don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    A new interview with Naoto Ohshima and Takashi Iizuka has been uploaded. Seven minutes long. It seems Superstars is intended to be a jumping-off point for the next generation of classic Sonic, just as Frontiers was for modern Sonic.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    well, yeah, for the boss itself, but given how it's tied to the emeralds, an any% speedrun is not going to be wasting time going through the special stages to get that emerald power.

Super Sonic is also a "delete a boss" button too... for several bosses in Sonic 3 for instance, like Launch Base Act 2, you can literally just stand there and let the boss melt itself.

3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    It's been a busy year for us and them as well. I hope this continues, else it would be boring once the next movie is out. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to playing other games again, too. In anticipation for the game, I've ordered one of the 8bitdo Mega Drive controllers. I know, Superstars is supposed to be a step forward, but I think Frontiers broke my Xbox controller... Great timing, isn't it? :V

4. Spamitex

Spamitex

#1 Knuckles Fan Member
    Sonic Superstars Q&A Transcript:

```
    Question 1: Where Did You and the Team get the Idea for Sonic Superstars?

Iizuka: Sonic Frontiers released last year, which was an evolution of modern 3D Sonic gameplay. We wanted to do something similar with the Classic series that could pave the way for the next 10 - 20 years.

Iizuka: So we decided to upgrade the visuals from 2d pixel art to 3D models while still retaining 2D Sonic gameplay. That was the idea behind Sonic Superstars

Question 2: Will this Game be Acessible to New Players who have Never Played a 'Sonic' game Before?

Oshima: The game wil feature tutorials for those players. There will be tutorials for each character (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy), as well as those for each of the Chaos Emeralds and their powers.

Oshima: We also incorporated gameplay elements not found in previous games (Sonic 1, 2, and 3.) So we can't wait for players to play the game and check them all out.

Question 3: How will the Game handle Difficulty for more Experienced Players?

Iizuka: We started the project with the classic games in mind, specifically Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD, and Mania. We knew that perfectly recreating the physics and controls of those games was the best way to satisfy long-time fans of the series. Gameplay techniques that worked in the previous games will work here, plus you have the new Emerald Powers that allow for new techniques and strategies, which we think fans of the series will love.

Question 4: What Design Philosophies From Classic 'Sonic The Hedgehog' Titles Were Most Important to the Team When Creating 'Sonic Superstars'?

Oshima: When it comes to Sonic, the thing that comes to mind first has go tto be his speed, and how good it feels to race through levels. Creating maps that capitalize on that classic sense of speed and that allow for iconic ball action, or more specifically pinball action, was extremely important for us.

Oshima: So we made sure to incorporate those elements when creating Sonic Superstars.

Question 5: What was the Decesion Behind Having 'Amy' as a Playable Character?

Iizuka: Given that Superstars is a continuation of the classic series, we of course had to have Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as playable characters. They were playable in the previous games and thus absolute must-haves.

Iizuka: Amy debuted in Sonic CD, which is a part of the Classic series, and although she wasn't playable in that game, she would go on to be playable in Sonic Adventure and the recently released Sonic Origins collection. We felt that because she's a girl and is a big hit with Sonic fans, she would make a great addition to the cast of playable characters in Sonic Superstars.

Question 6: 'Superstars' Brings Back Classic Character Fang, what was the Main Reason behind his Reintroduction?

Iizuka: The classic characters Mighty and Ray being in Sonic Mania was a huge hit with core fans. So we thought it would be really cool to shine light on other minor classic characters in Sonic Superstars. We thought that from the start. Out of all the characters we considered, Fang was by far the most well known, and we felt his unique design and personalty was a good fit.

Iizuka: He shows up as a villian working with Dr. Eggman.

Question 7: How's it been Teaming Up to Work Together Again? (Iizuka and Oshima)

Oshima: It had been a long time since I worked with Mr. Iizuka. I remember being really impressed with him when I was back at SEGA. It was really inspiring to work with him again and I learned a lot from him. Truly a fantastic experience.

Oshima: I hope to bounce ideas back and forth with him again, and maybe I'll be able to one-up him and have even more fun working with him in the future.

