don't click here

soniNeko, my hack of Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by nineko, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    How about a monitor that protects you specifically from spikes? Also gives you a power similar to the insta-shield in Sonic 3 but with an expanded attack range

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    [​IMG] --> [​IMG]

Emerald monitor.
    Allows you to enter the Special Stage with less than 50 rings.

edit: added the second pic because my post wasn't clear. The monitor itself doesn't warp you to the Special Stage.

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  4. nineko

nineko

italy
    Gah, I hate to post important stuff at the bottom of a page.
    This post has been moved to page 4. Thanks.

5. Hoppy

Hoppy

Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles Heroines Edition
    The music is pretty good but it has a little bit of slowdown, maybe it's because I run jEnesisDS 0.7 and this emulator version has a few bugs in it.

6. nineko

nineko

italy
    Alright guys, you all know that I fail at delaying releases, so I'm glad to present you

So what's new in this?
    1. A new level, Good Morning Zone, which serves as introduction to the game. It is Star Light Zone with a morning palette. After that, the level order is the classic one. I know I said that I was going to change all the layouts, but I recently changed my mind. For this reason, it is unlikely that the existing layouts are going to be changed; instead, I'm considering to include more extra levels using the Act 4 slots like I did with Good Morning Zone (which is SLZ4);
    2. 20 new songs, in the $EC to $FF slots, and a new emerald jingle ($93, which was the only tune I still had to change from the original Sonic 1). All the other songs are unaltered since version 0.9
      However, unlike the songs in soniNeko 0.9, not all of new songs are made with xm2smps or xm3smps: there are several conversions from Cube games (Snow Bros, Mean Bean Machine, Dino Land, Jewel Master). I still have 7 song slots free, from $E5 to $EB, so maybe I will put something there in the next release. I don't plan to port songs from other SMPS games, this is something soniNeko is still unique for. I ported two sound effects from Sonic 3 & Knuckles though.
      As a result of the extended playlist:
      • Each special stage has an individual music;
      • The Speed Shoes have a specific song rather than speeding up the background music;
      • When you collect the 6th Emerald a different jingle plays on the results screen;
      • If you beat the game with all the emeralds, a different song plays on the credits;
      • If you get both speed shoes and invincibility, a different song plays while both of them are active at the same time (this also applies to the "S" monitor, see below);
    3. 6 additional monitors, 2 "old" and 4 completely new:
      • [​IMG] - "S" monitor - gives you invincibility and speed shoes at the same time. Lasts 20 seconds;
      • [​IMG] - Eggman monitor - harms you;
      • [​IMG] - Time monitor - gives you an extra minute to beat the level;
      • [​IMG] - Note monitor - changes the background music to $FC (Sleeping in my car);
      • [​IMG] - Emerald monitor - allows you to enter the special stage (via the big ring) with less than 50 rings;
      • [​IMG] - Feather monitor - directly from Super Mario Kart, allows you to do one ultra jump;
    4. Some ASM work, namely:
      • fixed some bugs from the original Sonic 1;
      • a Special Stage Selector on the Level Select screen;
      • disabled the Sound Effects during the credits;
      • you jump slightly higher with Speed Shoes;
      • other minor improvements not worth mentioning.
    Maybe there is something else, but this is what I can remember.
    As my usual, I won't post the complete playlist for the new songs yet (also because I already spoiled many of them), I like to see your guesses first :P

A small note, since none of the original levels used the additional monitors, and having them only in Good Morning Zone wasn't a good idea, I changed some monitors in Ice Hill Zone to let you try out the new monitors. I'm not sure if this is going to stay, if I'm going to change the monitors also in the other zones, or if I will revert everything back to normal with the next release. Object placements, as layouts, are still a pending point right now. I'm looking forward to hear some opinions on this matter.

Now, to the credits.
    A billion of thanks to Puto, for... well, everything. I think he helped with almost every point of the list above. Of course I did most of the job by myself, but his help and his tips are always priceless. A few tips came also from Tweaker and Hayate.
    Soti and Oerg, two good beta testers, who gave me feedback even when I sent them 10 roms per day :P
    If I forgot someone else, please remind me because I don't intend to offend anyone.

Now, please download my hack, and let the fun begin :D
    Let me know what you think, please, I wait for your comments and your feedback.

edit: wiki'd soniNeko

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
  8. nineko

nineko

italy
    <!--quoteo(post=197490:date=May 27 2008, 05:11 AM:name=InferiorPeonStarscream)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InferiorPeonStarscream @ May 27 2008, 05:11 AM) [​IMG] :P

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The feather monitor is one of the most intuitive and original concepts I've ever seen in a Sonic ROM hack thus far. And it makes sense, too! I have a suggestion, though; can you make it so the super jump is triggered by either a different button, or through a double jump? I don't want to waste it in case I need to take it to a specific area where it could be useful. ;)

Good Morning Zone is also an interesting concept. However, the layout is a bit... confusing, and doesn't flow well. The music is quite appropriate, though, so that's a neat way to start the game. With a bit of polishing and a new palette (seriously, the current one is pretty grating :x), it could turn out to be a pretty cool zone.

As for the music choices, I love them! They're very upbeat, cheerful, and help bring the surreal feel that I'd expect in a Sonic game. Some are a bit out of place for the zone (Marble's doesn't make much sense to me), but they make up for it by being awesome tunes in general. Your skill with SMPS shines in this hack, and I think that's what makes it great—it's the first hack to really shell out a completely replaced soundtrack. Not even Megamix goes this far!

