don't click here

Summer of Sonic 2011!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Nova, May 6, 2011.

1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I'll be there this year. Should be at the Pre and Post parties, too. I love living in London. :>

2. Nova

Nova

You'd probably be much better off getting the train. :P

Unfortunately, London being the capital, it's clearly the best location for it.
    Fortunately however, that means you can get to London pretty cheaply from wherever you are. You have over a month to save enough for a train and possibly a night in a hotel. It's not very expensive, seriously - I think half the problem is that most people who don't go seem to think it's going to cost them hundreds of pounds to get there. PROTIP: It doesn't. Also, the event itself is free, if you weren't already aware.

Just some food for thought for all those who were debating it on pricing grounds. ;)

3. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    It only costs a bomb if you leave it too late to buy your travel tickets. I'll be getting mine when I get paid next week.

4. Nova

Nova

Yup, forgot to mention that. If you book your travel in advance it's way cheaper. I get a pretty good deal either way as it's only an hour or so by train to London for me, but for some of you it may be worth going to http://www.thetrainline.com/ or National Rail's website to get some cheap early-bird tickets.

5. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Orenge and I will be there again this year. We'll be getting into London early on Saturday morning (Friday's not gonna be possible because of work, unfortunately) and staying in a hotel overnight, so we'll definitely be at the afterparty and the barcade run on Sunday.

6. Nova

Nova

Excellent, looking forward to seeing the two of you again! I'll be delivering your requests by hand, btw, to make up for the epic procrastinating on my part. :P

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    If you can sneak in a grumpy reporter... :3

8. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    Thanks Nova for bigging up the preparty! We're hoping to have a grand night the night before the insanity that will be SOS this year. Plus it doesn't seem right to not throw a party for the 20th (even if it is a few days late)

There will be a projector in the room, so we're gonna set up their Wii for some Sonic based multiplayer fun on the night. Jetlags prices are not too bad, the £12 charge will easily cover a drink and a bite to eat (of course if you want to buy more drinks and all, more the power to you as that helps towards this minimum spend thing we have to cover...). We got em to bring it down, so if we hit 50, the minimum spend goes down to £10 each at least and so on. We also get use of the sound system, so we'll have Sonic music pumpin all night long too.

In any case everyone's welcome to join the fun, have a drink to the Hedgehogs Health and celebrate with us : )

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    There's a 60-70 percent chance or so that I'll be showing up, given that two English gentlemen were pretty convincing the other day—just need to see if I can sort a few things out in Americaland first.

Also, AAUK, I probably have a few things you might want if you're working on the thing I assume you're referring to—should probably get those to you.

10. Nova

Nova

Hot damn, Jenny, that party sounds even better than I thought! Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. :D

Also, awesome news SS, it'd be great to see you over this side of the pond again. =P

11. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Cool, thanks for that :D

I have a quick question for those of you who have booked a hotel for the weekend - which hotel are you gonna be in? I'm trying to find a hotel at the moment and was wondering if everyone else would be staying in hotels in the same area as each other (if that's the case then I can try to find something in that area too).

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I was meaning to raise that, actually - I've yet to book anywhere as I was looking into what others were booking first =P

13. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I won't have my schedule confirmation until Friday (and thus won't be able to get tickets until then), but I'm fairly sure I can get everything to work.

In the meanwhile, kicking around the idea of coming up with a bunch of arcane trivia and holding some sort of game; would people be up for this?

14. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I'm still deciding whether to take the weekend off work.

Convince me to come, Retro~

15. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    For those of you looking for a hotel that's close to the event as possible, I would start looking around as soon as possible. There's already several that have no vacancies for the 25th of June (some of which were fairly recent). Jen and I manage to book ourselves at the <a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=13+Argyle+Street,+London+WC1H+8EJ&daddr=Camden+Centre,+London&geocode=FbRGEgMdZxz-_ykX9vfdOxt2SDFqy9Jwt_OY7A%3BFXVFEgMdPRb-_ymd53i8Oxt2SDH1_TPBIel9ew&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=51.529398,-0.123811&sspn=0.002109,0.006899&ie=UTF8&ll=51.529198,-0.125012&spn=0.002109,0.006899&z=17" target="_blank">Fairway Hotel</a> yesterday night. The hotel still has quite a few vacancies. Most especially the Double Ensuite Rooms if you don't mind having a whole double bed to yourself. Otherwise they still got some available rooms for one person or for more than two people.

Hell yeah! We should do it in the style of QI just for shits and giggles. It would be hilarious. Never mind the Buzzbombers... quite literately (lol) =P

I was going to convince you by saying Bentley Jones was going but then I don't think you would have like the fact that it would have been just a card board cut out of him =P

By the way. Jen and I are trying to figure out how the Sunday post-SoS Retro UK Barcade Run is going work. Are we all going stick around until 8:30PM like we did last time? That way we know what we're doing with the train tickets.

16. Nova

Nova

My idea was you stay as late as you can manage or whenever you think you're going to head home. I'll be catching my train home at 10:30pm either way that night, but if everyone finishes early and leaves I can just wander round London by my lonesome for a while, it's no problem.

Also, Blanche, come! :D I need a smoking buddy!

17. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    According to Psy, we're not staying at a hotel. We're gonna be going to the afterparty, staying up all night and getting an early train back on Sunday.

Still trying to work out if he was serious or not, I've not done an all-nighter since college XD

Also, Nova? My girlfriend Jo is now definitely coming.

18. Nova

Nova

Of course he was serious, that's like a bog-standard night out in London for my lot. ;)

On the girlfriend front, awesome news. I look forward to having a chatter with you both! :D

19. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Nova, I'll be your smoking companion. =P

Edit: and yes, I was serious. :v:

20. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Oh fuck. You'll be buying the Red Bull for Jo and me then :v: