don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Kyro

Kyro

i cant think of a single boss that is made better by being in 4:3 :p

2. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    I didn't played S3K in 16:9 yet, but I think that lava reef act 2 boss has more space, that means it has even more time for bombs to swim from one side of screen to another one.
    Definitely worst boss in history.

3. Kyro

Kyro

actually yeah i think you're right but ive only played that boss in origins once.

the solution in this case is to just remove the boss

4. Or allow to hit him youself, because despite this boss' problems, you gotta admit it got an awesome atmosphere to tell the player's getting close to the endgame.

5. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

Aquatic Ruin Zone. In 4:3, you can spin dash repeatedly off of one of the pillars and as long as you time it right, you'll hit him every time. In 16:9, he gets too far away for you to do that.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    4:3 version also has "funny" bug, that makes you stuck on one of the pillars, and because of this you can't spindash boss. Just jump, so it's not that serious difference ;)

7. There are a few whose arenas are stretched in 16:9 compared to the Og 10:7 (320x224, the internal Genesis screen resolution, isn’t actually 4:3). The ARZ boss was already mentioned, but I’d also like to bring note to the GHZ boss, as that boss ends up moving horizontally much faster to make up for the difference in distance between the screen edges; a change that can be seen as a negative for sure.

It and the ARZ boss are the only two I can think of that explicitly got harder from being in 16:9, though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    Funnily enough 16:9 actually makes Big Arms more interesting when you fight it in your Super forms. They made it so you no longer could cheese Big Arms by walking on top of it while it patrols below the platform. However because it's extended to 16:9, they also made it so when you go over the pits at the edge of the screen, you float around like at the start of Sky Sanctuary. This floating state is just low enough for you to hit Big Arms below the level. So, at least in my opinion, I'd say that's an improvement.