don't click here

Summer of Sonic 2011!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Nova, May 6, 2011.

1. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    So are the happy birthday recordings going to play together or only in their respective region's dub?

2. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Got a public facebook album up so far of most of the photos I took: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...16002.714476301

A bit too over crowded and hot (they lied about the air conditioning!) for my likes and I didn't quite get to do everything I had in mind, but as always it was an incredible experience. I have some video to post as well, I think I may of got the moment when Iizuka aborted Big the Cats existence! :P

Oh and Overlord, nice to meet you at the pre party! :)

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh please, Naka taking group shots of the entire room where I'm like 6 pixels by 3 somewhere hardly counts =P

EDIT: And nice to meet you too, Gagaman! You know I was at the preparty venu about half an hour before that? My timing was waaaaaaaaaay off. =P

4. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Alrighty folks; without further ado, I present to you my report of this years Summer of Sonic with some pictures and (drums) videos (can only be downloaded ATM). For those of you interested, I'll be posting a detailed journal of the event elsewhere. Let's get rolling shall we...

[​IMG]
    [Picture 1] [Picture 2] [Picture 3] [Picture 4] [Picture 5]
    [Picture 6] [Picture 7] [Picture 8] [Picture 9] [Picture 10]
    So here we are at the Camden Centre where the event took place. It was indeed a lot bigger compared to the previous SoS conventions. There were a lot more people this time around. It was that full that no one else without a ticket reservation was allowed in unless someone left the event for the rest of the day. You can check out the other pictures of the venue in the links above including the demo pods (played the Sonic Generations demo, it was awesome; nuff said) and the infamous glass display of Sonicy goodness (there were two of them this time around; one of which included the soon to come Metal Sonic statue).

[​IMG]
    The first Naka & Iizuka Q&A that took place which included Yuji Naka being blown away by the westernized stories of Sonic as well as apoligizing for the infamous barrel in Sonic 3's Carnival Night Zone. Here's another of [picture] of Naka & Iizuka during the first Q&A.

[​IMG]
    "Remember me?!" I REMEMBER YOU! Awesome Wes Weasley costume!

[​IMG]
    Here's Naka & Iizuka doing signings for people. There is something awesome about the fact that Naka & Iizuka were carrying their 3DS around at the event. What was even more awesome was being able to get their Miis through StreetPass Mii Plaza. For those interested, below are the pictures of me and my wife when we got our stuff signed and had our picture taken with Jun Senoue, Yuji Naka, Takashi Iizuka [Picture 1] [Picture 2] [Picture 3] [Picture 4] [Picture 5] [Picture 6].

[​IMG]
    Other signings (as well as commissions) that went on included Tracy Yardley (seen in picture above) & Ian Flynn of Archie comics as well as Nigel Kitching & Nigel Dobbyn of Fleetway comics. I got some signings from off them as well as some purchases.

[​IMG]
    The second Q&A which took place, this time with Naka, Iizuka & Senoue. This included Iizuka apologising for the whole fishing gameplay with Big the Cat. Also included was the whole concept behind why Sonic & Madonna existed with all the strange creatures including Bumblebee Robotnik (when he was working as a slapstick comedian on the Spanish-language television sitcom). Here's another [Picture] of Naka, Iizuka & Senoue during the second Q&A.

[​IMG]
    Here's Naka, Iizuka, Senoue & Sonic on stage with a birthday cake as we all celebrated 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog. Having played the very first game at the time of when it came out in 1991 and then joining the online community in 2002 makes me feel so old right now. Anyways, during the celebration we all at the top of our lungs wished Sonic a Happy Birthday. This was when they did the recording which will be used in Sonic Generations.

[​IMG]
    One of many group pictures. The event wasn't even over by this point and already we were wetting ourselves from everything that happened (notice the wet concrete) :v: This took place before right before some miserable old hag from the bottom window behind told us to either shut it or scram.

[​IMG]
    I'll follow the examples of this one Sonic t-shirt that's out there and say "This is how we roll (UK Retro style)" and I'm not even British yet =P

[​IMG]
    Congradulations to PsychoSk8r & his (now) fiancée Carly. Now that you two have done it and proposed at a Sonic convention, you can't have a wedding without inviting us over =P Here's another [Picture] of the newly engaged couple (sorry for the blurry quality).

