don't click here

Wiki Image Restoration

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GerbilSoft, Aug 11, 2009.

1. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
  2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Added 102 files, including 2 SHA1 overwrites (I.e. replacing an existing corrupted image with a known good version of the image). That recovered most of the Sonic Screensaver section, along with a bunch of other files. :) (The rest of the images in that archive were already recovered.)

As a sidenote, scanning with a newer version of the DAT won't help you find any more files. The newer DATs are to prevent duplicates from being submitted, since they're generated after importing new files.

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Here's rapidshare links of my stuff. I ran Retrofix and there were a bunch of matches. (THEY CAN ONLY BE DL'ED 10 TIMES.)

http://rapidshare.com/files/266116205/stuff.zip.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/266477358/Manual_Scans.zip.html

(Some files are just extra in case they might be able to stand in for unrecoverable files.)

There will be more, but it might take me a couple of days to get it all uploaded.

Also, if any of the Sonic 3 and Knuckles or Sonic CD level maps are irretrievable, never fear. It'll be a good excuse to remake them using Sonic Extractor, since the ones on the wiki weren't of very high quality (garbage tiles, no objects, water, etc).

And, here's a bit of an idea. What if you were to upload the contents of the wiki to Rapidshare or some other hosting service once every couple of months or so (or whenever reasonable), so that concerned users could download them. You never know when something like this might happen again, and having the data spread across the community would be useful. I suggest this, because it wouldn't put a strain on your servers if someone wanted to download everything. This is important Sonic history, and it needs to be securely preserved!

[this post was PM'ed to GerbilSoft. I posted it here also in case the PM failed, which sometimes happens to me]

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Quick question. I noticed you apparently have been looking for some of the prototypes from the one large batch release still.

Could you tell me which they are? I still have all of them, but the only thing is that I converted them to .zip rather than .rar files for the most part so as to be compatible with Fusion in compressed form. As such this utility is almost certainly not going to find them, but I can get you those.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Unfortunately, most of these were already found. There were a few SHA1 overwrites though, so that should fix some corrupted images.

We're currently looking for exact SHA1 matches. After a few days, we'll probably start doing replacements for images that we can't find exact matches of.

6. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
  7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This occured to me as well, but if it was accessing the internet my firewall would have seen it =P

Also the result of my final scan ended up with 38 files, 16 of which were new to the DB. My final total then is around the 530 images mark. Not bad I guess.

EDIT:
    Don;t worry about it, I already ran though all of them, from the original .torrent I'm seeding, no less. Only one or two were needed to be added.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Maybe it's because I usually wipe my cache monthly, but I only found one file through the scan... which has now been restored. Go go being useless!

9. I'd just like to say first that this is a fantastic idea to help restore the wiki to it's former glory

Anyway I will do a full scan of my C drive on the weekend (I'd do it overnight but my computer is in my room and it is very loud).
    The sad thing is I am pretty sure I won't find anything because most of my wiki browsing was done on my iphone, it's still worth a try :thumbsup:

10. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
  11. Mikel

Mikel

12. Ultimaximus

Ultimaximus

Does it search for just the file names, or just content? I may have some things, but I did edit the file name.

EDIT: Well, um, never mind. got matches nonetheless, which are all the level maps of some Game Gear/Master System games.
    Maps.zip

13. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Articles___Adverts.zip:
    • skshow_page5.jpg -> SEGAMagazineUnknownYear_5.jpg [SHA1 overwrite]
    • Soj_sth91_flyer_01.jpg -> Soj_sth91_flyer_01.jpg
    • Soj_sth91_flyer_02.jpg -> Soj_sth91_flyer_02.jpg
    • Soj_sth91_flyer_03.jpg -> Soj_sth91_flyer_03.jpg
    • Soj_sth91_flyer_04.jpg -> Soj_sth91_flyer_04.jpg
    • Soj_sth91_flyer_05.jpg -> Soj_sth91_flyer_05.jpg
    • Soj_sth91_flyer_06.jpg -> Soj_sth91_flyer_06.jpg
    • chaotixpage2.jpg -> Kc_SegaMagazine_02.jpg [SHA1 overwrite]
    There were some other files that I'll sort through later.

Art_to_sort.zip:
    • sng_tails_tiny.png -> 20081026211156!Tails_next.png
    3 files added:
    • Sonic_2_Homing_Attack.zip -> Sonic_2_Homing_Attack.zip
    • objdef[1] -> Soned2-objdef.zip
    • Imagenesis4000beta.zip
    (Actually, Imagenesis4000beta.zip was already recovered, but my renaming script found that it was in the archive table, too.)

EDIT:

It checks the contents of the files. Specifically, it hashes the files using the SHA1 algorithm and then compares them against a list of known files (retrofix.dat).

Incidentally, all 53 image files in Maps.zip were missing from Retro, and have been readded. :)

14. TheBarAdmin

TheBarAdmin

15. ZEROninja

ZEROninja

Scotland
    Kamen Rider Kuuga
    After scanning my 2 TB worth of HDDs I've found a depressingly small number of images T_T

.\Downloads\Anime Artbooks\Disgaea\chara\win_08.jpg
    .\Downloads\Anime Artbooks\Disgaea\chara\win_19.jpg
    .\Downloads\Anime Artbooks\Disgaea\chara\win_37.jpg
    .\Sonic\Games\Mega Drive\Sonic the Hedgehog\Zones\1. Green Hill Zone\Green Hill Zone.png
    .\Sonic\Games\Mega Drive\Sonic the Hedgehog 2\Box Art\Sonic2_md_nfr.jpg
    .\Sonic\Music\music24a.mp3
    .\Sonic\Pictures\segavisionssep1992naka1.jpg
    .\Sonic\Pictures\Cartoon Images\Biolizard.jpg
    .\Sonic\Pictures\Enemies\Erazor Djinn.jpg
    .\Sonic\Pictures\Other Character Images\Princess Elise.png
    .\Sonic\Pictures\Super Forms\Supershadow.jpg
    .\Sonic\Pictures\Super Forms\Super_Silver.PNG

I do have other images I know were taken from this wiki but I assume the dat file ignored images already found from other members... oh and any idea why it wanted Disgaea artbook images?

Sendspace

16. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Two exact matches:
    • Hzsubboss.png
    • Sonic_Advance_Zone_Cosmic_Angel.png

Four files that didn't match SHA1, but I added anyway:
    • Sonic3&K_Badnik_Catakiller, Jr..PNG
    • Sonic3&K_Badnik_Mega_Chopper.PNG
    • Sonic3&K_Badnik_Ribot.PNG
    • Sonic3&K_Badnik_Turbo Spiker.PNG

I update retrofix.dat after adding a large batch of files to prevent duplicates from being submitted.

The Disgaea artbook images were used for testing by Xkeeper: File:Test.jpg

All of your files matched, but these files were new:
    • Sonic2_md_nfr.jpg
    • Supershadow.jpg
    • Green Hill Zone.png -> Ghz.png [SHA1 overwrite]
    • Erazor Djinn.jpg -> Erazor_Djinn.jpg
    • Biolizard.jpg
    • Super_Silver.PNG

17. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
  18. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    I have released retrofix-0.4. In particular, this version supports Unicode on Windows. On Linux, it uses lstat() instead of stat(), so it won't recursively scan symbolic links.

19. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
  20. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    Nothing on my computers.