don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I hate most of Mania bosses. I don't hate Oil Ocean boss. I hate the Hard Boiled Heavies as characters too. I'll stop here, before armageddon happens.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I just hate Oil Ocean entirely. haha

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Mania's second act is actually really good, it's just the smog stuff that knocks it back a few pegs.

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I agree with MM2 Boss, but there's a couple of other bosses that would fit nicely in Mega Drive classics, and I don't love them but at least those don't ruin my gameplay experience. The waiting game with so many bosses does ruin my experience, and also some other annoyances, like the bosses being more dangerous if you're super because of accidental crushes, or even more boring. I stated before that I hate the metal sonic fight the most, and super sonic sends the silvers to high to hit metal, so you're stuck there until rings run out or you're extremely good at hitting silvers in the right place before that happens.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher

6. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    I don't really like the drop dash at all. I only ever use it accidentally, and it usually hurts me more than it helps. Jumping through a platform that you have to hold jump to reach and you don't let go of jump in time? Dash off that platform back to where you started.

Also,
    finishing the last special stage to unlock fucking Blue Sphere feels like the biggest dick move in the universe.

7. Epicsuperleader

Epicsuperleader

I personally only felt like the flying battery zone boss was bad and all the others where amazing. The ooz act 1 boss is cheap but only happens on your first game (assuming you didnt defeat him before the attack).
    Also how can you hate the hard boiled heavies as characters, they basically have no personality, and at worst there just re skinned egg robos.

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I fail to see your point. You have to double jump and then hold in order to drop-dash. If you jump and hold, you'll just jump longer.

9. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Yeah, I agree with this except for heavy gunner. He was the only hard boiled I actually kind of liked. That being said, I would still enjoy watching him be destroyed by Sonic 3's Big Shaker.

10. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Just hold jump. The drop dash isn't activated unless you press jump again AFTER you jump the first time. If you're jumping through to a higher platform then just hold jump until you get there. Pressing and holding jump again when you're already in the air doesn't give you any extra height, so it's literally impossible to activate the drop dash from what you're doing unless you activate it yourself. Drop dash also requires that you're at or near peak jump height in order to start charging (i.e. You can't charge it while ascending during a jump), so you would need to ACTIVELY be pressing jump again in the small window of time you have before you land on the platform. The second button press is just unnecessary and not the game's fault at all.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

How can anybody hate the HBHs as characters? They've shot right to the top of my list of favourite Sonic villains other than Eggman himself (not that the competition is up to much...). They remain loyal to Eggman, except the King at the last minute, but are eccentric and unpredictable. All of them have the childish playful whim of Eggman himself, and they're just bursting with personality. They're very strong character, and this shown through their sprites and boss fights brilliantly. Gunner alone would be a really fun character as a deranged or powered up version of the Egg Robo that Knuckles battled in 3K, but making an entire troupe of these extra quirky robots was even better.

I absolutely hope that they make a return in future titles, and not just Classic ones. As recurring, occasional villains, these guys have so much potential.

12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    While the Hard Boiled Heavies are great as characters and really expressive, I think they look really cool too. I'd really like to see them come back. They are my favourite villains in the Sonic series after Eggman and Metal Sonic.

But then I also worry how Sonic Team would fuck them over if they used them, sooo :v:

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yes, I almost mentioned that too. Much like the Koopalings and Bowser Junior in Mario, the HBHs could easily be overused. I'd argue that Metal Sonic is already overused actually. He was a major character in CD and his return was quite a big thing in Heroes (even though he was unrecognisable until the final cutscene), but now he's just frequent. He didn't add anything to S4 or Boom, he had a stupid role in Free Riders and he's showing up in Forces as a part of Eggman's new army even though he's always there. Mania sees him as just any old regular boss and I'm Generations is barely different.

But yeah, the HBHs absolutely should be seen again from time to time. And their theme tune is bloody perfect.

14. No, the kids love the zeti. The HBH don't even have 3D models. Shut up.

Seriously though. Love them, wish they did more in this game. Even if it was driving the minibosses.

I kinda agree that Metal Sonic is a bit overused now but then again Eggman needs a lackey or two...

15. Felik

Felik

The only thing I didn't like about HBHs (aside from bossfights themselves being mostly meh) is the fact that dev team just had to make one of them a token chick. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against women representation but they are robots and I prefer to just think of them as genderless, so this design choice feels really corporate checkbox-y and pandering. The fact she is magenta-to-pink also doesn't help.

16. *whispers* there are two. Heavy Magician is a lady.

The thing that kinda is on my mind before that is "did they have a gender before the phantom ruby morphed them and does all of Eggmans's robots have a gender?"

17. Felik

Felik

Huh, she is? Well, I still would prefer them to be genderless but that fact actually negates a lot of my criticism then.

18. I doubt the team was thinking about stuff like that when the designed them. Personally I think the genders give them a bit more personality

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    This was answered ages ago in generations, but yes he does. I don't know why he assigns his robots genders and honestly its a creeper side of Eggman I really didn't need to know about.

20. Creature SH

Creature SH

The robots would de facto have a gender, anyway, since people default to calling them "he". Can't really get around it.