don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    ORIGINS PLUS IS OFFICIAL: TRAILER HERE

- June 23rd, 2023
    - 9.99$ DLC Addon Price for existing digital customers.
    - Playable Amy Confirmed.
    - Knuckles CD is official, with alternate paths being implemented as well.
    - All 12 Game Gear Titles Added as Emulated Bonuses (Advertised as 16 Games Total)
    - No other 16/32Bit Games added
    - Confirmed Physical Release (Switch, PS4, PS5, XboxOne/Series X)
    - Reversible Genesis Style Cover
    - 20 page Art Booklet
    - Headcannon/Stealth is involved and has been given oversight over all 4 titles and implementing Amy. They're also responding directly to player feedback to make the games "the best they can be"
    - Bug fixes and "requested features.

[​IMG]

Sonic Origins Collection Details:
    - June 23rd, 2022 Release Date
    - Sonic 1, 2, 3&Knuckles, and CD in one single collection.
    - S3&K footage is confirmed (Hyper Sonic and Knuckles in Angel Island shown), widescreen remake confirmed in April 2022 trailer.
    - Stealth + Headcannon devs made Sonic 3&K Remake. LONG LIVE THE SONIC 3 REMAKE PETITION! WE DID IT BOYS & GALS!
    - Strongly implied that S3&K cannot be played separately, so kind of an official Sonic 3 AIR.
    - No word yet on Jetsons/Jackson Music being used or not.
    - S2 Hidden Palace confirmed, Retro Remakes confirmed using new updated RSDKv5 Mania engine as the base for all the titles.
    - Brings the titles to the "Latest Platforms", All 2013+ modern consoles + Steam + Epic Store
    - Classic (4:3 original aspect ratio) and Anniversary Modes Available. Based on textures and screencaps (see the Famitsu article), "classic mode" is still a new engine and NOT emulation.
    - New Animated Cutscenes
    - New Story Mode that lets you play All 4 games in one sitting with cutscenes bridging them. The scenes do NOT replace any of the original 2D cutscenes. Can only play this mode as Sonic. Ian Flynn confirmed his involvement with scripts somehow?
    - Collectable coins unlock Museum style extras. (Screencaps from Classic mode show regular lives still being an option)
    - Soundtracks for Spinabll, Chaotix, & 3D Blast Included as optional DLC bonus.
    - Drop Dash confirmed.
    - No Split screen mode? (Not entirely sure on this one yet, nor about online play)
    - Knuckles supposedly de-confirmed for CD (based on Famitsu article and South Korean Trailer?). Will note if this changes later. (Mods can fix it eventually, guys)
    - DLC Hard Mode Missions with brand new layouts & Challenges, ALA Sonic Generations Extra Missions. (See screencap here: https://www.famitsu.com/images/000/258/988/l_626002776a7b9.jpg)
    - Mirror Mode Unlocked after you beat each game once.
    - Price seems to be 40$+5$ for Digital Collection Bonuses. No regional pricing for Steam copies on PC yet.
    - Mirror Mode is unlockable for everyone- pre ordering just means you have it unlocked at the start of the game.

- No physical version announced. Not (currently) being planned.
    - Denuvo confirmed for steam version (sigh) - According to some in the mod scene, this may not impact MOD development since it didn't stop Mania mods either.

NEW WEBSITE:
    https://origins.sonicthehedgehog.com/

NEW TRAILER:

Famitsu Reveal Article:
    https://www.famitsu.com/news/202204/20258988.html
    FanMade Chart to better explain DLC bonuses and pricing (it's not that different, people):
    https://twitter.com/LephemStar91/status/1516809135232360451?t=Zyndz3tNrIN9u9NsfVJQjg&s=19
    Asian Region Origins Web Page (in English) with more detailed Info:
    https://asia.sega.com/SonicOrigins/en/mode/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Thank you for this!! I’ll just reiterate what I said in the main thread to get this one going:

Since 1,2, and CD are widescreen, it is possible that the 3&K port will be handled by Taxman and Stealth since the Retro Engine was used for the other games.

Possible Extras:

-Prototype Features? (UFOs, Scrapped Level Palettes)
    -Knuckles playable in CD officially for the first time?
    -Soundtrack swapping for 3&K? (unlikely though since the beta tracks will likely be the only option)

These would be really cool.. but what do you guys think?

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Zippo guessed at it, let's be fair. Explicitly said "No S1 and S2", don't credit him for things he doesn't deserve.

The music changes are plausible but for long-standing rights issues we all know about, not because Zippo said so.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I hope the multiplayer is online and is a seperate mode, that way you can play through whichever zones you want from any game.

The s3 2player stages becoming full zones would a nice addition as it would flesh out knuckles' campaign more.

Also since the sonic 1 proto was found maybe some stuff from that?

There was a hack a while ago that allowed you to play through s1 and s2 as one game that would be a cool.

