don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The special stages were some of the only ones in the series I didn't hate, you could keep those too.

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Umm, there's a chance for a large collection that only includes 1, 2, CD and 3K, because it could include various versions of each game. Imagine it included the original S3K, S&KC, and the brand new Retro remaster; it would already be three titles for a single game.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That would be cool, a compilation of the various versions of each. Like one version is the emulated original and the other is the remastered "Deluxe" version.

Maybe Sonic Jam's easy and normal modes can return? Also so ya is this game basically just Sonic Jam with Sonic CD lock on technology

4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    If the spin-off games won’t be included, then Origins will be akin more to Sonic Jam than Sonic Mega Collection.. highly doubt they would do a Sonic World for this so maybe they can use a menu like Mega Collection to go through any extras and bonuses

I never played Sonic Jam so I never tried out the other difficulty options but I don’t think they’re needed unless they’re trying to get the younger audience into classic Sonic

5. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I just hope they include Sonic Mania’s amazing CRT filters.

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    That's exactly what Sega is trying to do with Sonic Origins

7. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Note that "large" only appeared in a japanese tweet and was probably mistranslated, in all likelyhood they meant to say something more akin to "grand", as in "notable" or "important", not so much "big" as in size.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I kind of agree with the notion that including Classic spin-offs and 8bit games wouldn't accomplish much and they'd more or less just be novelties. I really enjoy some of them, but they hardly compare to the main 4/5 games. They're also far less approachable to swathes of the audience. They just don't need to be there and wouldn't really add much (if even anything) to the overall package. The only exceptions to this I think are Sonic R and maaaaaaybe Spinball and Chaotix at a real push. Everything else? Nah. Not worth the bother, even if they're only cheap emulations. Nobody is itching to play Sonic 2 Game Gear again and Game Over repeatedly on the first boss. And I doubt that that would really be a selling point either.

Origins could potentially be the first time we get definitive, enhanced versions of all the main Classic games in one, neat package. That's huge, and it would finally knock Mega Collection off it's pedestal. And as far as the games themselves are concerned, Mega Collection is just the original games verbatim. It's held in such high regard largely due to a bunch of extra fluff that isn't even a part of the games themselves and that doesn't interest me (especially not in the 2020s with the internet containing said content easily accessible). The emulations themselves are simply accurate and faithful.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  9. RikohZX

RikohZX

If the collection is solid, there's good extras, everything is widescreen and doesn't suffer horrific bugs, and maybe the UI has some charm like a Mega Collection esque OST, then hey. I don't want to try to pipe dream like imagine online 2P races for 2 and 3 or other such things, and I don't think this would end up Mega Man Legacy Collection tier with all the different US/JP versions, extra modes of play, commercials and toyline rundowns, and so forth, but I'm not really asking for much either. Just a damn good historical documentation of definitive versions of the series.

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Simple, just remake all the game gear games in the Retro Engine too. How hard could it be?
    this is a joke please don't take it seriously

11. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    But in all honesty, a gamegear game with Genesis physics would be awesome.

12. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Castlevania Collection has NTSC and NTSC-J versions of games, but I doubt Sonic Origins will provide different Roms. There aren't as many differences I believe, and CD would probably have the option to change soundtrack.

I think Origins will feature a few options common in other retro collections:
    - Rewind
    - Quick load/ save
    - Boss Rush
    - Leader boards etc.

An unlockable Sonic World from Jam would be neat, but now way anyone will go through the effort to add something like that.

13. _Sidle

_Sidle

Boss Rush was in Retro Engine Sonic 2, so some kinda ultimate mashup of everything ala Egg Gauntlet Zone or that one ROM hack (Robotnik's Revenge?) that has Sonic 1 and 2 bosses would be very cool. (does Sonic 3K have more bosses and minibosses than 1+2+CD has total???)
    Leaderboards seem logical enough, though kinda boring since these games are well trotted ground.

Rewind and QuickSave grievously messes with the intended experience, would absolutely not want those in. Retro Engine versions already let you start in the act you die in (and even special stages if memory serves), which is forgiving enough as is.

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Sonic 1- 6 bosses (5 zones + final)
    Sonic 2- 11 bosses (9 zones + final 2)
    Sonic CD- 7 bosses (6 zones + final)

Sonic 3&K has more than 25 total (including minibosses) so yep this is correct

I can see Boss Rush being implemented in the other games as well since Sonic 2 Remastered had it

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. I really wish the Competition Mode stages would be played as 1-player mode for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

In the Sonic 3 Remastered Race stream, Stealth did say that he wanted to turn all of the 2P zones into 1P single act zones with new badniks, etc.

So here’s hoping that he’s involved in order to make that a reality

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

That would seriously be one of the coolest things to ever happen in this franchise's history. I love the backgrounds and music in those zones, and have wanted to play "real" versions of them ever since I first played 3.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    In all honesty, if they implemented a Boss Rush mode in all the games, then for Sonic 3 & Knuckles I reckon they should do multiple sub-modes to account for the sheer number of bosses featured - "Mid-Boss Rush" which includes only Act 1 bosses, "Boss Rush" which includes only Act 2 bosses, and finally "Boss Marathon" which would include all the bosses in the game. That way there's an option (or two) for folks who'd want a shorter Boss Rush experience akin to the other games, but also a mode for those who want to take on the full-on challenge of facing all of them in a single playthrough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Yeah I like this idea a lot for 3&K and I can see it being an option if Taxman and Stealth handle it.

I think someone here mentioned a definitive boss rush (fighting all of the bosses from every game consecutively in one go).. personally I think that would be overkill and it may be too challenging for new players so they will just keep the boss rushes separately for each game

20. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Minor addendum: in Sonic 3, Sonic and Tails have to fight Big Arm, but in 3K, only Knuckles does. How should a hypothetical boss rush handle him?