[​IMG]
    After THIS gentlemen was honoured for being the "Clark Kent" of Summer of Sonic (as he is never around when Sonic is around =P) along with the "Club Sonic" event, Jun Senoue took the stage with his own performance (he performed the soundtrack to levels like Splash Hill, Generations Green Hill & City Escape, Live & Learn etc.) which turned out brilliant was an awesome way to wrap the event up. Here's another [Picture] of the performance.

[​IMG]
    PARTY OVER GUYS!! Wait, no it's not. There's still The After-Party and Retro UK Barcade Run! =D

[​IMG]
    Another group shot which took place during The After-Party at the Kingpin Suite in London. I was able to catch up with some people who I missed while at the convention.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some group pictures which took place during the Retro UK Barcade Run on Sunday. While there were moments where we could sit and have a quick chat during the SoS convention, we were doing more running around than sitting down to relax and have a nice chat which is what The After-Party and Retro UK Barcade Run made up for.

[​IMG]
    [Picture 1] [Picture 2] [Picture 3] [Picture 4]
    My awesome collection which either went to SoS or came from SoS. Some of which included stuff that was signed, bought (and signed), given out for free or stuff that I made for the event. You can check out the other pictures of my collection in the links above including what was in the leaflets.

So to recap on the entirety that was Summer of Sonic 2011, it was an absolute blast. Without a shadow of a doubt...
    [​IMG]
    There was not a single trace of "Son I am disappoint"...
    [​IMG]
    But certainly plenty of "Son I am proud" in regards to this years Summer of Sonic!

Seriously, it's the best one I've been to yet. I don't think anything can top this now. To everyone who made Summer of Sonic every year possible, I can't thank you enough.

-----------------------
    Picture Album
    -----------------------

For those of you who want to see all (80+) pictures I took of Summer of Sonic 2011 (including the originals), you check it out in the public album I linked below:
    [Orengefox's SoS2011 Album]

-----------------------
    Video Library
    -----------------------

For those of you who want to see the videos I took of the first and second Q&A at Summer of Sonic 2011, you can check it out in the links below:

First Q&A with Naka & Iizuka:
    [Video 1]
    [Video 2]
    [Video 3]

Second Q&A with Naka, Iizuka & Senoue:
    [Video 4]
    [Video 5]
    [Video 6]

Note: Because Jen & I were late for the second Q&A along with there being limited space on my memory stick, I wasn't able to get all of the second Q&A (sorry about that) but I did get most of the important stuff including what was said about the concept art with Sonic, Madonna, Bee Robotnik and all the strange creatures.

I will be uploading these videos onto my youtube account at some point. I'll keep you guys posted of all my updates to this event. In the mean time, I'm going play a game of Sonic & Knuckles and do speed run through “MASHROOM HILL ZONE”! =P

5. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    You'd think I'd remember all these photos of me...

Anyway, it was an awesome weekend despite me being conspicuously absent for pretty much all of it =P

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Jesus, can people keep me updated on this shit? I live 30 fucking minutes down the road and would love to go. :colbert:

7. Kiajinn

Kiajinn

is a Badnik Battery Member
    Sleeping Egg Zone
    16 Bit: Sleeping Egg Zone (Sonic Chaos)
    Nice Album OrangeFox!
    Ha! Two shots of the Ladies I went with haha.
    One of them is just the back of her head mind you xD

8. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Thanks! It was nice meeting you Kiajinn along with JackSkellinghog. Hope to see you guys again. Either during one of our Retro UK Barcade Runs or perhaps at the next Summer of Sonic. As for the rest of you lot (Overlord, Cinossu, NiktheGreek, Blanche Hodapp, Nova, Frozen Nitrogen, PsychoSk8r & Carly, Max Firestorm, Concorde, DarkNoise, Kevintheman, Hannah, Stiv, Dreadknux etc.), it was great seeing all again and as always, look forward to the next time we meet =D

So aside from posting a journal up here which summarizes this years Summer of Sonic (I'm still working on it at the moment), I finally uploaded onto Youtube all the videos I took of this years Summer of Sonic. These are the same ones which were available to download in my previous post. The videos mainly consist of the Q&A sessions with Yuji Naka, Takashi Iizuka and Jun Senoue hosted by Dreadknux.

Again, sorry I wasn't able to get all of the second Q&A but I did get most of the important stuff.