Iizuka: Mr. Oshima and I first worked together on the Sega Saturn title, "NiGHTS into dreams..."

Iizuka: He was way more experienced than me, but when it came to, more creative discussion, he always like, "No, more like that" or "More like this:. He was always full of ideas. I offered my own, and the back and forth we had back then was so much fun.

Iizuka: The two of us worked on NiGHTS and Sonic Adventure together, and it was so rewarding to work with Mr. Oshima that I sometimes find it hard to believe we had only worked on just those two games back then. Sonic Superstars marks 25 years since we last worked together, and I'm so grateful I get work with this man again.

Question 8: A Special Message For the Fans

Oshima: It's because of the continued support from classic Sonic fans that were able to make Sonic Superstars happen. Thank you all very much!

IizukaL Sonic Frontiers released last year, and we thank each and every person who has played it. That game was a big step forward for modern Sonic, and we're excited to bring you what we feel is a big step forward for the classic series with this new game. We hope you check out Sonic Superstars with your friends and family when it releases!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    He said it

He said pinball action

6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Fixed a mistranslation

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    That's not an accurate translation. I think I HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING OF THE SONIC ENGINE would be a bit closer

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    FUNKY ACTION

9. Deef

Deef

The point isn't about speed runs though; it's about any normal session if you have that first emerald.

The speed running mention was just to express how bad it is, as in, even someone attempting the most optimal manual strategy couldn't beat a player with 1 emerald that pressed 1 button, against that boss.

Zero-emerald runs aren't the norm for me. If that miniboss/ability combo is like that on launch, then it's already a non-fight for every not-zero-emerald session in which I ever encounter it, unless I deliberately choose not to do a thing. And this includes after completing the game and just wanting to play levels again.

Literally any time some marketing moment starts talking about "classic design philosophies", I prepare to cringe a little. Thank god they remembered the speed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Question X: "What do you think about Yuji Naka?"

11. Vertette

Vertette

Iizuka just asks "who is that again?" and pulls out a photo of the Sonic 3 dev team with Yuji's face scribbled over.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Okay, I need those Sonic and Tails bling necklaces those 2 are wearing...

Just saying.

13. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    @@@ LEGAL COUNSELING - DID YOU KNOW? @@@

If Sonic Retro has ever filtered the term "pinball physics" from a post you wrote and changed it to I HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING OF THE SONIC ENGINE, you may now be entitled to compensation

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

please note that this does not apply to those who had the I AM AN UNFUNNY SHITSTAIN filter applied to their post.

If you did, fuck you

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I knew about the pinball filter but what did this one censor lmao

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Sexual assault.

Moving on?

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I think Superstars looks dope, can't wait to play it

(please tell me this effort works)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Splashdown

Splashdown

The official Twitter account posted a reminder about the Modern Amy skin: you can now sign up to receive a Steam code for the DLC, but that opportunity will close on the 24th (two weeks from today).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  19. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    I thought that last bit where Oshima and Iizuka complimented each other back and forth was really sweet. They seem to really get along well which bodes well for Superstars.

Also sort of a coincidental side note but both of the recent major Modern Sonic releases have had a classic Sonic game released as a counterpart which is a nice trend. Forces and Mania and now Frontiers and Superstars (Though they aren't related literally, it is still nice)

Reminds me back in the 00s when they released the more "Classic" (See: 2D) games on the handheld consoles and kept the main line series going on consoles (to less then stellar results of course). It gave fans a bit of both. Those that wanted the more ambitious 3D Console titles and those that preferred the platform-y action of the 2D Handheld titles.

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Do folks already have their codes for the mailing list Amy skin? Was hoping the delivery would be more...instant. :ohdear: