taking out others, and then they explode. Basically like the homing attack in '06. Sometimes it necessary to beat some enemies.

3. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I also hate that there is both a homing attack and kick. I wouldn't mind if they gave you some indication of which move to use, but they don't :v:

As for Lost World being a good platformer, eeh. I liked the level design in the 'Sonicy' levels, but I hated the controls so much. I think the level design is there for those very select first levels in each world, I just think with how sluggish Sonic is when he walks and jumps for those precision jumping moments that the whole game gets a spanner thrown in the works. I'd hesitate to call it a good platformer when the platforming itself is very problematic.

Of course, you can think it's a good platformer, and that's totally fine :)

4. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    I think it says a lot that I constantly HAVE to use double jump to correct my jump. Even though I've gotten used to being able to double jump in Colors and SLW, I honestly think that if the aerial movement was competent enough, a double jump would not even be necessary. You basically never use it for vertical jump lengthening because you can, for the most part, get onto any platform without double jumping. But horizontal movement is entirely different- some jumps expect you to use that little bit of extra air time to reach platforms. I definitely think Sonic's speed (running, rolling and spindashing) -should- have buildup/momentum to it.

But I've basically given up on Sega ever going back to momentum-based platformers. More and more, Sonic games seem to be becoming style-over-substance, and basically any cool thing we used to be able to do with knowledge of the level design and the physics is now automatically done by scripted events like cannons, springs and speedboosters.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You should know the answer to this as far back as 1996.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Isn't Hill Top literally a palette swap of Emerald Hill?...

Anyway, I think it's worth noting that the artstyle of the Genesis games don't recycle the same geometric shapes, at least not in the vein Lost World does. The Green Hill checkerboard pattern can be seen used in almost half of Lost World's zones. The colors of Lost World's settings/zones also predominately use one or two basic colors, with little-to-no cosmetic details. Which does bring in comparisons to, say, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2; but arguably not with Sonic 3&K and Sonic CD. Lost World's artstyle in general is also very inorganic and blocky in shape, whereas the terrain of the Genesis games is generally more organic or more varied in their structure.

I'm speaking as someone who doesn't hold any qualms with Lost World's artstyle, at least as a one-off thing: given the setting, I think it makes sense to me for the artstyle to be as it is. I prefer something closer to the Genesis Sonic levels in Generations as the main artstyle for Sonic games though, preferably with backgrounds that dial back on the detail (as the only major complaint for Generations' graphics/artstyle I can recall was that there was too much background details, which made the gameplay in the foreground somewhat hard to see for some).

Sonic X-treme? :specialed:

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lost world uses various geometric shapes. By and large it's the checkerboard pattern, but there are also triangles, hexagons, and circular shapes here and there.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I like Lost World's artstyle, but I feel it could have been pushed further to make everything look even more cartoony. Perhaps cel-shading or something to some degree to make it even more bright. The only real problem I have with it is that it's not a Classic artstyle, it's basically "Green Hill Zone" artstyle. Everything is flat and bold. It doesn't represent the diversity of the Classics, or even S1 alone. Generations on the other hand just handles the whimsical and realistic environments perfectly.

9. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I might actually get around to playing this if a functional Tails mod becomes available. Seems like he would facilitate a casual playthrough where I can just skip all the tedious stuff by flying over it.

10. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    Really, Lost World's gameplay, for all its flaws, does lend itself more to alternate character design then the Unleashed style.

I could see Tails lacking Sonic's top speed and a lot of the parkour, but being able to fly over obstacles instead.

Knuckles could have his lower jump and climb walls to make up the difference. Maybe even work his ability to climb into the parkour to make it faster.

I really just want more characters in Sonic games period, but it'll never happen until they can find a control scheme and stick with it.

11. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzjibpOY4V8

This is why I got the PC version. Can't wait to see it released.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's fantastic. 3 days and it's already happening.

While this game is gimmicky as fuck, it's that same gimmickyness is going to give modders a ton of freedom when it comes to designing levels. Like they really made a 3D Sonic playground with this game. The tools are there but Sega put together the pieces poorly. Now's our time to put them together properly.

13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm excited to see levels like maybe Sonic Adventure levels get ported over. Yeah, it's gimmicky and not really needed, but it would be fun to see :v:

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm not sure if level ports from other Sonic games like that would really work though, considering how different Lost World is with its flat platforms and stuff.

15. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Sonic Lost World certainly has plenty of slopes, I'm sure it would work fine. I'd love to see Emerald Coast.

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    They didn't really do anything though to your movement though, so I'd imagine that makes the difference. :v:

Still though, abusing parkour and the spindash-boost would be fun in those levels I'd imagine.

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

Almost each main 3D Sonic game before Lost World understood that Sonic needs to have some sort of variable air speed/control. Mario had the run button and Sonic had the more fluid movement system.

18. Falk

Falk

Paraphrased, this is why cosmetic DLC is big money.

In Bandai Namco games

19. Faseeh

Faseeh

Just wanted to tip that the game is on sale at the Humble Store today.

20. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

For me it still says the game is $29.99. Maybe because I'm seeing this late? Not sure.