don't click here

Sonic (music) Archive

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SeanieB, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    This would be something I'd love to help with.

I think it'd be wise to keep all the music totally lossless; the older music in GYM/VGM, and the newer ones in the native formats with .FLAC and .mp3 alternatives.

It might be wise to compile a list now of what is needed (and maybe chose a preferred emulator for GYM files). I'd be happy to get to work extracting music from games I have and converting/tagging them to other formats.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Not using in_vgx, I see? Well, I guess the balance is a bit off on that one. :/ Not really sure why you'd need to archive the deprecated format when the VGM format does everything and more and doesn't require much more in terms of processing power or memory use.

3. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Well, that would be cool, but that is what the VGM files are for, accuracy over all, and we will have AAC/MP3 for people that just want a good copy in a more universal format, unfortunately FLAC is rather large and I wont be able to expand my server space until at least February, then that might be able to start happening but FLAC is pretty big and underused unfortunately, so it may not be worth it.. Sure it's worth it to the people who always use FLAC, but not everyone has it available on their computers, let alone other things like MP3 players and etc.

4. Yuzu

Yuzu

Another nice thing to have would be some guides for the music format and using them, considering it's generally hard for a new user to know how to use VGMs, ADXs and such.

5. NickW

NickW

I have a few questionable sets/musics I'm not sure if you want it or not:

Sega Superstars Tennis - Since only a couple pieces of music are for Sonic's court, and those are all from Sonic Adventure 2 & Sonic Heroes.

Mario & Sonic

Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary - There are 2 pieces of music that are remixes of songs that are in Mean Bean Machine.

Smash Bros Brawl - Angel Island Remix, Right There Right On, that piece of music from Sonic 06.

Also, is someone willing to check Sonic 06 for PS3 to see what music format that is?

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I have full ADX rips for the following:

03/11/2008 02:04 <DIR> Sonic and the Secret Rings
    03/11/2008 02:04 <DIR> Sega Superstars
    03/11/2008 02:04 <DIR> Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg Beta (only a couple of files here, actually)
    03/11/2008 02:04 <DIR> Sonic Adventure 2 Alpha
    03/11/2008 02:04 <DIR> Sonic Adventure 2 - The Trial
    03/11/2008 02:04 <DIR> Sonic Adventure 2
    03/11/2008 02:05 <DIR> Sonic Adventure
    03/11/2008 02:05 <DIR> Sega Superstars (Demo)
    03/11/2008 02:05 <DIR> Sonic Heroes Demo (PC)
    03/11/2008 02:05 <DIR> Sonic Heroes E3 Demo (XBox)
    03/11/2008 02:05 <DIR> Sonic Heroes Beta (XBox)
    03/11/2008 02:05 <DIR> Sonic Heroes Demo (GC)
    03/11/2008 02:05 <DIR> Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg
    03/11/2008 02:05 <DIR> Sonic Heroes (XBox)
    03/11/2008 02:06 <DIR> Sonic Gems Collection (GC)
    03/11/2008 02:06 <DIR> Shadow the Hedgehog
    03/11/2008 02:06 <DIR> Sonic Mega Collection
    03/11/2008 02:06 <DIR> F-Zero GX
    03/11/2008 02:06 <DIR> Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
    03/11/2008 02:07 <DIR> Sonic Adventure DX
    03/11/2008 02:07 <DIR> Sonic Riders
    20/11/2008 21:33 <DIR> Sonic Unleashed (Wii)

7. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Is that on an FTP somewhere or something? Link?

8. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I would love this idea in it's entirety, if it were a complete lossless archive of Sonic soundtracks (flac :v:). And not just rare hard to find soundtracks, but I would like to hear lossless recordings of the Genesis music, preferably Knuckles Chaotix, from an actual Sega Genesis. Kinda like the soundtracks of Sonic 1-3D you can get from gh.ffshrine.org, but way better since it's lossless. If you're looking for the space to support all of that, I can try and help in some way.

I can help you with some soundtracks if you want, but mind you I'm currently requesting and searching myself. :P

Also, I know Project Fidelity existed, but that's been dead for a while ever since the tracker disappeared the first time. I would love to see this torrent be brought back from the dead, but I don't think many people are interested. I had everything downloaded from that torrent, but unfortunately that disappeared from a hard drive wipe.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's not, it's on my HDD. =P I can upload to whatever you want, though.

10. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Like I said, FLAC is huge and unless someone has a deep pocket and some generosity I'll need to pay out to add HDD space, which I was going to do anyway but is ABR/VBR AAC enough? It's not _as_ lossy, but it's not huge either.. There needs to be a compromise between lossless and not as lossy.

I need riders, shadow and secret rings, thanks!

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    In the mean time, you could host any lossless soundtracks you have on megaupload.com, since you can actually upload quite an amount with decent speeds - unlike rapidshare. I'm currently talking to some people who might be able to help.

Or hell, we could try DropBox. I have a lot of invites to this, plus I've personally used it many times and it has never let me down. Plus, you can even hotlink! Even if you were to quickly lose space in your DropBox account, you can always find someone else to upload it for you to their DropBox as well. From being a beta tester granted me 2GB of space that I can use, so I have plenty I suppose.

But hell, there are probably better alternatives out there as well. I'm sure we can work things out somehow.

If you're interested in DropBox, drop me a PM. I think you can sign up now, but I think if I were to personally invite you, it would give you more space. I'm not sure how it works now.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  13. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Wow, sounds neat. I'll give this a go when I get my flash cart from Hong Kong or wherever the hell it is arrives.

14. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro

Yeah, Lossless recordings are best left up to VGM for the Gen stuff.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yes, they're significantly smaller than FLAC -- the only real issue with them is that they are tracks that require emulation -- if the sound core isn't up to snuff, they won't sound right.

16. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    But most people don't have FLAC compatible players either, and I'd think anyone that could play a FLAC file could handle Audio Overload..

17. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Not sure what you mean by "players" (portable, programs?), but you can always convert the FLAC files to Apple Lossless and they'll play on your iPhone/iPod (Touch/Classic/Whatever). Most programs out there even come with the plugins needed to play most codecs, such as Winamp.

I don't really trust emulators, because you can play any game in any emulator and it can sound different. As far as I know, even 32X sound emulation still has some work to be done (well, maybe not Fusion :*). In my mind, I think of accuracy over quality. However, from what I've heard, even different Genesis models can produce different sound. So I don't know, I think I might be losing my own argument. :P

18. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro

Maybe that can come after I expand my HDD space by a few GBs in a couple of months. Right now it's just overkill...

19. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
  20. Dude, no need to get on my case

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.