Maybe have an option to change sonic's move set as well as appearance kinda like their doing with the skins in colours ultimate.

5. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

He DID update his original blog post, however, to say that the Taxman remasters WILL be included long before Sonic Central was announced, so I’ll give him that.. and he initially did say Sonic 3 wouldn’t be included but then wrote another update blog stating otherwise

So yeah.. he technically was right lol.. doesn’t mean I’m using him as a source in the future.. he just got lucky IMO

6. I just had come back to watch this video again:

With that said, I do wonder if that version wiill have the same Complete / A.I.R. fixes and content.

7. Linkabel

Linkabel

I know it's not a great game but it would've been nice to include Chaotix at least. Surprised that there's not the usual 3D Blast/Spinball in the collection.

(Unless they're all unlockables or something.)

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I think if you include entire extra games in your collection, you probably put that in your announcement.

9. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I would love if the new ports of the remakes, as well as the new version of 3 had arranged soundtracks as an option. I'd love to hear the prototype music in Sonic 3 given a new overhaul and an extra layer of polish. Doubt that will happen though.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think it's unfair to expect S3K in this collection to have the same level of content as in Complete or Air. Not because it's not achievable, but because it's likely just outside the scope for this kind of thing. I'm sure people don't mean they need to have exactly everything those have, but there are certain fringe features that only diehards will truly appreciate, so I think trying to do everything those hacks do may just be wasted effort.

Big stuff, though, sure. Super Sonic toggle comes to mind straight away.

11. I hope that also means we're getting a Sonic 3 & Knuckles OST on Spotify as well. (Doubt about Sonic 1 and 2 tho', for obvious reasons.)

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

It's a nice idea, but if the compilation is specifically of enhanced ports rather than the usual emulations, I can see why. They may not wanna waste time programming those games from scratch.

I love the concept of a polished Chaotix port with an 'arrange mode' or something as an opportunity to improve its design, though that would require a lot of work, and I think Taxman even mentioned in an earlier discussion they'd be limited in how much they could genuinely alter of the more flawed titles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Neat, hopefully they add more to the collection, specifically stuff that hasn't been seen since their inception (like Sonic Shuffle, Sega Sonic, and some of the GBA titles). At least put it on par with gems collection and mega collection combined, with Chaotix. I still can't believe that game has not seen the light of day outside of a digital only release on GameTap. lol

btw - in case anyone was wondering since the zippo leaks kind of implied it to some extent, we're not (directly) involved with providing content for this. That's not to say SEGA or whoever they have contracted out to do this couldn't utilize some stuff we found. But I do hope that HP was at least partially responsible for getting at least Sonic 3 out from the shadow realm if the rumors are true. That'd be pretty neat.

I wish Sega senpai would notice us some day. :(

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Knowing Taxman and Stealth, if they’re involved they would want to get the quality of life features from both Complete and AIR.

Maybe original zone order?

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I doubt they'd change the zone order. It'd be confusing for people who played 20 years ago and aren't obsessed like us.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Is anyone else a bit underwhelmed by this?

The whole "Sonic Collection" rumor sounded exciting because there was the possibility of it NOT just being a classic collection again. I know this is the first time we're getting these remasters all in one place, but they couldn't even present that in a way that was that exciting IMO. For one thing, there's presumably no Whitehead involvement in Sonic 3K. For another, it took a Tweet post-announcement for us to even have confirmation that it wasn't just a vanilla S3K emulation.

Having the Taxman remasters all in one collection was definitely something a lot of us wanted, and hearing someone from Sega actually say the words "Sonic 3" out loud again is nice in itself.... but you gotta admit, the way they presented Sonic Origins didn't make it look very enticing. It's a very "Sega" thing to do, include stock 4:3 footage of a nearly 30-year-old game in an announcement trailer for an expanded port of said game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh, I dunno - if it's a physical collection - which has never happened before for any of these versions of the game - I'd buy it day 1.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @Hanging Waters ya I'm a bit disappointed but more because it's only this core group again. That's great and all and the fact that these are the good versions is even better. But what about the weird titles? Where's Chaotix or the Advance games?

Oh if this game has a physical release I look forward to seeing the box art because like 90% chance it's going to be new classic Sonic art

19. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I know it's totally unrealistic, but I'd kill to have a mode where these games get updated, Mania-style visuals and unique animated sequences.

20. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    Fantastic. Excellent news! Also very happy about the widescreen confirmation for Sonic 3. I'll be double dipping when they release this. Once on PC digitally, and another for a (hopeful) physical Switch release.

Now, I just have to hope and pray that they spend the remaining money and resources on giving us amazing extras for these core titles and not use it to bung in redundant MD/MS/GG ROMs that I already have bought a dozen times over. I guess only time will tell.

Edit: Removing an assumption

Last edited: May 27, 2021