don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's not an issue in other videos, so I can only assume that you're right and it's just an issue with the particular recording.

You know... I'm genuinely curious as to what Sonic Team (and Dimps) think about this game compared to Sonic 4. It really is everything that Sonic 4 was billed as, everything that Sonic 4 wasn't and everything that Sonic 4 should have been. It's hilarious. Sorry for bringing up Sonic 4 yet again, but it just keeps playing on my mind.

2. Deef

Deef

Honestly I don't think anyone at Sonic Team ever cared about how Sonic 4 compared to anything. Nothing about Sonic 4 said "We really give a damn."

@Felik, can you elaborate on glaring issues? Just want to learn really. Do you also disagree about my "more options than Megadrive zones, more flow than CD zones" comment?

3. Felik

Felik

Mostly enemy placements. Especially the snailbot. And I can't truly agree or disagree on the CD thing since I haven't played it yet but you seem to have a point. It seems to have a lot of "you MUST roll here" moments though.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    This almost never happens with demos meant for events with any game. I imagine this is because:

- It'd be datamined and if too much stuff is left inside the demo potentially everything could be spoiled.
    - At events there are representatives who are there for if stuff goes wrong, with a home release people would complain about the bugs and errors online making the game look bad. Heck, people here are already complaining about obviously unfinished stuff in the demo just by watching videos.
    - A public demo for a multiplatform game would have to be made ready for every platform so nobody is left out, with an event they can just demo the PC build.
    - It takes time to make a demo ready for public release, it already takes time to make a demo for events. And making one in turn means less time spent on developing the actual game.

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    As Deef said, I don't think Sonic Team or Dimps really gave a damn at all about Sonic 4, and I don't think they really care much about Mania either. Its worth noting that historically, Sonic Team hasn't had much input for the Western-developed Sonic games as it is (especially with how the likes of Chronicles and the Boom games have turned out, lol). With that said, I'd say it's probably an absolute godsend thing they aren't heavily involved with Mania (speaking in terms of creative control here).

Personally, I'm more interested as to what the outcome would be if 2017 comes around, and Sonic Mania came out and got critical acclaim across the board, and Project Sonic 2017 gots a significantly less enthusiastic/more indifferent response. Wouldn't be surprised if this actually came true TBH.

6. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    At the very least, I can see Mania selling a hell of a lot more than Project Sonic 2017.

Either way the acclaim this game will probably get is hopefully going to make Dimps/Sonic Team take a slice of humble pie if the past ten years haven't done that already.

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I plan on gifting Mania to several of my friends depending on their interest and the price, but right off the top of my head I know at least two.

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I think Iizuka (even if the rest of Sonic Team doesn't) will have more than a passing interest in Mania. I mean, Mania - unlike Sonic 4 - is actually trying (and succeeding) in being a proper sequel to classics. Considering Iizuka worked on 3&K I'd think he'd want a proper sequel to do well. Whether he'd want Mania to do well enough to get a sequel is anyone's guess. Of course I'm sure he'd prefer Project 2017 to get a better reception.

I can see Mania easily getting scores of 8/10 & 9/10, getting a far better reception than Project 2017.

We are probably still eight months from release date. The wait is going to be excruciating. Don't think I've ever been so hyped for a Sonic game.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't think anybody has ever been hyped for a Sonic game this early?

Even Sonic 2 was first shown less than half a year before release, wasn't it?

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqgkPCEIP8&feature=youtu.be&a

Kinda doubles down that this will be digital only for those unconvinced, but is a great watch nonetheless.

11. ElectricSparx

ElectricSparx

United States
    Temporal Shift: Flow of Eternity
    I love how it perfectly mimics that one Sonic 2 commercial.

Too bad I don't have $70 on hand though, this is probably going to sell out before I can get that money.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  13. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Nice to know that they have physical versions of the statue and "cartridge" at this point in time (unless that's some really good studio trickery). That statue is far larger than I was anticipating.

Amazon doesn't take the money from you until the item ships, you'll be safe to lay down a preorder providing you have the funds in time for shipping.

Edit: I now want an "Iizuka-San Fan Club" t-shirt. :v:

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Congrats on your engagement, Aaron! When's the wedding? *shot*

That video is just so many levels of amazing. Hoshino's t-shirt cracks me up every time I see it.

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I completely overlooked the shirt. Goodness gracious.

[​IMG]

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Nice "$6231991" at the end.

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Ehhhh, Iizuka had his chance to do a proper sequel to Sonic 3&K by being the producer to Sonic 4, and I feel he kinda totally bungled with that title. Remember, when asked about the physics, his response was that his team "had not done a straight port of the gameplay [from the Genesis games], but rather updated it with actions which could not be done in the previous titles, like ceiling-running".

[​IMG]

M'kay, sure.

And while he did work on Sonic 3 & Knuckles as a co-senior game designer (the other one being Hisashi Yoshida); he arguably had minimal input in the overall direction of the game. All of the Genesis classic games (excluding Ohshima's CD) were Yasuhara's babies in terms of game direction and design.

Going back to Mania, that mockup commercial is pretty cool. The Iizuka-san Fan Club bit's pretty chuckleworthy. All that was missing was Sega of Antarctica's Ben Kalough to show up. Still holding out hope for a retail release.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm just about ready to declare that Sonic social media is the best thing to eve come out of the series. A nostalgic self parody of a parody...

19. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    "Aaron Webber Husbando sold separately"

This joke commercial is the best! Just when I think the Sonic Twitter couldn't get better, they make stuff like this. :specialed:

To add to this, there's always a certain crowd of people that will be satisfied just owning the demo, or won't feel as pressured to buy the full game eventually. (Then you got people on the opposite side who buy games and forget to play them.)

Demos are still a powerful tool for indies, though.

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Congrats to Aaron for his upcoming nuptials!

Wedding catered by Totinos

:v:

That commercial was outstanding. I want that freaking box