don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    no, it doesnt work, and all I did was replace the art of a random chunk in Ps...

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    While I did find a bug that caused it to use the wrong tiles, I was able to import a chunk in EHZ1 and GHZ1 just fine.

3. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    maybe can you explain me how you did it? perhaps I'm doing something wrong

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I made a 256x256 image in Paint Shop Pro, scribbled over it, saved it as a PNG, opened SonLVL to GHZ1, opened the Tile Editor, right clicked on the chunk list, clicked "Import", selected the image I saved, then it appeared at the end of the list.

5. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    oh ok...maybe it was the size what wasn't working. Well, I'll try doing it again, thanks for the help

6. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    That looks sweet!

MainMemory, I noticed the first time I checked the Mushroom Hill Zone path swappers that there was one size (subtype 03) that wasn't setup right.

And I would love it if that dialog window that has the object description was editable, so that I could write in the name of each undefined object as I find them in S3&K, and it would save. This would be one of my off-work hobbies, to fill in object names as I browse the levels. (I do know that SonED pretty much has all objects named, but I want to explore, and catagorize objects shared between levels/acts, and which programmer programmed it, out of 3 programmers, and three programming styles).

Thanks to you, I have been able to compare path swap locations, and object placement, between acts. It might be a future way of telling which guy made which act. Yasuhara VS Iizuka >:D

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    That would be kind of difficult to set up.

On another note, I'm making GUI programs for both the main and object definition INI files so that you can see all of the available options.

8. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Ok, cool!

As for the new path swappers, they are awesome! And size 3 works!

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL

10. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Oh, yea, the size 3 mappings one won't work ingame as it is too large, it will not fit the spawning area etc. I only care about the new (path 0 <-> path 1) spath swapper design, and its size 3 works in the editor.

11. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    There were some screenshots of a Linux port a while back, is a Linux port still in the works? Would pretty much complete Sonic hacking tools for Linux if you were.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It's not a port, it's running on Mono. It mostly works, although the double click and right click are bugged (I may just disable double clicking and copypaste on non-Windows).

13. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    In newer versions of Mono, the right-click works without a problem. Double-click works as well, but it gets "stuck" in double-click mode -- but (again, in newer versions of Mono) if you right click anywhere, it will go back to normal.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I'm considering rearranging the GUI to remove the "Tools" and "Tile Editor" windows, instead using a tabbed interface with Objects, Foreground, Background, Tiles/Palette, Blocks, Chunks, Collision, and having relevant tools on a panel on the left.

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

Is there a way to have both user interface options? Several program developers like to provide multiple ways of doing the same thing. Maybe it isn't practical in your case, but it would certainly be nice.

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It would certainly be possible, but then there would be a lot of duplicate code, and it could be a bit tricky to get it to show either the tabbed interface or the single panel on the main window.

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

In that case, go with the interface that's fastest and is the easiest to use; Probably the tab interface you just announced.

I imagined something like this when I read your post; Tabs are used by default, but you can click and drag the tabs out of their resting points to form new windows. These can then be collapsed into tab form again. Probably too complicated and unnecessary though heh.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Visual Studio does exactly that, but I have no idea how it works.

19. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    There are third party .NET controls that have this feature. We use one at work, and it's no different than creating a normal window. You just create a form that inherits from their class, initialize a docking manager, and add the window to the manager. The library handled everything else for you. The only real work on our end was to load and save the configuration from the docking manager each time they opened/closed our window that supported docking. However, the library we use at work is commercial and expensive.

A Google search turns up this, which is free:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dockpanelsuite/

But it also appears that every existing WinForms Docking library out there uses a lot of native OS calls, and will not be compatible with Mono. In that case, your options are limited unless you want to roll your own.

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    SonLVL having tabs that can be dragged anywhere you want is highly unlikely.

What I really want to know is if the people that do/would use this would prefer the current setup or a list of tabs on the main window, with object properties/chunk list on the left.