The focus around music in this hack is something that I feel separates it from the rest. If I had to bring up an example of a hack that specializes in a specific area, I'd pick this one for music. I'm thinking we'll have a clear first place winner for the piano trophy this year. ;)

(Of course, that's since Megamix isn't entering, but still =P)

Overall, fantastic stuff! Hoping to see more intuitive concepts in the future. :)

10. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Wow! Awesome! This is great! I like all the new stuff! Although that sounds like a generic reaction, rest assured that this hack rocks.
    Anyway, you said you wanted to hear our guesses? Well, I can hear what seems to be the tune of a stage from a Parodius game... or a tune from the start of a tune, anyway. The name has slipped my mind. Most of the songs sound familiar...
    A few things though... why is "Death Match"'s music sound so weird? It sounds like the main and back channels are swapped...

11. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
  12. Just played till Spring Yard Zone - it was an insane amount of fun, especially cos of the absence of the speed cap, and I love this hack :D. As for songs I recognise, is Marble Zone 1 from Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure's forest zone? The opening is identical, but I don't remember the middle part of that song so I'm not sure.

13. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    MZ1 is Psycho Pinball's "Psycho" table.

14. nineko

nineko

italy
    Woo I got feedback :D
    Let's split it down... Warning: tl;dr

Glad that you like it ;)
    As for the button idea, dunno, I like the "use it wisely!" concept better. On the other hand, it did use a separate button in Super Mario Kart, so I will think about it.

You know I'm not that good at layouts, especially with those huge 256x256 tiles, sometimes there isn't much choice. I will see if I can find a way to improve it a bit.

Again, thanks for the positive comment :D
    Inferno Zone 1 using a fun fair song is actually an inside joke, much like House's Lupus. The other songs should fit quite well instead.

Hehe, thanks, but I'm not joining the contest.

I will do my best!

That is because that song is one of my first conversions ever, I wasn't very skilled with smps yet. That was like the fifth song converted with xm2smps 0.1, back in september 2007.

Because you touch yourself at night. Sorry, but I had to say this at least once in this thread :P

I suck at palettes, I know :P
    But I can't revert to regular GHZ's palette, since I renamed it to Ice Hill Zone, it has to be white and blue. And yes, I did blue rings by purpose.

Yes, it won't be easy for me to win a trophy in a contest I'm not going to join...

Thanks, this is what I'm aiming for: ultra high speed = lots of fun.

Guys, guys, the songs in the $81-$9F range didn't change since version 0.9 (with the exception of $93, the emerald jingle), and they have been listed in the first page of this thread. You only have to guess the songs in the $EC to $FF range now. I might give them away anyway, as some are from obscure Cube games like Jewel Master and Dino Land (both of which have an awesome soundtrack, though).

So:
    93 Psycho Pinball - Cup Game [emerald jingle]
    EC Dino Land - "Dinoland Boss" [unused] (*)
    ED Jewel Master - "I Got It!" [SS result with 6 emeralds] (*)
    EE Jewel Master - "Fish Out Of Water" [unused] (*)
    EF Snow Bros - Stage 6 [unused] (*)
    F0 Snow Bros - Stage 2 [unused] (*)
    F1 POPEYE [unused]
    F2 Jewel Master - "Spier Tiger" [speed shoes + invincibility] (*)
    F3 Mean Bean - Staff Roll [good credits] (*)
    F4 Super Mario Bros 2 - Character Select [level select]
    F5 Mario Kart 64 - Yoshi Valley [SS 5]
    F6 Snow Bros - Stage 7 [unused] (*)
    F7 Sonic Chaos - Gigalopolis [SS 4]
    F8 Castlevania [unused]
    F9 Mario Kart 64 - Battle [SS 2]
    FA Bomberman 64 - Green Garden [SS 6]
    FB Happy Folk [speed shoes]
    FC Roxette - Sleeping in My Car [note monitor]
    FD Snow Bros - Stage 5 [SLZ 4] (*)
    FE Sonic CD - Metallic Madness Past [unused]
    FF Mean Bean - Exercise Mode [SS 3] (*)

(*) denotes a conversion from a Cube/Iwadare game

15. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I'd love to see some alternate layouts for the zones.

Try asking someone on here do do 'em for you, can't hurt, and it'd take a cool hack and possibly turn it into a great hack.

16. Finished the entire game a while back - while LZ was a pain in the ass, the rest of the zones were quite a bit of fun, even SBZ surprisingly. It's amazing how even without touching the layouts or art you made the game so much more entertaining and refreshing.

17. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    I can't give much of a review as I've yet to beat it, but thumbs up to you with music and all. I've been able to pick out some of the songs left and right . Good job with the White Land remix from F-Zero X.

I thought since you made that Feather monitor from Mario Kart, maybe you can implement a Banana Peel monitor if there's space for one more?

18. nineko

nineko

italy
    There is no space left in VRAM for other monitors, unless I get rid of the "static" frame, but that's not a good idea.
    What would that monitor do anyway? Slows you down?

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You can overwrite the life monitor icon and edit the monitor mappings to read from the standard life icon in the HUD. It has the same effect, and you have the room for an extra monitor.

Alternatively, set up a subtype that dynamically reloads a certain monitor icon into VRAM and simply don't use two monitors together that share the same monitor icon.

20. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    No because that would have been that gray shoe monitor does that and be something different. I was going on along the lines like: You run completely fast and you hit the Banana Peel monitor and you fall back which is like "slipping" on it. Sorry I wasn't clear enough on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.