don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I love you more and more with every passing update, MainMemory.

2. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sonic & Knuckles has Y ordered format for rings (reading bottom to top) for the Glowing Sphere's bonus level, which made me think about Jungle Zone Act 2.

Also, I just tried SonLVL with S3&K, and wish the collisions were mapped correctly for levels like Mushroom Hill. I am trying to get as much info on latest level design for S2HD, as it helps to see how the developers fixed issues in the latest game. Very nice work on the editor MainMemory!
    Is there any way to change the background color to not be black, as that makes it hard to view solid collisions? (edit: Found the palette editor)

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Thanks for telling me, I had actually only been testing with AIZ1, and it turns out S&K orders collision indexes differently. I've fixed it, and collision appears fine in MHZ1.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Hey! So, I am using the Son LVL. I have the disassemblies... and I have the newest revision of the Son LVL program. I have a problem in that I cannot see many of the objects in the game. They appear as those annoying fucking question marks.... I loaded the INI for the game... and went to a level... it seems fine, but no real objects. I tried to load other INIs, no good. What am I doing wrong?
    BTW bear with me as I'm a hacking program turd.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If you're using the Sonic 1 2005 disassembly by Hivebrain or the Sonic 3 & Knuckles disassembly, it won't have many objects.
    Otherwise, try loading a level, go to View, Log Window, and copypaste it to me.

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Ok. Its kinda long, but here it is... BTW I know its long but I prefer to send it this way so other people can see your answer as a reference to solve future problems, instead of 50 other people asking you the same thing later.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    You need to redownload the "S2LVL INI Files" folder from SVN.

On a related note, I've recently fixed a bug with Wing Fortress Zone's entry in S2LVL.ini, so everyone should redownload that.

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I can't for the life of me figure out how to even set up the files for SonLVL, and I get a few different errors, like these:

I know this is a noob question, but can someone help me with this?

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    For the first one, the problem is that you're using the old beta with new INI files.

For the second, you need to put the ini files in a subfolder of your disassembly, for example, "C:\path to disassembly\S1LVL INI Files\S1LVL.ini", where "C:\path to disassembly" is where sonic1.asm is.

10. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    is there any chance that will you be adding an art importer in the future?

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I did, three weeks ago.

12. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I tried to fix those problems, and then I got this:

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Where did you get the disassembly from? And you're using an old version of SonLVL...

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I got it from the wiki, if I remember correctly. It's the one I usually use for SonED2.

*EDIT My latest SonLVL is from 7/26/11. I should probably get a newer one :flunked:

15. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I have an idea. Would it be possible add a sub folder for object Icons? Icons you would make yourself.

SonLVL/Icon/S3K/Pachinko/itemID.png ( Example: E7.png) ItemID E7 is the flipper. So instead of seeing a "?" icon, you'd see a flipper icon.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Ok so I understand now... in other words, for best results, keep updating the INI files from the SVN. Gotcha! Still many things not showing up in later levels... I only assume that will be fixed with time... righty-O then! Thanks!

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    You can actually use image and offset lines in definitions instead of art and mappings, but the image has to be 256 colors and match the level palette. The offset is basically the center of the image, negated, so a 16x16 image would have -8,-8 as the offset.

18. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    definitions? the Obj.ini files?

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yes.

In other news, FraGag fixed my SZDD compressor, so now SCDPC won't crash when loading edited levels (I had to use a different compressor for my hack).

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Flamewing brought to my attention that some levels in Sonic 2 (MCZ, OOZ and MTZ) use one file for both collision indexes. This would mean that SonLVL would load both files, edit them separately, then save them both, overwriting any changes you may have made to the first index file with the second one.
    I have now fixed it, but you'll have to either redownload S2LVL.ini (which you should probably do every time there's an update anyway), or remove the colind2 line for those levels.