don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I seriously doubt Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, or 3D Blast will be in origins.

2. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    OK so if we take away the spin-offs, that’s 5 main games and 3 lock on games; and all of them remastered in one way, shape, or form.. I still think that’s solid

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Wait, what? I thought Origins would be Sonic 1, 2, 3K and CD only.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. _Sidle

_Sidle

All available data implies it should be only 1-3K +CD. The promotional texts and interviews would have included clear phrases like "among others" after the known five to convey the possibility of other games being included.

5. Prototype

Prototype

If they were going to include any other games, the logical choices for an Origins collection would be SegaSonic, which is unlikely due to the trackball, and SegaSonic Bros.

But yeah, it is likely only the core Naka ball engine games.

I'm going to be VERY unenthused if this isn't a Taxman and Stealth project and doesn't follow the lead of Mania.

I just have this gut feeling that we're going to get crappy ports because it's SEGA and they don't know when they have a good thing. A gut feeling that Stealth isn't back because he dared to complain about them forcing Denuvo onto Sonic Mania.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  6. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The teaser never outright stated that those would be the only games.. now I could be wrong and these can actually be the only ones we get but we will need more solid info.

Also like I said before, two of the lock on games are already a given since Knuckles is playable in the Sonic 2 remaster and I’m fairly certain Sonic 3&K will be playable as the lock on combo (just unsure if we will have the option to play them separately)

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I believe the misunderstanding came from treating Knuckles's playability as a factor in distinguishing between different games.

8. Turbohog

Turbohog

Lol if there were going to be more games they would advertise that

9. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I don't think we can be making assumptions or even educated guesses about the content until SEGA reveals more.

Here's all we actually know:
    • It's going to include 1, 2, 3K and CD.
    • 3K is out of purgatory.
    • They're all going to be widescreen.
    • Its title is "Sonic Origins Collection".
    • It's going to be released in 2022 (notwithstanding an unforeseen delay).
    • The trailer is preliminary and not necessarily representative of the actual product.

We don't know any of the following:
    • The engine(s) used or developers involved.
    • Whether 3K will be playable as separate parts.
    • Whether any other games will be included (and whether they have enhancements).
    • What music or versions of music that will be included (eg. SCD vocals or MJ 3K tracks).
    • What new features (aside from widescreen) are planned.

Right now, we basically know jack. This is one of those 'wait and see' situations, IMO.

The Retro engine versions being used is a strong possibility, but not a for-sure thing. There could be licensing and royalties involved in rereleasing those versions, they might make more money if they do it in-house or hire a different contractor that doesn't get to own any of the code. They've already been avoiding paying the royalties for the contested S3 music, and we don't even know if that aspect of the situation has changed, or if they've even come to any sort of agreement at all.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    If the Retro engine versions of Sonic 1 and 2 are being used, then it should be noted that Knuckles was playable in Sonic 1 thanks to these versions. That would make him playable in 3 of the 4 games (counting 3K as one game). At that point, I imagine he'd be implemented into CD for the sake of parity. And being able to play as each character in each game.

11. Fadaway

Fadaway

This is an interesting detail. It offers little or nothing to what we should expect from this comp. However, an official source—Iizuka of all people—referring to it as one game instead of two... This is promising. I often compare Sonic 3 & Knuckles to Kill Bill. Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2 are almost always referenced as a single film outside Wikipedia land, which they were intended to be. Quentin Tarantino's “fourth film” as it universally gets labeled (here's to hoping “The Whole Bloody Affair” cut or James Rolfe's edit eventually see the light of day while we're at it). I am hoping the days of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles being called two separate games are beginning to dim. Same game, two halves.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

For what it's worth, the segment from Sonic Central also says "We're working on a new compilation that includes Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD". They're consistently lumping S3K as one game rather than two, which implies that's the angle they're going for. That's the better way to play them obviously and I'm fine with them being grouped together, but the option would ideally be there to play them separately.

13. Fadaway

Fadaway

I would imagine the option to play them separately will be there, however I wouldn't be too bummed if it was presented exclusively in its entirety as one either, being that's the only way I along with many others enjoy the game.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Anyone who's thinking there's going to be more games in this than Sega have said there's going to be is deluding themselves. If there was going to be more, they'd have said "and more!" They haven't.

15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

I would have absolutely no problem with the 5 announced games being the only ones in Origins.. my post was more so a comparison to Mega Collection and what I would have liked to see.

As long as all 5 games are either Retro Engine remasters or high quality ports done by SEGA themselves, I’m all for it

16. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm glad it's just Sonic 1, 2, 3, and CD honestly. I don't think the others really have anything except novelty value except for Mean Bean Machine. Should mean they can put the effort into making the classic Sonic games the best they can be.

17. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, there's been no indication (besides a tweet stating this will be a "large collection") that more games will be included. A new release of 1, 2 CD and 3K (each up to the standard of the mobile remasters) would still make a good collection. They could sweeten the deal by including Mania Plus. I know the purpose of Origins is to go back to the 90's; the numerical games & CD, but Mania belongs with the classic games and it would be the icing on the cake to have it included with them in a physical release for PS5, XBSX & Switch.

Also, at least we're getting playable Sonic the Fighters in Lost Judgment. Although, I'm not paying £50 for Lost Judgment just so I can play Fighters on PS4...
    I totally am, lol

18. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I’d like to see Chaotix in widescreen added to the collection with Sonic and Tails added as playable characters too. Then remove the ring tethering feature. That’s just wishful thinking. I doubt this will happen.

19. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I too would like an entirely new 2D Sonic game lol. I'm just kidding, I think a Chaotix remaster in the retro engine would be higher on my list of wants than S3K. S3K is already great, Chaotix has the potential to be great.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    That game would have to have a full on redesign for it to work, the only thing I would salvage from that mess of a game is the music and the level themes.