don't click here

soniNeko, my hack of Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by nineko, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Considering that Fusion is more accurate than Gens, I wouldn't worry about it. Is it just the one?

I'm not sure Dire Docks Zone is the best name for a rocky/ruin style zone.

E: and Why use Mario's voice? A better choice might be from SA2, when you A rank a level. Sonic says, "That was incredible". In fact, there are a bunch of great choices from SA2. And IMO, the white rings look kind of sloppy, when I first saw them, I thought it was due to an unfinished pallet.

As for the cats, I recommend instead of making them foreground, replace that face behind Sonic. Or make it a hidden easter egg.

3. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

This hack is fun. =) Nice and fluid gameplay. Good Morning Zone really confused me, though. =\ It didn't flow very well, like someone else said. Other than that, great job!

4. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Honestly, I don't like 'personal touches' like this in hacks or names of ppl in the levels.
    It takes away some of the hack's imagination with real life elements, but that's just my opinion.
    Your hack, your show.

5. I am going to make Sith Zone now just because you said that :P

Also YES to the cats (I'm going to test it on hardware in a sec.)

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Sup guys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
  8. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Customisable Time Limits sound very interesting. Might be exciting to have to worry about a Time Over in the speed levels, for a change.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I absolutely disagree. If anything, names etched into the environment is more surreal—Craig Stitt did it in quite a few Spyro games, and the cryptic messages in Spring Yard Zone are no exception as well.

10. nineko

nineko

italy
    I've been thinking about both of those things, actually, and a few other options as well. That menu is still a very early WIP (I didn't even plan to post it this soon), and is probably subject to change. The reduced time limit will give the Time Monitor a new importance, since it was quite useless with a time limit of 9:59. And the variable hit count can make the game more interesting too, or offer an "easy mode" to the least skilled players.

11. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Wow, that looks good. Hopefully you remember to put in time monitors around the levels :P

12. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Lol @ Oerg. :P

13. This entire hack proves that there doesn't have to be just character changes and map edits. This is a very nice hack, and I would like to see more of your work. :thumbsup:

14. KingKombat

KingKombat

Aw, the download link is broken. (for me at least.)

15. nineko

nineko

italy
    All the download links are working for me, both the one on my webspace and the one on the wiki.

Anyway, while that this topic is bumped I can as well say that soniNeko is almost ready for a new release. Stay tuned.

16. KingKombat

KingKombat

Well, it's working now. I just tried it, it's an awesome hack. But I agree with Tweaker, if you could set the super jump to a different button (C?), then this hack would be complete perfection.

17. nineko

nineko

italy
    Ladies and gentlemen, let me present you
    This new version offers some new interesting features. Let's find out what.
    1. The new monitors have been placed in all the levels. In particular, there is a note monitor in each zone, and each of them will play a different song; hit all 6 of them, and a different song will play in Final Zone too;
    2. The playlist has been completed, and now consists of 58 songs;
    3. New palettes for the zones that still lacked one (Party Land Zone and The Factory Zone acts 2 and 3);
    4. The leaping animation and the fading away animation make a comeback, in a way you probably never thought of;
    5. There is a new secret "Bonus Stage", with 1080 rings and 20 1-Ups. How to get there, however, it's a secret!;
    6. There are many new options (B+start at the title screen):
      [​IMG]
      • Boss hit count, from 1 to 255 hits;
      • Time limit, from 0:59 to 9:59 (opportunely placed time monitors will allow you to beat every level in 0:59; however, some of them will be tough!);
      • Three kinds of palettes: 00 (mine), 01 (original), 02 (kindly done by StephenUK, which gets tons of credit for that);
      • PANIC MODE -- Try that :thumbsup:.
    7. Fixed all the bugs from the original Sonic 1 I could think of;
    8. Voice clips here and there (get the good ending and you'll see);
    9. Per-boss songs;
    10. Cats in Dire Docks Zone;
    11. New art for the UP and DOWN blocks in the special stages;
    12. Probably something else I can't think of at the moment.
    I hope the new features gives my hack some replayability, I think the lack of new layouts (by purpose) is balanced by the new game modes. A time limit of 0:59 for example can be an interesting challenge for speedruns, as some levels aren't easy to beat within that limit. Also, C+start at the title screen will display a small credits screen with a plug to Sonic Retro.

Well now, download this and let me know what you think, please :D

edit: also, special thanks to SillyJonna, probably the only one who helped me beta test this.

18. I love it! A suggestion, for panic mode, an "ON" and "OFF" text switch would be better than 00 and 01.

EDIT: LOL@Ring panic mode. Especially when you get a ring monitor :P

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The game's not bad. I like the features you have added, however my only complaint is that you assign the super jump to another button. In fact some places you have put the super jump monitor are useless (Ex: Marble Zone Act 1). I'll beat the rest of the game later, probably when I'm less tired.

Music's nice (Choco Mountain = win!) and palette 02 is very well done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.