don't click here

Sonic : Super Deformed (SSD)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hitaxas, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Not really, if I examine the new code, and look back at say S1, I can easily figure out what would need to be changed in order to do something. So, therefore, I am learning.

its not really "Selling out"

I never said the game itself would rape, because it might not be true. But, the cyb-out engine IS much better than Sonic 1-3's.

New objects will be nessesary in the new levels and level layouts. I never said there would not be new level design. I am nowhere near over my head, or I would have given up already.

No, they don't. But it sure as hell helps.

No, you. And I never said I was, inferred that I am "Mr. Big Shit".

You may be making these conclusions from the old beta you received. The new ports of the songs are fitting.

------------------------

I am not here to argue with people about something I am doing, Tweaker. I am merely telling people of it.

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Y'know, I was waiting for somebody else to have this opinion, so I could hop in and agree with them :). Adding what seems to be a bunch of teen-angst nu-metal doesn't really fit anywhere in Sonic's universe. Even The Angstbag himself, Shadow, had a reasonable enough soundtrack to do his thang to (The theme to Mad Matrix still makes me jiggle. Shame about the game...). Port some XMs that actually fit the environments, that's if you can't write your own :D

3. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Most of the songs chosen fit, trust me. The whole thing isn't full-on nu-metal "angst" music. Most of those tracks are meant to be used in the boss acts, other acts have softer, more fitting music. I have not revealed everything in the soundtrack. So when you hear it, I am sure you will be pleased.

4. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

BUMP, because I don't want the topic to be locked.

Also, some updates:

Shields, glorious shields:

[​IMG]

Do they work? Yes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also to mention, this hack is now currently on the Sonic 2 engine, everything from S1 is being converted, as well as quite a few things from S3.
    As you can see, Autumn Hill zone is already in, minus the flowers. Expect to see more updates soon, as work is rapidly progressing. :(

5. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    Nice work! O:

Are the shields just graphical, or do they work like in S3?

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

7. If you're talking about the lightning shield sparks being garbled, that's a combination of a SonMapEd bug and a wrong VRAM address. In ObjE0_init, it should be
    Code (ASM):
    1. move.w  #$9BA0,d2   ; VRAM transfer location
    not
    Code (ASM):
    1. move.w  #$9B70,d2   ; VRAM transfer location
    Also, SonMapEd (at least the version I have on my PC, I think it's 1.05) seems to have a bug where it converts certain mapping sets wrong - it does this with instashield and Tails S3K sprites as well. If just the VRAM location edit doesn't fix the garbled sprites, try using this mappings file for the lightning shield.

8. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

That did it. Thanks Shobiz. :(

Edit: Another update:

[​IMG]

9. Which reminds me (it had completely slipped my mind, sorry about that), is Shadow's bubble bounce working properly now or is he still just getting stuck and not bouncing up?

10. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Chibi Super Sonic is adorable.

11. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Still stuck, can't figure it out... His object code is near-exact to Sonic's.

EDIT: Another small update. A recent bug fix made the game possible to play on Kega, which will be recommended as the best emulator to play this on.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I guess my above comment still applies here—a bunch of new stuff with no real direction or purpose.

Seriously. It's not like this is anything new—there's like 5 hacks with the shields in it now and all you've got is a sprite style you didn't create and Linkin Park. What is supposed to be appealing about this hack? I'm not seeing it.

13. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Don't forget Metallica and AFI. :P
    This hack does have a lot of potential, but a lot more can be done.

14. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Wrong. You'll see when it is released. Also, most of those "5 hacks with shields" Are S1, whereas this is S2. =P

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, I'm not wrong. You can say "wrong" all you want, but it doesn't impress me, nor does it change my views on the matter.

If I'm so "wrong," why don't you prove it?

16. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Each hack is unique. Super Deformed is unique. Megamix is unique. Dustin Whatt's Epic Adventure is unique.

17. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

I can chose to release information only if I wish to do so. In this case, I am chosing to keep quiet on most things. Giving all the information out would ruin the fun. If it does not impress YOU, why should I care? You are just one person out of many in the community.

18. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Off the top of my head: Sonic 1 Megamix, Sonic 1 Remastered, SATSEE, Sonic 2 SMTP, Sonic 2: Advanced Edit, and now this. That's 6 hacks with shields, 3 of which are built on Sonic 2. So that makes you wrong there.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, that's my whole point—it's not.

And pulling this "tough guy" appeal isn't going to make yourself look any better. If you fail to appeal to the audience in which you willingly publicize your work to, then you fail to create a quality product. I'm sure the developers of Sonic Next didn't care if they impressed anyone with the game, and that's why it turned out to be a festering pile of shit. Don't let your ego get in the way—I know I'm a bitch, but I'm a bitch who's damn proud of what I've accomplished over the years in the scene. If you want to act all high and mighty, then you need to earn it. And you haven't earned it yet.

So if you feel this "information" is going to change my mind, then by all means, share it. I hope you're not drawing your ego from the work that shobiz and Solaris have been doing for you, though, because I bet shobiz is the only reason you even got those shields working in the first place.

20. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    accomplished? You have yet to impress me.

ok with all jokes aside, I do get what you guys are saying. I mean the sprites aren't even yours, I'm sure you got plenty of help with the shields. All we're asking is to see some progress of something original. Impress your audience damn it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.